Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

Hi Andy,

Could you do a look up for me about the action the KOYLI were involved in on the night of 7th/8th May 1915 (2nd Ypres) especially interested in anything that relates to the 3rd Monmouthshires.

Thank you

Martyn

Hello Martyn

I have quite a bit of stuff regarding 3rd Mons/KOYLI and Frezenberg. I will get to it over the weekend.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello Max,

I wonder if you could have a look in the index to see if there is any mention of why 9432 Sjt W Whittaker (sometimes spelt Whitaker) was mentioned in despatches.

He arrived in France on 11/11/14 and was mentioned in despatches (LG 15 Feb '15) whilst serving with the 2/KOYLI. The gazette in which his MID appears is a follow-up to French's despatch of 20th November 1914. So on the face of it the act for which he was mentioned took place between 11th and 20th November. However, it is possible that the act could have taken place at any time up to 14th January (the date of the despatch published in LG of 15 Feb 15).

Many thanks,

Jon

Hello Jon

Unfortunately there is no mention of Sjt. Whitaker at all.

Sorry

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for looking.

Jon

Hello Max,

I have just come across your thread when idly putting Le Cateau in the search engine of the forum.

On a recent trip to Le Cateau I met lady whose father was Pte. 10647 Samuel Kinchin of 2nd KOYLI who was captured in August 1914 during the retreat at Le Cateau. I was wondering if there was anything in the history about this action. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason  :D )

Andy

Andy,

Does the History go into great detail concerning the 2 KOYLI at Le Cateau in August, 1914.

I would welcome any help yopu can give.

Best,

Paul Byrne

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jimmy Knacky

Is there owt on 2nd KOYLI for the end of October 1914?

Alfred Wadey. Lance Corporal 8056.

2nd Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Date of Death: 28/10/1914.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Cemetery: LE TOURET MEMORIAL Panel 31.

Born Willington Quay. Wallsend.

Enlisted North Shields.

Is there owt on 2nd KOYLI for the end of October 1914?

Alfred Wadey. Lance Corporal 8056.

2nd Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Date of Death: 28/10/1914.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Cemetery: LE TOURET MEMORIAL Panel 31.

Born Willington Quay. Wallsend.

Enlisted North Shields.

Hello James old chap.

I'll have a look for you tonight. I wouldn't hold out much hope of him being named but any action that he was killed in may well be mentioned.

Andy

Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason  :D )

Andy

Max

I am researching No. 7128 L/Cpl Charles Milburn 1/4th Batt. KOYLI KIA 29th October 1916. Please will you tell me what action took place on that date and whether Charles is mentioned? Many thanks Steve

Max

I am researching No. 7128 L/Cpl Charles Milburn 1/4th Batt. KOYLI KIA 29th October 1916.  Please will you tell me what action took place on that date and whether Charles is mentioned?  Many thanks Steve

Hello Steve

I have checked the History and unfortunately L/Cpl Milburn is not mentioned and neither is what 1/4th were doing at this time.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Andy

Hello Steve

I have checked the History and unfortunately L/Cpl Milburn is not mentioned and neither is what 1/4th were doing at this time.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

Andy

Hi Andy

Thanks for taking the trouble to look and reply so quickly.

Steve

Guest Jimmy Knacky
Hello James old chap.

I'll have a look for you tonight. I wouldn't hold out much hope of him being named but any action that he was killed in may well be mentioned.

Andy

Cheers Andy mate got the PM you sent....................

Hello Andy, Private Francis Turbutt Earley 5th bn KOYLI died aged 19 Monday 2nd Sept 1918 buried Bac-du sud, Bailleulval cemetery France. Have you any info? I would like to be able to get a photo of him any ideas. Hope to hear from you .

Chrissy ;)

Andy,

This is a long shot but I wonder if you'd be kind enough to see if there is any mention of an officer called William Hathaway Davis. He was originally in KOYLI (I don't know which Bn) but ended up as a Major in the MGC. I THINK I know which part of the MGC he was in but I'm not sure.

thanks

Julian

Max, thanks anyway, he probably transferred quite early so didn't figure very much in KOYLI history. I'll let you know if I do find anything out if you like

Julian

• 1 month later...
Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason :D )

Andy

Dear Andy,

Please could you help me.

I am researching my Great Grandfather.

All I can tell you is that.His medal record indicates that he did not play a part in the whole of WW1.His Army Number was 49754.He served with the KOYLI West Riding, and I know that his Brother's diary states that he was part of 'E' Company and also 3rd KOYLI is mentioned.

I know that he was at Heddon Racecourse in Hull in 1918 and that he was discharged from Wakefield Hospital in May 1919 and returned to Germany with occupying forces.

Can you tell me if you think he fought in any battles and if so which or was he just part of some reserve force.

Any help would be great thanks.

Yours sincerely

Mick

Hello Mick

Was your Great Grandfather called Sam Ashton? Have you downloaded his medal index card?, if so could you post an image of it here so I can have a look at it.

Andy

Hello Mick

Was your Great Grandfather called Sam Ashton? Have you downloaded his medal index card?, if so could you post an image of it here so I can have a look at it.

Andy

Dear Andy,

Thanks for replying.

I was amazed when you knew my Great Grandfathers name.

Yes you are right my Great Grandfather was Private Sam Ashton.

I am attaching his medal card.His is top left,but does not tell you much.I dont think.

Anything you could tell me would be great as I have been researching on and off for months but have not been able to work anything out.

Thanks

Yours sincerely

Mick

Dear Andy,

Re:Private Sam Ashton KOYLI

I don't think my system is attaching my GGrandfathers Medal record,but basically all I can tell you is that it states his name only,no service record or anything else just details of the medals awarded and his Army number.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Mick

Hello Mick

There appears to be a problem with attaching images at the moment. Send it to andyr@maxmast666.fsnet.co.uk and I will have a look at it for you.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I am looking for details of my great grandfather CLARENCE THORPE.

He was a Corporal in the 2nd Bn KOYLI (34407)and died on 8th July 1917 in France.

Any mention of him or actions around that day would be of great help.

Thanks

Karen

Hello Karen

I will have a look and get back to you. I wouldn't hold out much hope of your GGrandfather being mentioned but there is every chance that a description of the days events will exist.

Andy

Hello Karen

Use the PM feature (below left) to send me your email address and I will send you the pertinent sections out of the history.

FYI your GGrandad was actually killed near the Belgium coast (not France) and is buried at Coxyde Cemetery (details here) http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...?casualty=90509

Best regs

Andy