Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Life in the Navy

Niall Cox

Glad to have this section, as I thought questions were only about the Army. Can anyone recommend any reading about conditions in the Navy at the time of the Great War. I realise that each man had a job, and sort of went about that job on ship in the same manner day to day, but what happened on enlistment as a 'Boy'; what was training like at establishments like 'Impregnable', how did it get decided when they would change ship, as they seemed to do so frequently; did they have a more regular leave pattern than the Army? Just interested in the Navy equivalent of 'Life in the Trenches'

Niall

Dear Niall,

Unlike military history naval history seems to be almost exclusively about equipment and tactics, little on the men or organisation.Most of what I have found out about the latter side comes from fiction.

There was a very good non-fiction book published in the 1960s called, I believe, "Men of the Dreadnoughts"

On the fiction side there are three books by Alexander Fullerton (who was himself a submarine officer) "The Blooding of the Guns" (Jutland), "Sixty Minutes for St George" (Zeebrugge) and "Patrol to the Golden Horn" (Dardanelles). They all give a full picture of operations and the latter is based on the epic voyage of a real submarine through the narrows to the Turkish inland sea. The claustrophobic atmosphere is well conveyed. The early part of "HMS Saracen" by Douglas Reeman covers the Dardanelles and shows how harsh life could be in the Navy.

tintin

Thanks for that, I hadn't really considered fiction, but I think going that way is a really good idea, so thanks for the suggestions.

Paul

Blimey, where do I sign??!! :o

Niall [already with his sailor suit on]

QUOTE (paul guthrie @ Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:13:43 +0000)

Rum, sodomy and the lash! 

Would you kindly explain this comment

Isn't that a typical Friday night down in Portsmouth :lol:

Will

Isn't that a typical Friday night down in Portsmouth  :lol:

Will

Any night really. A three badge Killick once told me when he joined up it was all "Rum, Bum and Baccy, now it's all juke box's jelly babies and jiving"

Roger.

Yeah OK, but all joking aside, the forum rules preclude us from making such innappropriate comments.

Michael

Speaking as a Naval type, I can't see the problem in quoting

A.) The title of an album by the Pogues.

B.) The titles of at least 2 books on Naval History, and

C.) Paraphrasing the Great Orator and one time First Lord of the Admiralty ( see, I even managed to get this back on topic!) Winston Churchill

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Isn't that a typical Friday night down in Portsmouth

Will

I believe so...

... and the local newspapers sell like hot cakes on Saturdays.

Hi Hussar,

I figure what could be safer than checking the forum in the morning?

Now I've got " A Pair of Brown Eyes" stuck in my head! :P

Take care,

Neil

From the earlier humour this might amuse readers

Standing Orders at the Royal Naval Division Depot, Crystal Palace stated

"The Fairy Archipelago is out of bounds"

(Crystal Palace was a sort of theme park before the war and many of the attractions remained in place when the RN took it over)

Niall

This first title will give you a general out look of life in the R.N.

Title: Sober men and true : sailor lives in the Royal Navy 1900-1945

Author: McKee, Christopher Date: 2002

ISBN/Control No. : 0674007360;

Although the second title moves away from the the WWI, it will still give you an insight into the life in the R.N.

In my opinion, life in the R.N. had not changed much by this time. And I must stress that I DO NOT agree with rebellion in any form whether it be riot or mutiny.

Title: The Invergordon mutiny : a narrative history of the last great mutiny in the Royal Navy and how it forced Britain off the Gold Standard in 1931 / Alan Ereira Author: Ereira, Alan Date: 1981

ISBN/Control No. : 0710009305;

Arthur

Thanks to Arthur and all the others for compiling my reading list. Although a lot of the books are still available new, I normally do a secondhand booksearch for most things. Strangely, although 'Sober men and True' is about the British Navy, every second hand copy I could find was in the USA - perhaps they had to read it themselves to believe it :)

Niall