Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Ski

Wiltshire Regiment Men/History

Dimitri

Hi Ski-

Thank you for your reply to my message. I didn't know you could get MICs online!! As for the supplementary information you gave - that was pretty interesting. Yes, I saw the photo. Do you have nay more of the Doiran sector? All the best, thanks again

Dimitri

Ski

Dimitri,

I do have couple of other photo's of the Doiran front but they show pretty much the same view i'm afraid.

Ski

Eddie Bosano-Andrews

Do you have any photos of the 2nd Bn during the Boer War or when they were posted in Ireland ?.

Also I'm trying to track down my G Grand Uncle Albert Ernest Andrews who according to his brothers attestation papers was in the regiment in 1899, but I've had no luck so far.

awakefield

Dimitri

Are there any particular views of the Doiran battlefield that you are after? I've been out there 4 times, including visits with the assistance of the Greek and Macedonian armies - so I've covered most of the area from La Tortue and Petit Couronne to Grand Couronne and Pip Ridge. I have a stack of photos at home from the Doiran area as well as other parts of the British line in the Balkans.

ALAN

Ski

Eddie,

This is the only picture i have of the 2nd Wilts during the Boer War. It was taken at near Norval's Pont. From the NAM collection.

I think your best bet would be the PRO or the Regimental Museum for details of your G G Uncle Unlce's sevice Papers.

Alan,

Do you have any photo's of the right flank of the April 1917 Battle of Doiran, around the Patty Ravine area?

Cheers Ski.

post-14-1076433178.jpg

Eddie Bosano-Andrews

Hi Ski

Thanks for the photo.

I have had some correspondence with the curator of the Wardrobe and done a thorough serach of W097 without any luck, I'm going to try the Queens South Africa Medal Roll next time I'm in London.

Anyway thanks again very much appreciated. :D

awakefield

Ski

I may well have one taken from the top of Petit Couronne looking over the area towards Lake Doiran. I'll dig through my photos over the next week or so - need to check them as a few will serve as illustrations in my forthcoming book on the British Salonika Force.

ALAN

Ski

Cheers Alan,

I'd certainly be interested in that if you do have a Photo of the area.

I hope the book goes well.

Oh, and by the way is there going to be anything of the 7th Wilts in the Book?

Ski

:)

awakefield

Ski

There sure will be some mentions of the 7th Wiltshires in the book. This was the Bn with which one of my great-uncles served. He started my interest in the Campaign as I met him a few times many years ago and always wondered how strange it was for British troops to be in Greece fighting Bulgarians!

Anyway, the book shopuld have some of Owen Rutter's epic poem Tiadatha - written in Salonika and based on his service as a junior officer with the 7th Wilts. Also the unpublished memoir of Capt Christopher Hughes (held by the IWM). Hugues served with the Bn between 1915 - 1917 - good account of 1st Doiran (Hughes was at the Bn OP on Rockley Hill during the action and later visited the survivors on their return from action). His memoir is also good for details of everyday life etc. He went on to serve on the staff of the 228th and 77th Bde. With the latter, as Bde Major he witnessed the 2nd Battle of Doiran.

By the way, the IWM's Dept of Printed Books holds a bound volume of the 4 issues of the 7th Wiltshires trench magazine 'Moonraker.' I believe this was edited by Rutter - some very humorous stuff in this.

ALAN

gord97138

Ski:

I see your interest in the Wiltshire Reg.

My grandfather joined the Wiltshires in Jan.1910--until March 1914,

but, i don't have too much info on him!

Maybe you might be able to help,or,lead me in a direction to get more information.

I have some papers on him(which I'll attach)!

Lionel gordon Miles #8501.

thanks

gordon

USA

post-14-1079129357.jpg

museumtom

I just picked up a ww1 uniform, Sam browne and Cap to an officer in the Wiltshire regiment in a local carboot sale. They are in top condition. The Cap has a red band around it and a bullion badge of the Kings crown with a lion ontop. The tunic is sporting WW1 trio medal bars with a MID oak leaf and Military Cross bar. The only name I can find is on the Sam brown .E.Cooper. The epoulettes have three pips and a crown. The front of the Collar has two red (Chevrons) What is the rank of this officer? Is there any data on an E Cooper of this regt. Obviously if he is wearing ww1 medal bars then he survived.

Any information would be most appreciated. The whole lot was 50 euro or about £37.

Regards.

Tom in Tipperary

clubby

Hi,

Is it possible to do a check for please? I am looking for any mention of 205769 Pte David Prowse Smith, 1/Wilts. Previously 2/8 M'sex, 3106, 1/8th M'sex 205249, 20th M'sex. I have his CWGC (kia 1-9-18), but his file doesn't appear to have survived.

I've also checked the Wilts regt site War Diaries.

Many thanks

lumpylawson
Hello "Pals",

I have a fair bit of info on the History and Men of the Wiltshire Regiment and would be more than happy to do look-ups through my records/Regimental Histories/lists/etc,etc for any Forum-Members.

It is certainly nowhere near a full history of the Regiment, but as i say it's always worth a look!

The lists include 2nd/4th Wilts men serving in India 1915, Wiltshire Yeomanry lists for the Great war, Wiltshire Regt POW's, casualties, 2nd Wilts Gallantry awards, etc, etc as well as a few of the Regimental Histories.

Also please note that the RGBW museum has an excellent site(www.thewardrobe.org.uk)with online War Diaries for all the Wilts and Berks battalions for 1914-18. They also have a searchable Militia list. Really is worth a visit (As is the Museum itself).

Hope I can help,

Cheers

Ski. :)

Hi Ski,

I hope this finds you after so long. I'm new to the forum.

One of my grandfathers was in the 2/4th Wilts in India, his pay book said c Coy, I believe. I have several photographs from his time there. Also a letter dated 1919 from one of his mates, who sent him some of the photos I have.

He was Frank Moore, Pte, 3750.

I would appreciate any help. The NA records show no battalion Diary.

Alan Lawson

pallen883
Hello "Pals",

I have a fair bit of info on the History and Men of the Wiltshire Regiment and would be more than happy to do look-ups through my records/Regimental Histories/lists/etc,etc for any Forum-Members.

It is certainly nowhere near a full history of the Regiment, but as i say it's always worth a look!

The lists include 2nd/4th Wilts men serving in India 1915, Wiltshire Yeomanry lists for the Great war, Wiltshire Regt POW's, casualties, 2nd Wilts Gallantry awards, etc, etc as well as a few of the Regimental Histories.

Also please note that the RGBW museum has an excellent site(www.thewardrobe.org.uk)with online War Diaries for all the Wilts and Berks battalions for 1914-18. They also have a searchable Militia list. Really is worth a visit (As is the Museum itself).

Hope I can help,

Cheers

pallen883
Hello "Pals",

Hope I can help,

Cheers

Hi Ski

I am looking for information on 7763 cifford Flaxman enlisted Wilshire Regiment 1907ish transfered to labour corps at some stage as 279169 L/s. Clifford flaxman. was injured and returned home ,on recovery was sent to Eygpt 1917/1918 ish. sorry if information is a bit vague but i also have some photos of him in uniform.

many Thanks Paul

MrG

Hi Ski,

Hope you are still around on the forum as I am after any information on Pte 21340 Charles William Goddard of the Wilts Regiment. I think he is my great uncle and am trying to marry the medal card to any other info that might be available. A photo of him in uniform shows a wound badge and good conduct stripe. His MC show that at some point he was transferred to the Labour Corps. Any help would be much appreciated

Rgds

Merve

Hullwebs

I'd love to discover anything to do with my grandfather, Albert Henry Brigham, who served with the Wiltshires; was listed as missing and then turned up again. He died in Hull during 1956. His place of birth was Haisthorpe and, as far I I know, enlisted in Hull.

:poppy: Best wishes....

post-47596-1247202291.jpg

von Smallhausen

Hello "Pals",

To prevent clogging the forum, i'll reply via PM

Hope I can help,

Cheers

Ski. smile.gif

Hello Ski,

Thank you for this great opportunity. I would be grateful if you could send me some information of the 6/ Wiltshire Rgt during 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918.

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

soldier75

Hi,

Thought you might like to add this man to your archive, he is commemorated on the War Memorial In Widnes, Cheshire, formerly Lancashire.

Lcpl Harold Fred Giddings MM

No.7597

2nd Bn, The Wiltshire Regiment

58th Bde, 19th [Western] Division.

Born : Urchfont, Wiltshire.

Enlisted : Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Resided : 30 Farnworth Street, Farnworth, Widnes.

Killed in action in France on 5th November, 1918, aged 28.

Buried at Crossroads Cemetery, Fontaine Au Bois, Plot II, Row B, Grave 13

and commemorated at Farnworth (St Luke`s) and at the parish church

in Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Born in Wiltshire, Harold Giddings moved to Widnes to work in the booming

munitions industry in the town. On the 12th June, 1916, he married

Elizabeth Boardman of 30 Farnworth Street in St Luke`s church. At that time

his occupation was still given as a munitions worker.#

Two of his wife`s brothers were killed in the war, Peter and Charles Boardman,

[see Panel No.3] Killed just six days before the Armistice, his battalion were

taking part in the fighting in the area of the Forest of Morval. He was awarded

the Military Medal, but the reason for the award is not known, in the latter

stages of the war citations were seldom published in the London Gazette, it

would seem that Lcpl Gidding`s Military Medal award fell into this category.##

Originally buried in the Montignies area, his remains were exhumed prior to

1926 and in common with a lot of men buried in isolated cemeteries or plots

containing less than forty men, he was reinterred in Crossroads Cemetery at

Fountaine Au Bois.###

#WWN 1918. ## Mrs Giddings [Daughter in Law] 1996. ### CWGC

Documentation 1926.

Regards H

shootdown1

SKI,

I am trying to find out the 1st Battalion Wiltshire Regt casualty numbers(Killed and missing) for the period 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th April 1918.

Gareth Davies

War diaries for those days state:

10th

Maj F G Wynne DSO, Lieut F Naylor, killed.

Lieut Col S S Ogilvie DSO, 2nd Lieut Parker MC DCM, Capt F Smith, missing.

OR 13 killed, 90 wounded, 75 missing.

11th

No casualties mentioned

12th

Lieut R N Evens, USA RAMC missing.

ORs 4 killed, 16 wounded, 282 missing.

13th

Capt R Cecil, Lieut H B Burkett, killed.

Capt G K Wait MC, wounded.

ORs 8 wounded.

WD61JG

Dear Ski

Please could you see if you have anything on PTE Albert Beadle (21620), date range from 1917 to Oct 1918 (when he joined LC).

Thanks in advance.

Manipled Mutineer

Dear Ski, I have just been researching a a man of the 3rd Middlesex who, if I don't misread his Casualty Form, was attached to the 7th Wiltshires for the period 7 April - 18 May 1917, thus straddling their engagement in the Battle of Doiran. Have you come across any other Middlesex men on attachment to the 7th Wiltshires and if so have you any pointers as to what they may have been doing with the battalion? My man is G/12023 Pte H J Harris.

Thanks in advance, Anthony