Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Brigade' (Church Lads Brigade)

rap1943

G'Day Pals

I am wondering if anyone knows of the existance of a set or part thereof for the years 1914-19 of the magazine. I realise that the CLB was not exactly a fighting unit but it had a very strong connection to one - the 16th KRRC. They could be full of good info on ex-members who served with the 16th.

Just hoping that someone out there is decended from a hoarder and that they are still in the attic.

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I'm sure someone will tell me.

Cheers

Bob

• 1 month later...

Bob,

I believe the British Library in London has a set. Bit of a long shot. Also see abebooks.com for 'With the C.L.B. Battalion in France.' $170.78

Book Description: Skeffington & Son Ltd, London, United Kingdom, 1917. Binding is Hard Cover. Book Condition: Very Good. in No Dust Jacket. First Edition. in No Dust Jacket A record of the Church Lads Brigade, part of the King's Royal Rifles formed during the First World War, which fought on the Western Front. Includes 1 folding b/w photograph. xvi + 106pp. Red cloth boards with light fade to spine. A photograph of this book is available on request. First Edition. Binding is Hard Cover. 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall. Bookseller Inventory # 38082

Thanks Audax for that info. Must say the book is a little out of my budget range but thanks all the same.

Cheers

Bob

Bob, why dont you try the CLB Headquarters who will almost certainly have an archives dept. I dont know the address but a google search should do it

Patrick

Hi Patrick, thanks for the reminder. I did contact them about the time I started this thread, got an acknowledgement to say they do have them in their achives and that they would contact me, but they haven't. I think I'd better become a squeaky wheel.

This thread was an attempt to find other sources.

Cheers

Bob

The following Memorials commemorate the Church Lads Brigade in the Great War 1914 -18. Only the Levenshulme memorial seems to relate directly to the 16th KRRC.

• ROXETH & HARROW LONDON DIOCESAN CHURCH LADS BRIGADE ROLL OF HONOUR WWI, SOUTH HARROW

• ST MARTIN'S BANNER CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE NATIONAL MEMORIAL, WESTMINSTER

• CHRIST CHURCH PARISH AND 2552 COMPANY CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE, HARPURHEY

• WOMBWELL CHURCH LADS BRIGADE 1ST SHEFFIELD CADET BATTN - WWI, WOMBWELL

• WEALDSTONE COMPANY, CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE WW1, WEALDSTONE

• SLEAFORD COMPANY CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE TABLET, SLEAFORD

• 17TH FULHAM AND CHELSEA CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE, WALHAM GREEN

• ST JOHN'S COMPANY CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE WW1, DARLINGTON

• WEMBLEY COMPANY OF CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE, WEMBLEY

• CHURCH LADS BRIGADE PRAYER DESK WWI, RINGWOOD

• ST MICHAELS CHURCH LADS BRIGADE WWI, MYTHOLMROYD

• WEALDSTONE COMPANY OF CHURCH LADS BRIGADE WWI, WEALDSTONE

• ST CLEMENT'S CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE - WWI, URMSTON

• CIRENCESTER CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE BOARD WW1, CIRENCESTER

• 16TH CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE, LEVENSHULME

• CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE MACE WWI, CHESTER

• ST PETER'S CHURCH LADS' BRIGADE, SOUTH CROYDON

• ST PAUL'S CHURCH LADS BRIGADE, SALE

• CHURCH LAD'S BRIGADE COMPANY 2214, LEVENSHULME

• BEVERLEY CHURCH LAD'S BRIGADE, BEVERLEY

Thanks for that Audax, do you happen to know the location of the Levenshulme memorial?

Cheers

Bob

Thanks for that Audax, do you happen to know the location of the Levenshulme memorial?

Cheers

Bob

Bob,

There appear to have been two memorials in Levenshulme. One at St Peter's Church (Company No 2214) and the other memorial in the form of the Altar Rails at St Andrew' Church in Levenshulme. St Andrew's is now a redundant church.

• 2 years later...

I'm just adding an 'Addition to gravestone' memorial for Cpl. H E Green of Littleborough. There is a memorial stone to him on an otherwise unmarked grave at St James' Calderbrook (where burials for the Parish of Holy Trinity Littleborough took place). His CLB affiliation is prominent.

St James, Calderbrook - HE Green.jpeg

I’ve been looking for the same  about 8 or 9 years with no luck yet . I left an alert for a well known auction site but only get alerts for magazines like the charge of the light brigade and fire brigade . 

We have moved on a few years from the OP.

The Church Lads' Brigade have become the Church Lads' & Church Girls' Brigade

And have a Historical Group now https://www.clcgb.org.uk/about-us/history 

They have produced some Factsheets including: Brigade Factsheet 13 - The 16th Battalion KRRC https://www.clcgb.org.uk/documents/historical-group/194-brigade-factsheet-13-the-16th-battalion-krrc

Who knows what else they have unearthed???

= If interested I guess you have to ask them.

I got a bit of help about one man who ended up in the 16 KRRC, a possible CLB member pre-war = Thanks CL&CGB HG :-)

:-) M