Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KOYLI

Max

Hello Everyone

I am in possesion of the first three volumes of the History of the KOYLI, the third of these volumes being a record of the regiment during the Great War. This volume was written in 1929 by Lt Col. RC Bond, 2nd Bn CO during WW1. I would be more than happy to do look-ups or scan pages (within reason :D )

Andy

Andy,

Would you mind looking to see if there is any mention of Lt Archibald Hunter of the 9th bn who was KIA November 7th 1918 or any mention of the 9th's actions on that day.

Would be grateful for any info.

Bob.

Hello Bob

There is no specific mention of Lt Hunter in the history (for reasons explained in the text). However, this is how Bond describes the 9/KOYLI action of 7th November, 1918.

"At nightfall on November 5th most of the 21st Div. had reached the west bank of the Sambre. During the night light bridges were thrown across the river and the infantry in the right of the division forced a crossing which enabled the remainder further north to do the same.

Throughout November 6th the advance was continued relentlessly. Though the transport was hindered by the desperate condition of the roads through the forest, the infantry pushed ahead enthusiastically. The 110th Inf. Brigade was leading this day, and on the morning of the 7th it went ahead to seize the first objective of the day. The 64th Brigade then extended for attack and passed through.

In spite of excellent formation and good leading on the part of the company officers, the morning advance was held up by the intense fire of guns and machine guns. A fresh attack was organised in the afternoon on the villages about Limont-fontaine. The 9/KOYLI was in the front line. Ably led, the battalion this time made splendid progress and carried all before it by sheer determination. The villages were stoutly held and fierce fighting took place in the streets both of Limont and Eclaibes; the men fought regardless of casualties and simply refused to be denied the victory they had set out to gain. Both these villages were captured and cleared of the enemy, many of whom were taken prisoner.

The 17th Div. went through at midday on the 8th and the 21st retired from the front line for a rest. The 9/KOYLI withdrew to Bachant, and on to Berlaimont. On November 11th it was on the march to Limont again (the battalions own village by right of capture) when the news of the armistice reached the men on the march. There was no outward demonstration, but inwardly no doubt there was a supreme feeling of satisfaction.

No statistics and no names are to be gleaned of casualties, trophies or honours for this last period from the diaries; there were so many other more urgent matters to be dealt with..."

I hope that this helps

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Andy.

Could I trouble you for the entries for 2/KOYLI on April 18th 1915 and for 6/KOYLI on 20th September 1915?

Thanks,

Dave.

Max,

Anything on 9th and 10th batts whilst in 21st div at loos, specifically if there is any mention to the div commander Forestier-Walker and the way the div they belonged to conducted itself durng the battle of loos.

long shot i know but!

Arm.

Max,

Is there any info concerning Captain Harold Hirst, died June 24th, 1915, with the 1/4 Bn., or of what the Bn were doing that day?

Cheers.

Andy.

Hello Andy

On the 24th June the 1/4 were holding trenches on the left of the 8th Div at Fleurbaix. The history says:

"...the enemy shelled the new line, killing 2/Lt CB Sugden and 8 other ranks on the 26th and wounding 21 others. Capt. H Hirst was killed by a sniper on the 24th June. Two days later (26th) the battalion was withdrawn from no 6 section and it marched to Watou (Belgium)"

Hope this helps

Andy

• 1 month later...

Andy.

Do you have anything on the 1/5 KOYLI for 16th February 1916?

Thanks,

Dave.

Hello Dave

I've checked and unfortunately there is no mention of the period that you want. What prompted you to ask?

Andy

What prompted you to ask?

Hi Andy.

I've got the death plaque to a soldier who was KIA on this date who was serving in this unit. He's buried at Authuille and I was wondering just how he was killed.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Andy

Could you please do a look up for 2/5 Btn 27/11/17 and their attack on Bourlon Wood,I'm researching a man who was KIA on that day.

Regards Doug

Hello Doug

If you send me your email address to andy.riding@marshallsv.com I will scan the relevant sections and mail you them.

Andy

• 4 months later...

Hello Max,

this is my first post to the forum, i hope i get it right.

I am researching my local war memorial here in Yorkshire and i have several men from the 49th Division which as you will be aware has battalions of the KOYLI in it.

One of the soldiers is Pte Joe Cavill of the 1/5th Bn who died of wounds on the 31/8/16. Joe was hit in the leg by shrapnell from a shell and had to have his leg removed, he died shortly aftrewards.

I believe that around this date the 1/5th Bn, 148th (3rd West Riding) brigade, 49th Division where acting as reserve army to the Fourth army who where fighting The Battle of Pozieres - 23rd July - 3rd September 1916.

Could you please look in your book and see if it mentions where the 1/5th Bn or the 148th brigade where around this time and whot they where doing exactly.

any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated,

yours,

Peter.

• 1 month later...

Dear Max,

If possible, I would appreciate your help from the histories of the KOYLI- I'm trying to pin down details on the whereabouts and actions of the 2/5th KOYLI between the 25th March and 4th April 1918.

I am actually researching a soldier from the 2/5th Dukes, KIA 27/03/18, but whose platoon commander is signed as H Brown in a typed letter of condolence to the next of kin. The DWR does not show an H Brown as a commissioned officer, and the nearest (in terms of being in the 62nd Division) is H Brown of the 2/5 KOYLI.

Considering the intensity of fighting during this part of the war, there are any number of possibilities and explanations of this discrepancy, but estsablishing a more detailed context for this letter would make me much more confident that I am heading in the right direction with my research.

(Of course, this may not even be the same H Brown, and he may not have been in the line with his battalion at this point - but it seems the most logical starting point. From the Army Lists of April 1918, he was an Lt, but may have held the rank of acting Captain by late March 1918, and was posted with the 2/5th KOYLI from 1917).

with thanks

doogal

Max

I am researching a 2nd Lt Norman Sales, 2nd Battalion KOYLI. He was wounded at Carney on 20th December 1915 and later invalided home.

I would be most grateful for any information about the activities of the 2nd Battalion around this day.

Thanks

Mark

Hello Doogal and Mark

I have just seen your postings and will have a look in the History tommorrow evening when I get in from work.

Andy

Hello Mark

I have checked the regimental history and unfortunately there is no mention of either 2/Lt Sale or what the 2 Bn. were doing on the 20th December.

Sorry I couldn't be of any further help.

Andy

Hello Doogal

I have checked the regimental history and can confirm the following:

1/ On 27th January 1918 the 1/5th and 2/5th amalgamated to form the 5th Bn KOYLI.

2/ At this time H.O.Brown was listed as being Capt. (headquarters contingent)

3/ Capt Brown was wounded on 9th November 1918.

There is no mention of this Captain Brown having been attached to the Dukes.

Andy