Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

Hi Andy,

I was wondering if you could have a look in your history for any references to my great grandfather:

Pte William Wilkinson 49673, 9th KOYLI, A Company

He arrived at the Front around the 2nd April 1918, and went to Kemmel Shelters Camp, and helped to resist the Germans there. He then moved with the regiment to the front line near Rheims. Following this he was caught up in the German offensive there, and was taken prisoner on the 27th May 1918.

Any reference to him, or A company over that period would be very much appreciated. Also if you can provide any specifics on Kemmel shelters camp, or the period between April 2nd and May 27th I would be most grateful.

Finally if you have time could you look up any references to:

Captain Frank Marsden, M.M., 9th KOYLI, C Company

He was also captured on the 27th, in a redoubt just adjacent to my Great Grandfather. I believe that he had previously been in the 8th KOYLI when he won his MM. His details then were, 18605 Sergeant-Major F.A Marsden.

Many Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Oli

Hello Oli -

I hope you are well ... don't know if you remember me ... seems like it's been a long while; you and I conversed last year on the forum and in email about my grandfather, Frank Marsden. While doing a search this evening, I couldn't help but see your recent post on the Forum from January when you were asking Andy ("Max") about anything he could find in the KOYLI Regimental History about Frank.

Could I trouble you to pass along anything he was able to find for you? Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Paul Jerram

Roswell, GA USA

PS: tried PM'ing you but your Inbox is full.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

I know this is now a bit of an old post but I've only just seen it. I emailed you all the new stuff I had gathered about our relatives. I included a few pics from when I went to the place they were caught. In that lot was the stuff Andy sent me (hope this was OK with you Andy :) ) so hopefully you got it. If not let me know.

I have cleaned out my inbox as well so you should be able to get through. Sorry about that.

Regards

Oli

Andy,

am reserching Arthur Ripley from Leeds i think was an officer in the 12 bn K.O.Y.L.I. Would it be possible to do a quick search and confirm same thanks.

Dave.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully you will see this post Andy. Is there a record of 2nd Lt Albert Jenkinson in the 2/4th battn from 1914 right through to the end? I have most of this gentlemens artifacts.

Mark

• 3 months later...

Dear Andy,

(my first post - by the way)

I have just been reading through your pages of help - this site overwhelms me with its comradeship.

Many thanks for the mention of the book "Unceasing War" written by Malcolm Johnson, this should really help me out with own personal research on the 6th KOYLIs – two of my great-uncles fell at the Somme.

If anyone else has need any need of information about the 6th KOYLIs, or would like to pool their information, please get in touch.

Well done for all your help that you have given.

Charlie.

• 3 months later...
Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason :D )

Andy

Hi Andy

This is my fort post to the forum, hope I am doing it right. I realise this thread is quite old though I see the last posting was Sept 08.

I am researching my g-g-uncle Lt. John W. Bamber, 10th Bn KOYLI, died July 1, 1916 and is buried in the Gordon Dump Cemetery.

I was pleased to see him mentioned in your reply in post #59 as accompanying the battalion to France. Is he mentioned again at all, especially any information about him on the day he died, July 1, 1916?

Many thanks in advance.

Ian

Canada

Hi Ian

Welcome to the Forum.If you havent got his MIC here it is off ancestry with his dads addy on it as NEXT OF kIN.

Ady ^_^

post-9371-1230911480.jpg

Hi Ady, No, I did not have this - many thanks for the reply!

I do have his service record from the NA, as well as the 10th KOYLI Diary for June and July 1916 but there is not much there.

Thanks again!

Ian.

• 2 months later...
Please could you look up my Grandfather's cousin:-

SPARK, ARCHIBALD GRAHAM

Initials: A G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Awards: MC

Additional information: Son of Jane Livingstone Oatt Spark, and the late Rev. Alexander Spark. Born at Kirkwall.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 3.

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL

THanks

Jane

Please could you look up my Grandfather's cousin:-

SPARK, ARCHIBALD GRAHAM

Initials: A G

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Awards: MC

Additional information: Son of Jane Livingstone Oatt Spark, and the late Rev. Alexander Spark. Born at Kirkwall.

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 3.

Cemetery: COJEUL BRITISH CEMETERY, ST. MARTIN-SUR-COJEUL

THanks

Jane

Hello , you may be interested to know that his name appears on the Church War Memorial here in Glasgow where his brother was the minister.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

Can you please look up 6th Bn Koyli for the 9th April 1917 Arras? Trying to work out where LCpl Charles Gittins was when he died.6th Bn was part of 14th Div 43rd Brgde.Think they went over top at about 7.30am.

Any info would be great

Regards

Lesley :rolleyes:

Hi Lesley,

hope you dont mind me jumping in here but have been researching my grandfather who was with the 6th on these dates and i had this info to hand !.

below is an extract from a book called Unceasing war by malcolm johnson,its a history of the 6th in the great war, long out of print now i'm afraid.

The 6th battalion was part of the british 14th division(light) and on the 7th april 1917 moved into the caves and tunnels at Ronville ready for the attack on the 9th april.

The tunnels would emerge only 1000 yards from the german lines, at ,at 7.35am on the 9th april in snowy conditions the 6th battalion went over the top and towards their first objective,Pine lane trench,the Germans were taken by surprise,with a tank breaking down the barbed wire,pine lane trench was captured by 8am.

The next objective was a strongpoint know as Fir Alley Redoubt,again with tank support this fell quickly and by 8.40am the final objective for the 6th battalion,Telegraph hill trenches were also taken.

The next day the 6th were involved in the battle for Wancourt,heavy shelling by the Germans from hill 90 held up the advance but by late afternoon the Germans pulled back,

that evening the 6th battalion were relieved and moved away to the old british lines at Beaurains.

hope this is of some use,

kind regards,

John.

Hi Lesley

To add to what John has given you, I have a lot of material from the attacks on the 9th April, if you interested send a PM and I will see what might be useful for you - you as well John. might be hard to pin down wherever LCpl Charles Gittins actually died but the general area is pretty clear. This link might also interest you for the 9th April.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t=0&start=0

Jim

Thanks to John & Jim for speedy reply this is just what I'm after.

LCpl Gittins is not related to me but I bought a postcard off ebay the other day showing a wooden cross marking his grave along with a Pte Wilson. Both being from Sheffield like myself I decided to find out where they were 9.04.1917. I haven't looked at the Arras period I have been concentrating on Third Ypres so this has been an absorbing project.

Ta will get back if that's ok

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

hope you dont mind me jumping in here but have been researching my grandfather who was with the 6th on these dates and i had this info to hand !.

below is an extract from a book called Unceasing war by malcolm johnson,its a history of the 6th in the great war, long out of print now i'm afraid.

The 6th battalion was part of the british 14th division(light) and on the 7th april 1917 moved into the caves and tunnels at Ronville ready for the attack on the 9th april.

The tunnels would emerge only 1000 yards from the german lines, at ,at 7.35am on the 9th april in snowy conditions the 6th battalion went over the top and towards their first objective,Pine lane trench,the Germans were taken by surprise,with a tank breaking down the barbed wire,pine lane trench was captured by 8am.

The next objective was a strongpoint know as Fir Alley Redoubt,again with tank support this fell quickly and by 8.40am the final objective for the 6th battalion,Telegraph hill trenches were also taken.

The next day the 6th were involved in the battle for Wancourt,heavy shelling by the Germans from hill 90 held up the advance but by late afternoon the Germans pulled back,

that evening the 6th battalion were relieved and moved away to the old british lines at Beaurains.

hope this is of some use,

kind regards,

John.

Hi Jim I can't seem to send a PM any suggestions - I am new to this!!

Les

te name='Jim Smithson' date='Mar 29 2009, 11:16 AM' post='1150200']

Hi Lesley

To add to what John has given you, I have a lot of material from the attacks on the 9th April, if you interested send a PM and I will see what might be useful for you - you as well John. might be hard to pin down wherever LCpl Charles Gittins actually died but the general area is pretty clear. This link might also interest you for the 9th April.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...t=0&start=0

Jim

Hi Jim I can't seem to send a PM any suggestions - I am new to this!!

Les

Hi Lesley,

think you may have to make 10 posts before you can send pms, so nearly there !, you may have this but here are the details from the CWGC,

Name: GITTINS, CHARLES

Initials: C

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Service No: 24631

Additional information: Son of Richard and Lily Gittins, of 12, Court, 3, House, Eyre Lane, Sheffield.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. G. 8.

Cemetery: TILLOY BRITISH CEMETERY, TILLOY-LES-MOFFLAINES

cheers,

John.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Andy,

Could you possibly look and see if their is any mention of L/Cpl Allan Hargill, he died in December 1915.

Regards

Tina

Hi Tina

I have a copy of this book - but sorry no mention of L/Cpl Allan Hargill.

Regards

Jane

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason biggrin.gif )

Andy

Hello Max

I am making a study about the last days of WWI between Audenarde and Tournai area in Belgium. I noticed the 15th KOYLI got involved. In this way I would be grateful if you could share some info of 8/9/10 and 11 November 1918.

Kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

• 7 years later...

I’m looking for any info on my Gt Grandfather, Fred Cotton. He was demobbed at the end of the war but got a Military medal, gazetted in 1919 as Sjt F. (Fred not Frederick) Cotton 38611 2nd Battalion KOYLI. I don’t think he joined in 2nd Battalion as he was given 1915 Star with date May 15. We have an image of him as a L/Cpl in hospital blues (not sure of the location) but he had a medal ribbon on his blues too. No sign of visible injury, so assume he was gassed at some point.

any help regards his MM or anything else would be greatly appreciated.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum, it would be best if  you start a new thread in Soldiers section, rather than tag into a very old thread. If you can add as much information as possible, hopefully you will get some answers.

Michelle