Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

Hello Andy,

I wonder if you could help me - I am trying to find any information I can about a distant relative of mine.

His name was Joseph Cawdery. He was a private in KOYLI 2nd bat. service No. 10142. Born 6/12/1887. Killed in action on 2nd December, 1917.

Do you by chance have any info. on him or his death. - Thanks very much for any light you can shed on this for me.

• 5 months later...
Guest kev7dags1

Hello Andy

I am new to the forum and I would like to know if you have any information on Father and son Lt Col H Moorhouse and Capt R Moorhouse who were both killed in the battle of Poelcapelle on 9th October 1917. They were in the 4th KOYLI.

Many thanks for any info you may have

Kev

• 1 month later...

Hello Andy,

Wondering if you could help me with an officer - Capt/Maj Arthur John Evans Smith who I believe served with the 2/KOYLI circa 1915-1916 or possibly later.

Thanks

Des

Is there any information on 12th KOYLI training at Farnley Camp, near Otley, October 1914-May 1915?

• 1 year later...

Hello Andy, I am doing a bit of research on a medal group that I have to Walter PELLS from the 1/4th KOYLI. He died of wounds on the 25th July 1917.

Casualty list for the 1/4th KOYLI July 1917.

19/7: DOW 1

21/7: KIA 6

22/7: 2 KIA 1 DOW

23/7: 1KIA 2 DOW

24/7: 30 DOW

25/7: 18 DOW

26/7: 16 DOW

27/7: 9 DOW

28/7: 11 DOW

29/7: 6 DOW

30/7: 6 DOW

31/7: 6 DOW

1/8 : 5 DOW

The casualty’s are buried in four different locations due to Hospital or casualty clearing station locations.

Do you have any information as to exactly what the 1/4th were up to during July 1917?

Thanks Ed

Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason :D )

Andy

hi. thanks for the offer.

my greatgrandad was in the battle of le cateau with the author.

could you tell me if he is mentioned. Sgt john william mullins 7214

thank you.

The casualty’s are buried in four different locations due to Hospital or casualty clearing station locations.

Do you have any information as to exactly what the 1/4th were up to during July 1917?

Ed

Sorry I missed your post earlier, I will have a look and post tommorrow.

Andy

hi. thanks for the offer.

my greatgrandad was in the battle of le cateau with the author.

could you tell me if he is mentioned. Sgt john william mullins 7214

thank you.

Sgt. Mullins is mentioned (much to my surprise).....I will post later today with the relevent section, it is quite amusing given the circumstances.

Andy

Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason :D )

Andy

hi andy. greatly looking forward to my greatgrandfathers mention in your book.

lee.

Hello Everyone

Andy

Hi Andy, This is my very first post! I hope you can help, a friend recently found a letter written by his Great Grandfather,(PTE 20989 William Shaw Yorks LI his MIC stated he arrived in France on 19/5/15). In it he claims to have been recommended for the DCM, although we can't find any proof of any Gallantry Awards.

Sadly, he was Pensioned out in 1918 (War Badge number 369614 ) suffering from Gas inhalation. He died some time after the War and was retrispectively added to the Sharlston War Memorial. I wonder if you have any info reagarding William.

Many thanks

Rob

Hello Ed

The 1/4th was initially in the Annazin sector, but from the 18th of the month were manning the Neiuport defences on the coast just north of Dunkirk.

Andy

Hi Andy, This is my very first post! I hope you can help, a friend recently found a letter written by his Great Grandfather,(PTE 20989 William Shaw Yorks LI his MIC stated he arrived in France on 19/5/15). In it he claims to have been recommended for the DCM, although we can't find any proof of any Gallantry Awards.

Sadly, he was Pensioned out in 1918 (War Badge number 369614 ) suffering from Gas inhalation. He died some time after the War and was retrispectively added to the Sharlston War Memorial. I wonder if you have any info reagarding William.

Many thanks

Rob

Hello Rob, and welcome to the forum.

Have you any idea which battalion William served with. Given the date of entry it could be 1st, 2nd, 1/4th or 1/5th. The 6th Battalion landed on 22nd May 1915, so it looks like this is just too late for him.

Andy

Hi Andy, yes the date isn't a straight forward date of entry. I have been advised that best guess would be 1/5th, though its not guaranteed. Thanks for your help Rob

Thanks for that Andy, a couple of the other members have also provided a bit of info as to what was going on. Apparently they were hit with a heavy gas attack which resulted in all of the died of wounds.

This has prompted me to give a talk at the local historical society on gas in the great war.

Thanks again

Cheers Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I was wondering if you could have a look in your history for any references to my great grandfather:

Pte William Wilkinson 49673, 9th KOYLI, A Company

He arrived at the Front around the 2nd April 1918, and went to Kemmel Shelters Camp, and helped to resist the Germans there. He then moved with the regiment to the front line near Rheims. Following this he was caught up in the German offensive there, and was taken prisoner on the 27th May 1918.

Any reference to him, or A company over that period would be very much appreciated. Also if you can provide any specifics on Kemmel shelters camp, or the period between April 2nd and May 27th I would be most grateful.

Finally if you have time could you look up any references to:

Captain Frank Marsden, M.M., 9th KOYLI, C Company

He was also captured on the 27th, in a redoubt just adjacent to my Great Grandfather. I believe that he had previously been in the 8th KOYLI when he won his MM. His details then were, 18605 Sergeant-Major F.A Marsden.

Many Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

Oli

Hello,

I'm trying to find out about my Great Uncle. Private John George Hodgson, who enlisted in the Green Howards (Yorkshire Regiment), but was apparently transfered to KOYLI (Private 34907).

He was killed (or possibly died of wounds) 16th Sept 1916 and is buried in the small Ville-Sur-Ancre cemetery.

Anything about operations of 9th OR 12th Bn, KOYLI on 15/16th Sept 1916 would be very much appreciated.

The reason for asking about both units is because there is a possible discrepancy concerning the unit he was with - CWGC give 16th KOYLI (Pioneers) whilst I have heard from other forum members that a CD listing soldiers killed in Great War, gives him as 9th KOYLI. For 16th Sept 1916, the CWGC list 97 deaths in 9th and only 1 in the 12th (my great uncle) which seems odd.

His burial is also some way away from where I hear the 12th were and closer to the location of the 9th. The person in the grave next to him was with the 9th too.

Hoping very much that some further light can be shed on this.

Thanks ever so much.

Pete.

Hello Pete and Oli

If you send me your email addresses by PM I will scan what I have and send it on...probably on saturday if that is ok.

Andy

hello,

my grandfather served in the 6th battn. KOYLI from october 1916 untill it was disbanded in feb.1918, just wondered if there was any reference to any of the actions the 6th was invoved in in this period.

many thanks.

regards, John.

Andy,

I was wondering if you could see what it says about the actions of 10th battn on the day of 10th April 1917 at Arras. I am collating infomation for an account where Pvt Waller won his VC.

regards

Arm

Hello John

There is far too much information to pass on for the 6/KOYLI in the period that you mention....could you be a bit more specific. Alternatively there is a history of the 6/KOYLI called "Unceasing War" written by Malcolm Johnson and available from Doncaster Museum....its very good, and extremely detailed.

Andy

Arm

I think that I might have the bn and bde war diaries for the day, do you want them as well?

Andy

Hi Andy,

thanks for your reply, you are right the time period i gave you was too big,sorry about that !!,

the book you mention sounds just the ticket, i am going to get hold of a copy.

Thanks very much for the information.

cheers,

John.

I think that I might have the bn and bde war diaries for the day, do you want them as well?

Yes please. I have replied to your pm

regards

Arm

Public thank you for the help by Andy in the information supplied. It ceases to amze me the lengths Pals will go to to help out.

Thank you

regards

Arm

Whilst it's unlikely he'll be mentioned by name, I'd be grateful to know what the battalion was involved in on the day of my Great Uncles death. Joseph Haywood, Pte, 242760, 5th Btn, KIA 20/7/1918, commemorated on Soissons Memorial. Thanks so much!