Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Defence

Hazel Basford

I am interested to find out more about home defence during WW1, particularly in the south-east.

I have references to the 2nd Army, headquartered at Tunbridge Wells from the beginning of the war, but disbanded on 12th March 1916 (Chris's website), presumably replaced by the Southern Army.

I have also seen reference to the Kent Independent Force and the 222nd Mixed Brigade later in the war. The Cyclists also crop up frequently! I have not found any website or publication which fully explains the deposition of these forces.

A full explanation would be wonderful! Any other references could be useful.

I asked a question on this Forum (Army Cyclist Units), in the Units and Formations section, if you look in there you might find a little to help you.

There is very little out there on Cyclist units, as my partner is finding out! I told her to pick something easier to study! :lol:

Lee

• 2 months later...
Guest woodyudet

59th Division was stationed for home defence in Hertfordshire [Watford, St. Albans etc] 1915-april 1916. It was placed there in case the Germans landed in East Anglia. Trains were kept ready to transport the division to oppose any German landing.

for info about this division prior to it being sent to Ireland check out M.Caulfield "The Easter Rebellion".

The 5th Canadian Division spent its war in the Home defence of the United Kingdom. I presume it was in the south east near the main Canadian base at Shorncliffe. The Division was formed early in 1917 and was disbanded after , I believe, February, 1918. The War Office tried unsuccessfully to convince the Canadian government to send it to France, but the latter did not think the Dominion could maintain five active divisions. However, starting in the summer of 1917, the artillery went over to France, followed by the engineers, and the machine guns, and the mortars. Not much more than the infantry was left at the end.

Guest woodyudet

I believe canadians were garrisoned in my former school - St.Lawrence College, Ramsgate Kent during the latter half of the war [the school remained in situ 1914-1915 despite Zeppelin raids in 1915]. Presumably they were from 5th division then ...

Hazel,

The 68th (Welsh) Territorial Division was formed for Home defence according to the intro to the History of the 53rd (Welsh) Division. There were also a number of artillery units scattered about the country with odd sounding names.

I assume you are not pursuing air defence - there are several good books on this topic I could suggest if you are interested in this aspect.