Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

Dear Max,

Grateful thanks for this lookup. Could I trouble you to confirm whether Cpt HO Brown was at Divisional HQ for the 62nd Division or Bn HQ?

My reasoning here is that perhaps Cpt H. O. Brown was at divisional HQ and presented with a list of KIA on 3rd April 1918, and it was his duty to write a series of letters to next of kin - members of the Dukes, the KOYLI and the West Yorkshires alike. This is massive conjecture, but a possibility of this type or similar seems to be emerging as the most likely reason why a Captain in the KOYLI would write a letter for a lance corporal in the Dukes and sign himself platoon commander.

However, I am becoming more certain that this is the H Brown I should be researching in order to set my lcpl into his appropriate context, so many thanks for your details on this Captain.

regards

doogal

Hello Doogal

Unfortunately, the history puts Brown at Battalion HQ (don't know specifically about 3rd April though).

Have you considered that it was your L-Cpl who was attached to the KOYLI rather than Brown attached to the Dukes.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the fast response - as you say, the next route is to consider that my L/cpl was attached to the KOYLI - especially as H O Brown is down as being at bn HQ.

In broad terms, do you reckon this kind of attachment is likely to have been recorded at all?

I've seen the war diaries for the Dukes, and brief mention of some officers is made, but a L/col seems highly unlikely. Anyhow, it looks as if I may be attached to the KOYLI whilst I follow this up!

rgds

doogal

Hello Doogal

I can't think of a reason that a L/Cpl from the Dukes would be attached to the KOYLI, but you never know. If you email me off forum with your email address I will send you info regarding the actions of the KOYLI during the period you are interested in, it may give you a better overall idea of what was happening.

Andy

Max

Belated thanks for the look-up re Sales.

Regards

Mark

• 4 months later...

Max,

The death of Colin Blythe is being currently being discussed in a thread under the topic ‘Other’

See http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=20620

His details from the CWGC are as follows;

Name: BLYTHE, COLIN (CHARLIE)

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/11/1917

Service No: 49296

Is it possible that he is mentioned in any of the literature which you have?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Hello Michael

I have checked through everything that I have and unfortunately there is no mention of Colin Blythe.

Sorry

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

I RECENTLY VISITED THE GRAVE OF MY GREAT GRANDFATHER GEORGE HENRY SPEIGHT IN THE CEMETERY AT MT HUON, LE TREPORT.

HE WAS WITH THE 1/4TH KOYLI AND WAS ADMITTED TO THE GENERAL HOSPITAL, LE TREPORT ON THE 24TH JULY 1917 WITH THE EFFECTS OF GAS. HE DIED ON THE 28TH JULY 1917.

I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHERE HE WAS WHEN HE SUSTAINED THESE INJURIES. CAN ANYONE INFORM ME WHERE THE 1/4TH KOYLI WERE AROUND THIS TIME? I HAVE SEARCHED VARIOUS WEBSITES AND BOOKS BUT CANNOT FIND DEFINITE EVIDENCE.

Hello Alan

I have been away for a few days but will look up the info for you this evening.

Andy

Here you go. I think that this explains the circumstances of your Great Grandfathers quite well.

post-16-1099065287.jpg

Thanks Max.

Information much appreciated.

Looking through CWGC records there are a number of Speights from the same area. I don't know whether there were any brothers or cousins. I will do a bit of digging on the geneology side and then I may be back.

Thanks again.

i am researching a soldier in the koyli 2nd bn who was killed on november 25 1917 will you please look up see if there is any info as to what the 2nd bn were doing on this date thanks for any help dave

HI,

I am trying to find out more about a 'Private William Entwistle'.

According to his death certificate he was formerly a Private in the KOYLI and he died aged 23 of Pneumonia and a Gunshot Wound to the chest at Bellahoustan Miltary Hospital, Glasgow in 1921. (The date is a bit of a mystery as obviously slightly post war....)

I wondered if you could shed any light on the activities of the KOYLI 1918-1921 and/or tell me if there is any mention of the above young man.

I am guessing he was wounded in or shortly after the War. He is not listed on the Commonweath War Graves site. I have found his medal card, yet to look up the ref at Kew.

Thanks for you time

:)

I am trying to find out more about a 'Private William Entwistle'.

Hello Entwistle

Unfortunately the three volumes of the "History of the KOYLI" that I have only run up to 1918 and therefore would have no mention of events post this date.

Sorry I can't be of any further help

Andy

i am researching a soldier in the koyli 2nd bn who was killed on november 25 1917 will you please look up see if there is any info as to what the 2nd bn were doing on this date thanks for any help dave

On the 23rd November 1917 2/KOYLI relieved the 2/R.Sussex in the right sub-sector of the II Corps front. This was about three-quarters of a mile north-east of Passchendale, one and a quarter miles south of Westroosebeke. Before the forward companies completed the relief in the dark at 8.p.m. the KOYLI had already taken thirty casualties.

On 25th November the Battalion was relieved by the 16/HLI.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Max

Im still in a bit of confusion after reading loads of info on nearly every Forum going... Just wondering if you could help please.

Im reserching my gg uncle's history in the great war, he joined the 5th Kings own Yorkshire Light infantry, which I belive went to France at the same time as the 4th Battalion ?

And became the 2/4 and 2/5 KOLYI witch joined forces to make part of the 62nd Division?... which were involed in the the battle of the marne (first)?

CWGC Record

MICKLEBORO, ROBERT

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/07/1918

Service No: 3/1508

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. AA. 3.

Cemetery: MARFAUX BRITISH CEMETERY

I hope you may help me, in my confusion... and maybe shell a little light on what battle he was in when he fell for his country......thank you

Regards

Gary Mickleboro

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Max,

Wonder if you could help? Am trying to piece together the war service of my grandfather, Horace Johnson, who was a private in the 1/4th Btn. KOYLI. I know he embarked for France in April 1915 and served throughout the war, being demobbed in 1919. I know the likelihood of him being mentioned in any history of KOYLI is nill, but wondered if there were any details about the movements of the battalion and the battles they were involved in? Any help or advice would be very welcome.

Thanks

Michael Booth :D

Hello Michael

I have checked the history and, as you quite rightly stated, your grandfather is not mentioned.

There is a whole raft of information regarding the actions and movements of the 1/4th (4th) KOYLI, way too much to scan and post here. If you want to know about specific actions/battles I don't have a problem with that at all, just let me know what you want and I will post it (use this link as an indicator http://www.1914-1918.net/koyli.htm ).

Alternatively, I have just spotted a modern reprint of RC Bonds - KOYLI in the Great War on ebay at a "buy it now" price of £22. This has to be a real bargain as I paid significantly more for my original copy and it is a must have for any serious KOYLI researcher. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

As I said, let me know specifically what you want and I will scan and mail to you.

Best regards

Andy

Hi Max,

Thanks for getting back to me. The two battles I am most interested in are The Somme and the Third Ypres (Passchendaele). Am not surprised there was no mention of grandfather - he was just an ordinary Tommy, a lewis gunner according to his war papers.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Michael ;)