Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Female Hospital, Brompton, Gillingham

Guest johnstonw

I am trying to find out some more information about my late Grandmother. On her birth certificate it says she was born in 1905 in the hospital l have used in topic title. Does anyone know where it was, is it still there, in fact any information. I am also trying to find out if anyone knows of her Fathers regiment and barracks. I have her Father as being in the 4th Rifle Brigade based in 18a Block, Lower Chatham Barracks at Chatham.

If anyone has any information, l would really appreciate it as a friend has just moved to Chatham and l would like to see these places or at least know where they were etc. Best regards Johnston

Well I can tell you your Grandmother was born in the same hospital as the famous McCudden brothers of Great War fame.

Brompton Barracks was the depot/home barracks of the Royal Engineers and is still there - I think for teh REME. As a garrison town other regiments/battalions also passed through the barracks on a regular basis. As yet I am not sure of the location of the Female Hospital or whether it still exists - I had assumed the hospital was mainly a maternity hospital for the wives of soldiers. You could try the RE Museum but as far as I am aware they are very slow in replying.

I am trying to find out some more information about my late Grandmother. On her birth certificate it says she was born in 1905 in the hospital l have used in topic title. Does anyone know where it was, is it still there, in fact any information. I am also trying to find out if anyone knows of her Fathers regiment and barracks. I have her Father as being in the 4th Rifle Brigade based in 18a Block, Lower Chatham Barracks at Chatham.

If anyone has any information, l would really appreciate it as a friend has just moved to Chatham and l would like to see these places or at least know where they were etc. Best regards Johnston

There are still two barracks at Gillingham/Chatham. One is the Royal Engineers which is on the road between Chatham going into Gillingham and I believe The Gurkhas are also at a barracks near Chatham. There is a museum at the Royal Engineers barracks so maybe they would be able to help you.

There were several barracks in Chatham. Brompton, The (Royal) School of Military Engineering, Kitchener Barracks at the bottom of Brompton High Street and St Marys Barracks. Lower Barracks which you referred to, had its entrance in what is now Khartoum Rd.

Terry Reeves

• 6 months later...
Guest pjclark1

My Grandfather was in the Royal marine band based in Chatham at that time

My Uncle was born in the Military Female Hospital Brompton in 1905

My Father was born in the Military Families Hospital Brompton in 1910

So the name of the hospital changed,and it was used by all sorts of military families

a link that mentions it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/18/a4463318.shtml

My Grandfather was in the Royal marine band based in Chatham at that time

My Uncle was born in the Military Female Hospital Brompton in 1905

My Father was born in the Military Families Hospital Brompton in 1910

So the name of the hospital changed,and it was used by all sorts of military families

a link that mentions it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/18/a4463318.shtml

Shortly after 1910 the RN had its own maternity hospital in Gillingham, later this was called Canada House, and sadly shut about 5 years ago although they havent pulled down the building yet.

Canada House is still standing and still open as usual :)

What do you mean by "open"? Have the Council found a use for it?

It is definitely closed as a maternity hospital, looks out of commission for any other use and I get free parking there when GILLS play at home. :P