Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Ski

Wiltshire Regiment Men/History

Ski

Hello "Pals",

I have a fair bit of info on the History and Men of the Wiltshire Regiment and would be more than happy to do look-ups through my records/Regimental Histories/lists/etc,etc for any Forum-Members.

It is certainly nowhere near a full history of the Regiment, but as i say it's always worth a look!

The lists include 2nd/4th Wilts men serving in India 1915, Wiltshire Yeomanry lists for the Great war, Wiltshire Regt POW's, casualties, 2nd Wilts Gallantry awards, etc, etc as well as a few of the Regimental Histories.

Also please note that the RGBW museum has an excellent site(www.thewardrobe.org.uk)with online War Diaries for all the Wilts and Berks battalions for 1914-18. They also have a searchable Militia list. Really is worth a visit (As is the Museum itself).

To prevent clogging the forum, i'll reply via PM

Hope I can help,

Cheers

Ski. :)

christine liava'a

Thanks for that site" The Wardrobe". I found 3 of my men mentioned in the war diaries.Do you know of any other online diaries?

Ski

Not that i'm aware of Christine, i'm sure there must be though. I only knew about "The Wardrobe" because of personal interest with the Regiment.

Ski :)

David_Bluestein

Ski,

Thanks for the great offer! Would you mind checking to see if this Wiltshire man shows up in any of your records:

"C" Coy. 6th Battalion Wiltshire Regt. Killed in action July 2, 1916.

Also, what was the 6th Bn. involved in on July 2. Were they 'over the top' on July 1?

Thanks in advance

David

Canada

Ski

David,

I haven't got your man mentioned anywhere else but SDGW and CWGC, but here are the Battalion War Diary entries for the 1st and 2nd of July 1916:

1st July 1916.

"At 7.30a.m Brigade moved up to position into TARA USNA Trenches - Orders were received to attack LA BOISSELLE from the South during that night which however did not take place."

2nd July 1916.

"At 1.30p.m orders were received to take up position in front line at 4p.m. At 4p.m Battalion advanced in open order and attacked German front line system of trenches just South of LA BOISSELLE. Two lines of trenches were taken and consolidated. Cheshires were on our right flank and Welch Fusiliers on our left. Our losses were Lt. Hunter, Lt's Allen, King and Biggs killed - Capt Tanner, Lt's Springette, Reid, Tynan and Capt Henry (R.A.M.C) wounded. Other ranks were 35 killed, 237 wounded and 35 missing.

The night was spent in consolidating - no counter attacks was made by the enemy"

As i put on the initial post you can also see all the Wiltshire Regiment War Diaries at www.thewardrobe.org.uk

And if i remember rightly there is a good little personal account of the 6th Wilts attack on La Boiselle and the Lochnagar Crater in Lyn Macdonald's "Somme".

Cheers

David_Bluestein

Ski,

Well done! Much appreciated.

Best regards & thanks,

David

koyli

hi Ski,

Thanks for the information on the website.

I'm particulary interested in the 1bn Wilts on 12 March 1915 when they took part in an attack on Spanbroekmolen on the Messines front. Would you know of any documents relating to this, besides the war diary. I don't think the 1st Bn published a History after the war, am i correct.

KOYLI.

Will O'Brien

Ski

Do you have anything on a Private Albert Brandom 14304, 7th Wilts

Ski

Will,

I'm afraid i haven't got anything on this man except the SDGW and CWGC details which i'm sure you've already got.

However i have attached a photo of the the Doiran front where Albert would have almost certainly fought with the 7th Wiltshire's on the 24th April 1917, (The Battalion's most famous and costly action in Salonika).

The photo was kindly taken by Iain Mchenry from colonial Hill looking towards the Grand Couronne.

post-14-1069530523.jpg

Jonathan Saunders

Ski,

When you say you have info on the men do you mean something like a named list - I know there are a couple of guys who have put together a database containing info on about 30,000 men that enlisted in the Royal Berks, do you have something similar?

I have strong family links in Wiltshire but I am only aware of WW1 service in RN or artillery, however I am sure I must have relations that served in the Wilts Rgmt. If I gave you surnames could you provide info on who you have listed?

If you cant help or its too big a task, no worries, but I thought it was worth asking.

Ski

Signals,

If only!! No i'm afraid i don't have anything on such a grand scale. What i do have is mainly Regimental and Battalion histories, with a few misc lists.

If you want to send the names, please do and i will have a look for you.

As i always say it's always worth a try.

Regards

Simon R

Ski,

My signaller Eric Cowling left an account of the death of Lt. Col. W.S. Brown of the 1st Wilts. on 5th July 1916 during the attack on Hindenburg Trench in his diary - do you want me to post it here? Eric was a signaller for D battery 245th brigade RFA who were down near Black Horse bridge behind Authuille Wood - he was on liason with the infantry attacking the Liepzig Redoubt from 1st July onward (seeing the 17th HLI go over) and was apparently blown down into a dugout by the same shell that killed your Lt. Col.

I'm away at the moment, so this might have to wait until I get back to my files.

Simon R.

Jonathan Saunders

Thanks Ski,

Surnames are Brazier, Bowering, Coombes, Dring, Saunders and finally Carter. The Carters were money'd working class and may have been elevated to officer status.

I am not expecting any leads to crop up but as you said, worth a try, and I appreciate you looking.

Sigs

Will O'Brien
Will,

I'm afraid i haven't got anything on this man except the SDGW and CWGC details which i'm sure you've already got.

However i have attached a photo of the the Doiran front where Albert would have almost certainly fought with the 7th Wiltshire's on the 24th April 1917, (The Battalion's most famous and costly action in Salonika).

The photo was kindly taken by Iain Mchenry from colonial Hill looking towards the Grand Couronne.

Ski

Many thanks for posting the photo. A lot of local lads fought here either with the Oxford & Bucks LI or the Wiltshires’ who seem to have had a large number of OBLI men transferred to it.

Ski

Simon,

Please post the diary account, it'll be interesting to read about the event from a different perspective. Thanks.

Sigs,

Listed below are all the mentions of your Surnames I've been able to find:-

8904 Pte Coombes. P. POW from Swindon. taken prisoner prior to Jan 1918

Sgt Coombes. A. 1st Wilts War Diary 23rd and 24th May 1916

25602 Pte Coombes. A. POW from Swindon. taken prisoner post Jan 1918

LCpl Saunders. W. 1st Wilts War Diary 27th Jan 1915

Pte Saunders. R. 1st Wilts War Diary 31st Dec 1916

Capt C G M Carter 2nd Wilts War Diary 30th Aug 1914

2Lt A S Carter 24th Nov 1916

Cpl/SgtCarter. H. 1st Wilts War Diary 27th Jan 1916, 24th Aug 1916, 3rd Sep 1916

Pte Carter. N. 1st Wilts War Diary 28th Dec 1916

24523 Pte Carter. E. POW from Swindon. taken post Jan 1918

35649 Pte Carter. H. POW from Swindon. taken post Jan 1918

10933 Pte Carter. H. DCM 3/7/15

Pte Carter F.J. 4th Troop D Sqn Royal Wilts Yeo

2 Band Master Carter. F. A Coy 2/4th Wilts

31 Sgt Carter E.D. B Coy 2/4th Wilts

2284 LCpl Carter R.L. E Coy 2/4th Wilts

2117 Pte Carter W.J. F Coy 2/4th Wilts

2859 Cpl Carter H.P. G Coy 2/4th Wilts

I Hope that gives you a start.

Jonathan Saunders

Ski,

Thanks very much and certainly something to get my teeth into. Im very grateful.

Sigs

mac

Ski

I am a Volunteer at the Wardrobe so I have read your lists with interest. I am also part of the Royal Berks Project team. My reason for contacting you is to draw your attention to a small project that is being carried out at the Regimental Museum by another Volunteer Paula PERRY who is working towards producing a book on the 5th Battalon Wilts Regt. She is contactable via the Museum Website.

Cheers

MAC

Guest cameron

:D

Hi Ski

Could you look through your records and see if you can find any mention of Arthur William Townsend, who went to France with the 7th Battalion Wiltshire Reg in 1915, received a MM in 1917 for bravery, and served with them throughout the War.

Anything would be much appreciated. Look forward to hearing fromyou soon.

Regards

Stuart Marshall

Ski

Stuart,

I'm afraid all i've been able to come up with is the Search results for "Townsend" in the online War diaries on the Regimental Museum Site. This mention's Townsend several times and includes the action he won his MM in and the citation.

Oh and this might be of interest to you, it is a trench map of the area ("Patty Ravine") where Sgt Townsend won his MM.

Cheers

Ski

post-14-1075417681.jpg

Guest Invicta

Hi Ski

Would you have anything on 2Lt Lionel Alfred Harry Blackmore Morris, 1st Battalion, killed on the Leipzig Salient, 07 July 1916? I have his service papers and the war diary for the period for your guide.

He was at my school, Brockley County in Lewisham, london

Cheers

Invicta

Guest Desmond6

Thanks for the offer. Could I ask if you can track down :-

Ervine, Lce Cpl. Wm., Wilts Regt. (with a connection to the village of Ahoghill (!) Co. Antrim

His name appears on a 'roll of honour' in my possession but I can't find him on CWGC. Sorry I have no other information. Is there even anyone remotely like him which might be worth following up.

Could his name be Irvine?

Ski

Desmond,

The only Ervine i could find that could be your man is:-

Ervine, Samuel, b. Ahoghill, C Antrim, e. Ballymona, Ireland , Lived Aghoghill, C Antrim. 43831, Pte. KIA F&F 23/10/18. Formerly M/372233 R.A.S.C.

CWGC details:-

ERVINE

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Wiltshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn

Date of Death: 23/10/1918

Service No: 43831

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 7/26.

Cemetery: OVILLERS NEW COMMUNAL CEMETERY, SOLESMES.

The only other thing i can think of is that LCpl Wm, Ervine actually survived the war. As i have often found that some "Roll's of Honour" record all the names of the men who served in the war from a specific village, buisness etc and not just those who were killed.

Sorry i can't be of more help,

Ski

Dimitri

Hi Ski-

Any information on the following man would be well received: 12226 Pte A. E. Brown, DOW, 27/04/1917 with the 7th Btn, obviously due to wounds received during the first battle for Doiran. I have CWGC and SDGW as well as the entry of the diary available online, which confirms him DOW. Any further information (do not have his MIC), would be gratefully appreciated, best regards

Dimitri

Desmond7

Ski - many thanks for your help. I reckon you've solved my problem - the document I was working from in this instance was compiled immediately after the war and seems to have a few misprints/mistakes. It wasn't one of these 'pay to have your relatives' names included' volumes - just a listing made by a local newspaper editor of those who 'made the supreme sacrifice'.

He seems to have done a fair old job given the constraints of the time but it does give me the odd nightmare in research terms.

I wonder what a guy from Ahoghill of all places was doing with the Wiltshire Regt!

I'm up to April 1915 in the old newspaper records so I've got a fair way to go until 1918. If there's anything which could help you with the Wiltshires when/and if I come across an obit for Ervine I'll give you a shout.

I'm sure you're snowed under with requests so I'll just say thanks again.

Ski

Dimitri

Sorry i've not got anything on Brown, however do you know you can get his MIC online, here's the adrress:-

http://www.documentsonline.pro.gov.uk/deta...resultcount=177

Also looking at his Regimental Number i would certainly say that he was one of the original members of the Battlion, when it was formed at Codford Camp, near Salisbury and so would have landed in France with them in September 1915 (I'm sure the MIC will confirm this).

Also have you seen the Photo and Trench map above where Brown would have received his wounds?

Desmond

just another point, looking at Ervine's number it looks as if he wasn't with the Battalion long before he was killed, as 43831 is a very late number for the Regiment. I see originally he was serving with the Army Service Corps and so must have either transfered to the Wilshire Regiment of his own free will or was transfered to the Regiment to make up it's terrible losses from earlier that year.

Invicta

Sorry, nothing on 2Lt Morris. I think you've pretty much got all that would be available on him anyway. Have you tried diong a newspaper obituary search?

Good luck to all of you with your research,

Ski