Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Old Front Line

Tim Birch

I am reading this excellent little book by John Masefield. In it he describes the front line on the Somme as it was on 1st July 1916, during a visit to it in 1917 after the German withdrawal.

It makes interesting, but grim reading as he describes the devastation and thousands of scattered graves which were evident where soldiers fell. He takes the reader on a tour from Gommecourt to Maricourt. From his description it seems impossible that the land could ever have recovered to what we now see.

Tim

• 6 months later...

Tim, Thanks for posting about this book, it sounds interesting, were there also pictures?

Have any other Pals read this or similar books about visiting the battlefields either immediately after the German withdrawal or at least before 1921. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just been reading this book, and can recommend it. Although written in 1917, it conveys a sense of the regeneration of the battlefield which could place it many years later. The topography of the region is beautifully described, with great use of colour and texture to paint a graceful and rather lyrical picture of what must still have been ugly and raw in places, but the sense of horror is never lost.

I don’t know the area well enough to vouch for its accuracy, but it gives the feeling of soundness, and I would be interested to know if anyone has used it recently as a guide. It seems poignant that, unknown to the author, the Somme had not seen the last of war, and the horrors that had passed for him would soon return.

At present I’ve got two copies of the book – one is a 1917 edition from the library; but the other is a recent Pen and Sword reprint in paperback, with good photos, and includes an account of the Battle of the Somme by Col. Howard Green, which almost doubles the length of the original. Good value for £4.99.

Sue

It seems poignant that, unknown to the author, the Somme had not seen the last of war, and the horrors that had passed for him would soon return.

Sue: the Somme did! 1940 enormous Panzerbattle near Cambrai stretching towards the Somme River, battles to cross the Somme- Peronne and further to Aisne with Reims, battle of the Weygand line

I think this is the same John Masefield that eventually became Poet Laureate so he can certainly write well.

I am fascinated by these stories of visits back to the battlefields both very soon after the event and also in the 20's and 30's. I picked up copies of "Gallipoli Revisited" (1930's) and "A Pilgrimage to Gallipoli" (1920's) in the same charity shop and ran out of the door with them ! Visits at that time must have been amazing.

Ian for early returns to the battlefield Thirteen Years After, Will R Bird who wrote the wonderful Ghosts Have Warm Hands is terrific, both available CEF Books as is Best O luck- see below.

This book is a classic. Masefield was a renowned poet and writer, and was appointed Poet Laureate under George V. Therefore, as you might expect, the prose is beautifully crafted.

As a pen picture of the landscape of the Somme area, it is remarkable for its clarity. That said, I read it for the first time after I had visited the battlefield, so perhaps I wouldn't have found it so illuminatory had I been a stranger the the topography.

As has been pointed out, perhaps the most interesting aspect of this short work is that it captures the scene whilst still desolate; the physical and human wounds naked before the visitor. Battle would yet rage once more about the cadaverous fields Masefield describes with such precision.

Highly recommended. A new edition is available from Pen & Sword, including a preface by Martin Middlebrook, and a short essay on the battle by Col Howard Green MC.

S

What do we think of Col Green's 1971 (?) prologue?

John Masefield also wrote a book on Gallipoli in 1916 I have just read it

and it was a very good read.

Written in his informative and poetic style, especially his descriptions of the landscape

Tony

Haven't read this book, but I recall an account of a return to the Somme - I think in the summer of 1919 - where the visitor was stunned by the sight of thousands of butterflies floating above the devastated landscape where he had thought nothing would ever thrive again.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just finished re-reading Robert Graves's "Goodby to all That" and it reminded me that Graves knew John Masefield well, and in fact rented a cottage from him after the war.

Tim

• 1 month later...

I am reading the book, and think the intro by Martin Middlebrook is very interesting as a cursory review of the events of the Somme and why they were important.

I have also just come across an interesting paragraph and I wonder how true it is. On pg 120 in the Pen and Sword edition he describes a woman who appeared above the German trenches and sauntered from one end to the other. The men stopped firing as she did her thing, then Masefield describes as the British troops move through Schwaben Redoubt they found her body in the rubble. He also says that is where she is buried.

Has anyone else heard of this, or know where the grave might be today?

Andy

Just read this book myself, it was an interesting take on the events of the Somme around July 1st and the devastation of the withdrawl to the Hindenburg Line.

I recall the author wondered at the time, if the mysterious woman may have been in fact, a German soldier, dressed in drag to try and trick the British troops. Then he reports the later finding of her body.