Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

would it be possible to find out?

liverpool annie

Would it be possible to find out more about this sailor? - where is there a copy of the court martial ? or would that be impossible to find? how can we go about finding the cause of the court martial?

His service record just says "CM 14.1.04 - to be imprisoned with HL for 12 months & dismissed HM Service." The CM was held on board the Conqueror at Devonport although Able Seaman John Henry Tyson was serving at the time on the Magnificent where the offence took place. Is there or was there a prison in Plymouth, which would have been nearest or do you know if the Navy used specific prisons.

Thanking you in advance

Annie

Annie,

There are other naval prisons, its possible that as he was also dismissed he would be sent to a civilian prison Bodmin had both and also a set of gallows. The CM records will be available at Kew. Does it say anything about his discharge and where to, in the right hand coloum it sometimes says.

Bodmin Goal Now in part a tourist attraction. When it was built in 1778 a model of its kind using the then latest ideas of prison reform. Up to that time prisoners were housed in barbaric conditions in the Cornwall County Gaol within the walls of Launceston Castle. The Gaol acted as a Civilian Prison until 1916, taking its last military prisoner in 1922. soon after the prison was sold and partly demolished, but much of its imposing granite walls remain.

Regards Charles

Annie,

There are other naval prisons, its possible that as he was also dismissed he would be sent to a civilian prison Bodmin had both and also a set of gallows. The CM records will be available at Kew. Does it say anything about his discharge and where to, in the right hand coloum it sometimes says.

Bodmin Goal Now in part a tourist attraction. When it was built in 1778 a model of its kind using the then latest ideas of prison reform. Up to that time prisoners were housed in barbaric conditions in the Cornwall County Gaol within the walls of Launceston Castle. The Gaol acted as a Civilian Prison until 1916, taking its last military prisoner in 1922. soon after the prison was sold and partly demolished, but much of its imposing granite walls remain.

Regards Charles

Thanks again Charles - I'm not sure if the CM records have been applied for - but I just sent my friend a message with your information!

Something that crossed my mind was - that there is some kind of record that covers death sentences passed by military courts of the British Army WW1 and I know that most of those noted were not executed but served some other form of sentence - but I can't remember what it's called - can you?

Again - thanks for you time !

Annie

Annie,

Shot at Dawn, have a search on the forum you will find lots about it. Thats the army though not so much the RN. In 1904 a year and out may not be for something that terrible disobedience or dishonesty maybe.

Regards Charles

Annie,

Shot at Dawn, have a search on the forum you will find lots about it. Thats the army though not so much the RN. In 1904 a year and out may not be for something that terrible disobedience or dishonesty maybe.

Regards Charles

Sorry Charles!

I missed your reply - thank you for that!

We'll just keep on looking for those sailors!

Annie