Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

• 1 month later...
Guest mwhitehead

Hi Andy,

I am looking for details of my great grandfather RICHARD CADE.

He was in the 9th Bn KOYLI and was killed on 1st July 1916 near Fricourt / Albert.

Any mention of him or actions around that day would be of great help.

I am planning to visit the area and have a few letter confirming the death and place of burial (0.5 miles NW of Fricourt and 2.5 miles E of Albert). If you or anyone else has details of graveyards in the area it would be of great help.

many thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Please could you look up my Grandfather's cousin:-

SPARK, ARCHIBALD GRAHAM

Initials: A G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Awards: MC

Additional information: Son of Jane Livingstone Oatt Spark, and the late Rev. Alexander Spark. Born at Kirkwall.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 3.

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL

THanks

Jane

Jane

If you hang fire for a couple of days I think I might have the brigade diary for the period.

Andy

Max

Thanks very much for that.

I have just ordered from Pontefract to Picardy: The 9th King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in the Great War

I don't know if wil help my quest

Jane

Hello Jane

No problem

I am not familiar with the book, have you got details? I have no doubt that it will be of great help with your research.

Andy

Andy

The book arrived today I bought it from Amazon Marketplace

Derek Clayton, From Pontefract to Picardy: The 9th King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in the First World War (Stroud: Tempus Publishing, 2004) ISBN 0 7524 3165 X £17.99

It was a bit cheaper from Amazon £15 + p&p

Frustratingly there is a pic on the front cover of the officers but AG Spark is cut in 2

There is a picture of his grave stone though but no mention of his death or MC in the text.

Jane

Hello Jane

Thank you very much for the info, I have ordered my copy via Amazon.

As for the photo, it may well be worth contacting the author to find the source of the cover photo.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm trying to find the circumstances leading to the death of 10868 L/Cpl Harold Oglesby, 2nd Btn KOYLI who enlisted in Wakefield 1913. He is reported killed on 18th October 1914. I have found some useful reports about Le Cateau, but little of the battalion movements before or immediately after.

He was a former pupil of the school where I work, and in the course of my research I have spoken to his neice, who would love to know about the uncle she never met.

Many thanks

Dave Waite

Hello Dave

L/Cpl Oglesby (born Scawby Brigg, Lincs) was KiA whilst attacking Chateau Wood which is near Lannoy and almost two months after the action at Le Cateau. Unfortunately his body was not recovered and he is remembered on the LE TOURET MEMORIAL.

I am away from my books at the moment but when I have access to them I will post what the Regimental history says.

Andy

Many thanks for that; it's added another piece to the puzzle. From your details do I presume that you are close to the KOYLI regimental museum? L/Cpl Oglesby's neice (still living in Scawby) says that his dress uniform and medals were donated to Scunthorpe museum, who then passed them on. I've tried contacting the museum, but may have to arrange a visit.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Dave

Hello Dave

I do live near Doncaster (the KOYLI museum is quite good) but I have the first three volumes of the regimental history (1755 to 1918)

Andy

Hi Max

Thank you for your help

Have been doing some more work on my man Capt A Graham Spark 9 KOYLI.

Checked out War Diary at NA yesterday and there is no exact description of how he died but the Battalion were obviously very upset as the wire had not been cut properly

TRENCHES 9/4/17 Battalion in action. Assault on HINDENBURG line unsuccessful owing to insufficient artillery preparation. Capt A G Spark, 2 Lt R R Akrill-Jones & 2Lt S Harvey killed. 8 Officers & 176 OR Killed, Wounded or Missing.

There was also a file of letters to do with A Graham Spark's estate at the Archive seems the pay Office were very slow in giving the family the deceased officer's back pay. Also copies of the Telegram sent to the family telling of his death, I don't know if anyone would wish me to post copy of telegram here?

I have contacted Paul Reed re photo of the officers on his website.

Hoping to visit COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL soon, if anyone would like photos please PM me as it is easy to miss postings on the board

Jane

Hello Jane

Thanks for the update. I would be interested to see acopy of the telegram.

Andy

Here is a copy of the Telegram sent to A Graham's brother Rev Alex Spark an identical one was also sent to his father also a Rev Alex Spark!

The military file has helped me unravel some of my Family History confusion re these two.

Jane

post-4960-1123885782.jpg

Hello Jane

Thank you very much for that, it is the first notification telegram that I have seen.

Thanks again

Andy