Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hislop thumbs up

Desmond7

First time I've watched C4 in ages......... damn good show. I thought it was a one-off, but this was pt1 of 4....... roll on next Sunday :D

I've had a quick look at C4's site and their "lost generations" section - what a surprise, it's so busy even my 10meg broadband connection struggled to get the "file 404" message :lol: I hope that once Channel 4 have done what they intend to do with the gathered info, that they pass it to the memorial people doing the same thing. It would be a pity to lose this resource.

Well Channel 4 and well done Mr Hislop!

Les.

(knowing that he has an interest in all things war, do you think he's registered here?)

One of the most affecting things to have come out of this was the great lady determined to establish the long overdue memorial in her village. She really is a shining example of a "younger person" taking on board the meaning and spirit of Remembrance and bringing her relative youth and energy to righting an old wrong

One of the most affecting things to have come out of this was the great lady determined to establish the long overdue memorial in her village. She really is a shining example of a "younger person" taking on board the meaning and spirit of Remembrance and bringing her relative youth and energy to righting an old wrong

I would have to agree with you there Ludovica, I had very similar thoughts myself.

Stephen

Loved the story of Private Kerman and the new memorial - what lovely people the villagers seemed - and I admire the stand their forbears took on kerman's behalf.

Captain Fryatt's segment was good too - was so proud to know who he was because I'd followed his thread on this Forum earlier in the year.

Great programme.

Marina

Thumbs up from me too. Mr Hislop seems to have redeemed himself. Well done Channel 4.

Wonder what ian thinks of you max

and you a moderator and all

bruce :lol:

Just because I am a moderator doesn't mean that I can't think that someone is a smug little $^&* :rolleyes:

Yes, nicely done and Ian H presented it well and obviously loves the period. No trace of his usual smugness IMHO but I think Andy's aluding to it does probably fall within the definition of fair comment.

Roll on the next programme. The news that the Channel 4 webpage/database supporting the programme is overwhelmed with hits is great news.

I'm not a TV person and I do not particularly like Hislop but I have to give the man credit. It was a good piece of TV and it's wonderful to know that interest in WW1 is alive and well.

The stories were all fascinating, the people delightful.

Regards

Carninyj

Good programme, and nice to see the late Gill Knight (a member of this forum), and her book on the Civil Service Rifles both used in the episode tonight and mentioned in the credits in relation to this man:

Name: TARDIF, VALENTINE SULLOCK AVELINE

Initials: V S A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: London Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles)

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 2604

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Frances A. Tardif, of "Hope Cove," Salcombe Rd., Ashford, Middx.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. D. 38.

Cemetery: CATERPILLAR VALLEY CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL

Looking forward to future episodes.

I would have to agree with you there Ludovica, I had very similar thoughts myself.

Stephen

Thank you. I really think we are at a crossroads now in terms of "awareness". I know a lot of incredibly knowledgeable and expert people on this forum occasionally get a little tired with the "dramatic reconstruction" type of programme, so I imagine they'll be rather pleased with Mr Hislops very fresh, quite academic approach on this one.

Speaking as a person "just over 40" I like both approaches. My 11 year old thoroughly enjoyed, and was engaged by, the programme on "The Red Baron" the other night.

Reconstruction suits her level of attentiveness far better than doing as I did at her age, (ie sitting through every program of "The Great War" mesmerised that I was looking at the very things my grandfathers had seen with their own eyes)

(She saw a fair chunk of it over a recent-ish school holiday, and I can confirm that the jerky b/w images she found confusing, remote and hard to follow)

Mr Hislop's program however, has given us a good blend of history with a modern day detective element that I think will be pretty useful, educationally speaking, to a younger generation in understanding "what it all means" and all without resorting to the option of "fancy dress" TV that so many find unsatisfactory

Guest wrinklyone
Wonder what ian thinks of you max

Tafski, IMHO television presenters, like authors, artists, and film makers, put themselves up for evaluation - and that sometimes includes harsh criticism (which may even be unfounded). It goes with the territory.

Anyone know how many memorials were in the basement of the CMH and where they came from? Well made and thought provoking. As we seem to have a glut of WW1 progs at this time, it's good to see a different perspective especially in relation to how the War was perceived at home.The story of the telegram being kicked about is a good example. It also shows how much material must be sitting in drawers and cupboards around the country. Regards Steve

Whoops posted this on another board but hey it's worth saying twice.

Great programme.

I think Hislop was a bit choked reading the mothers begging letter written in an attempt to regain her sons body.

I also agree with others in the fantastic work done by a 'younger lady' in getting the war memorial finaly in place after 90 years.

Great research also helped to reveal how the deaths even effected peoples family lives/upbringing today

Look forward to next week.

I enjoyed the programme. very entertaining and looking forward to the others.

One thing that upsets me is my great grandfather is not on any memorial anywhere. Im wondering if i can get his name placed anywhere. My grandfather who died in ww2 is also not on any memorial. they have headstones but not mentioned on memorials.

Tony.

A really good programme and a particular boost for those of us who "do" war memorials. I have already had one email this evening from someone living in Stockport saying they have info for me about a relative on the main town memorial.

But two queries, as I'm wondering if my memory cells are still working:

1 - the woman organising the new village memorial - was she the person who posted on the Forum many months back? I seem to recall Tom Morgan was geeing us up to make donations.

2 - the smashed memorial. Was this the one that we had a thread about fairly recently - the one the Sun had a piccie of? Seems a bit of co-incidence for two bank memorials to ened up in skips.

John

IOne thing that upsets me is my great grandfather is not on any memorial anywhere. Im wondering if i can get his name placed anywhere. My grandfather who died in ww2 is also not on any memorial.

Tony

Much depends on the view of whoever currently owns the memorial you would hope to have them included on. Most are probably under the custodianship of the local authority (possibly the parish council if there is one, otherwise the "main" council). Some councils are very willing to add names, other not so keen.

There may also be issues about whether your relatives would have fitted the criteria for inclusion at the time as this may affect a decision now. The other thing you need to consider (and only you can do that) is to think if ther eis any reason in the family past why they may not have wanted to be included (perhaps a religious objection).

All that said, I have a great uncle who I never knew about and when I "discovered" him, I found he wasnt commemorated. My local council (Stockport) was very happy to include his name on the main town memorial (but not the one local to where he lived at the time - for technical reasons).

John

But two queries, as I'm wondering if my memory cells are still working:

1 - the woman organising the new village memorial - was she the person who posted on the Forum many months back? I seem to recall Tom Morgan was geeing us up to make donations.

Yes John - Nicola Pike, the lady featured in the programme, is a member of the forum. Not sure that I was intending to gee people up, but I think I did say that I would be sending a donation and I did, as I thought it was an excellent idea. After seeing the programme, when a villager suggested that they were all victims of the war, survived, killed or executed, I was pleased that I coughed up. I like their attitude to remembrance.

Tom

Caitlin Moran writing in today's 'Times':

From the cosy to the decidedly sombre, Not Forgotten (Channel 4, Sunday) set Ian Hislop the task of exploring Britain’s war-memorials. Despite there being 47,000 of them, listing the names of over three quarters of a million dead, they have faded into the background of the average street, like the phone-boxes, benches and bollards. Attempting to reverse this trend, Hislop traced their history over the course of a sobering hour.

The memorials started, with a grim irony, as lists of the living: shrines put up on street-corners, remembering all the local men who had signed up and sailed away to the First World War. When the war intensified, however, they slowly turned into lists of the dead. In most cases, they also turned into the only point of contact between the living and the slaughtered. As soldiers were buried in the fields where they died, families were left with nothing to bury and nowhere to mourn. These memorials are communal, proxy mass-graves — somewhere to go and remember those who would never make it back to the shelter of the churchyard.

The main point of Not Forgotten was that however terrible the atrocities of war — slaughter, bombings, genocide, disease and so on — none of them is more terrifying than that, after all this, it might be forgotten.

Sebastian and I watched it last night and for once Seb waited for the commercials before asking questions. I hope to get him involved now with our local memorial where he can pick a name and find out about him, with my help.

Ian Hislop IMO showed his softer side and the emotion shown when reading out the letter from the mother wanting her son home was so great, I had a lump in my throat. It would have been nice if they had followed that one up to find his memorial if of course there is one.

Looking forward to next week.

A really good programme and a particular boost for those of us who "do" war memorials.

Couldn't agree more,an excellent programme,can't wait for the next part.

This programme must be making an impact,I've had an email this morning from the City Archivist asking for information on a war memorial,for use on an open day which will highlight men of Wolverhampton who died during the war.

Regards Doug.

I must join the chorus of approval. It was very good.

We're being spoiled by TV programmes at the moment aren't we?