Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hooge

stiletto_33853

Guys;

I have added the scans of various materials that were posted in this ("Hooge") thread into the bibliography.

I have several questions for contributors; they are added to the citations. Please look for them and respond. In my draft they are in bold face; this is lost when I paste it into a Forum post.

I do not know what to do with the crater photos; some I know to be of Hooge crater, some probably not, and some of small portions that are not certain. Suggestions welcome.

When I go thru the "Atrocity at Hooge" thread and pluck out scans, I will add them and then post the draft bibliography again.

Keep those citations flowing.

Bob Lembke

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to the various scans of Hooge source material that several Pals have kindly scanned and posted? I was worried about longjevity (sp?) on the scale of a few years, and the material has disappeared into a cyber-black-hole in about a week. For myself, I luckily printed off and filed some of the material, but not all of it.

Any ideas? Is the loss permament?

Bob Lembke

I just looked through the thread, and no Moderator seemed to have participated. (I was looking for someone to ask about this unfortunate development.) I just scanned what seems to be the last remaining source, the Annals of the KRRC pages, and stored them in a folder.

I have worked with computers for 44 years, and am aware of the inpermanence of data on media that one would only foolishly think is eternal, but this is rediculous. (I have boxes of punched cards, and piles of 5 1/4" (really) floppies.)

Luckily I also printed off two of the other sources that pals kindly scanned and posted, but as we contributed to this thread I was nagged by this question, and I think I touched on this in a post or two.

Any ideas?

Bob Lembke

Guys;

I am informed that the missing material may re-appear. I hope so. But we must be concerned about the permenancy of scans posted here (or anywhere) as a storage system.

As we put up more info I will work on my bibliography of Hooge, and when it seems settled I would be happy to send it to anyone. When I post it to the Forum the (necessarily) primitive word-processor chews the document up.

I am pursuing several leads to get the section of the history of the German Infanterie=Regiment Nr. 126, which was the principal attacking unit, and I would like to translate it and make my effort available.

Are you guys (I know that some of the pals following this thread are "gals"; I consider "guys" as gender-neutral) interested in the mentions of the Hooge attack in the daily war communique that came out of the German Highest Army Command every day? They are very brief, a sentence or two. I can post it in German, in my shaky translation, or both. One mentions the attack, the second the counterattack.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

Share your concern re the permemency of scans posted on the forum. Most of the material posted here is backed up in my database so no problems there.

I, for one, would love to see the communiques but I am afraid to say German is not a language that I am literate in so an English translation would be great.

Andy

I, for one, would love to see the communiques but I am afraid to say German is not a language that I am literate in so an English translation would be great.

Andy

The Army Report of July 31, 1915, as taken from the Wolff Telegraphic Bureau (sort of a AP or Reuters).

Great Headquarters, July 31st.

Western War Theater

Early yesterday we stormed the houses that still remained in English hands on the west side of the area after our attack on Hooge (east of Ypers) on June 3rd, as well as a strong-point south of the road to Ypers. In the afternoon and night counter-attacks of the enemy were thrown back. We captured four machine guns, five mortars, and took some Englanders prisoners. In the trenches of the enemy we found a number of dead, proving their great bloody losses.

Highest Army Command

August 1, 1915 - OHL communique from the Wolff Telegraphic Bureau.

Great Headquarters, August 1st.

Western War Theater

An English attack against our new position by Hooge was completely broken up.

Highest Army Command

I had a problem trying to paste the original German text in, due to some hidden codes that entered my WordPerfect time-line from the Internet source. All of the OHL communiques for the war are available on-line, in German.

As I have said, I really do not know this engagement. Was there a successful German attack on June 3, 1915 that took some territory? It would be useful to know that to make sure my translation is correct. German and its sentence structure is quite complex, and many words have many meanings; the passage could have a different meaning.

I can look up the site that has the Wolff communiques on-line if someone is interested. Last night I saw piles of original copies of these on sale on e-Bay (German) for peanuts.

Bob Lembke

Guys;

Hopefully, not long from now, a CD copy of the history of IR 126 will be available. (Not certain, but likely. Not from me.) They will be very inexpensive. If I get that material before then I will take a run at a translation of same.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

That would be great and a terrific help to those of us with more than a passing interest in this action.

Andy

I have just bought, from a bookseller in Germany, the volume (Band 8) of Der Weltkrieg 1914 bis 1918 that, 75% probability, will cover Hooge. (Also getting three more books from the series of about 14 books. I already have two.) If it covers the period it will almost certainly mention it, but briefly. When I get it I will translate and post it. (Der Weltkrieg is one of the two official history series produced by the Reichsarchiv after the war. The other series does not seem to mention the action; it covers selected battles and campaigns, not the whole war.)

Bob Lembke

• 2 months later...
I have just bought, from a bookseller in Germany, the volume (Band 8) of Der Weltkrieg 1914 bis 1918 that, 75% probability, will cover Hooge. (Also getting three more books from the series of about 14 books. I already have two.) If it covers the period it will almost certainly mention it, but briefly. When I get it I will translate and post it. (Der Weltkrieg is one of the two official history series produced by the Reichsarchiv after the war. The other series does not seem to mention the action; it covers selected battles and campaigns, not the whole war.)

Bob Lembke

Well, I got Band 8, it is 666 pages long, and all but the first 100 pages are on the Eastern Front. And, the narrative of the fighting on the Western Front ends on July 29, 1915, the day before the Hooge attack!

I was looking for a Band 9, and the other volumes that I do not have, but the later volumes in the series get scarcer and scarcer. There does not seem to be a Band 9 in a Pennsylvania library; there probably is one in New Jersey, but when you order it you generally will get one of the other volumes.

I am sure that the description in Der Weltkrieg will not be detailed, but will probably be useful.

I am still working on the IR 126 history, which will probably have a good description of this engagement. It is probable that there is not a single copy available for lending in the US. I do have another avenue, but it has not worked out yet. The book might be for sale at a German book dealer, but I would guess that a copy of the book might be $150.

Bob Lembke

Hi Bob,

Having spent some of last week going over the battlefield I have a lot of pictures that I could post here, but unfortunately the images posted sometime ago on this thread have still not appeared.

I would dearly love to get hold of the German Regimental account of the action to tie in with the Regimental accounts that I have already on this action.

I wonder where all the images we placed on this thread earlier have disappeared to. I will E Mail you with some of the pictures.

Andy

• 11 years later...

Just read thru the 2005 and 2006 posts; boy, what a lot of work. It ended with post # 73. Haven't we resumed this thread? It is 3:26 AM here, I am lying in bed with my wife and cat, and I am not in top form. (Now 4:00 AM)

At at any rate, this post will dredge up the previous work into the circle of consciousness. Is everyone happy with the state of their Hooge knowledge?  I have just gotten the idea of inserting an account of the Hooge attack in the biography of my father that I am writing. At the moment of the attack my father was in the throes of his initial training as a Pionier, hoping to join his father in Russia where the latter was on the staff of the Prussian reserve army corps from the areas of Berlin and Frankfurt am Oder, and was about to volunteer to sneak thru hostile but not belligerent Romania to join the Turkish Fifth Army at Gallipoli to help them with the defense, specifically with their mining warfare efforts against the ANZAC beachhead. But inserting a good description of this early flame battle might serve, within this biography, as a signpost towards his later volunteering for the flame regiment of the Prussian Guard, his unit for most of the war.  

In in my brief military career, I was emphatically taught to volunteer for nothing. My father volunteered for the war, before the draft got to him (when his father went off to war in 1914 he told my father that if he volunteered for the war he would return from Belgium and break his neck, he knew that there was going to be enough war for everyone, being far smarter than those who were planning their Christmas dinner.); he volunteered to join the Turkish Fifth Army and Gallipoli; and then he volunteered to join the flamethrower regiment of the Prussian Guard. 

So so a chapter on Hooge, as a taste of what was to come, might be a useful product. Happy to cooperate with others and then happy to turn over my material to anyone planning a Hooge piece of their own.  

Bob,

Was your father at the Hooge attack on 30 Jul 1915?  I'm a bit confused on the sequence of events in his military history.

Cheers,

Mark