Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ben Elton's book

uncle bill

Would it be alright if I still liked bits of Blackadder? :blink:

Tom, it would appear from this thread that those parts of Blackadder on which the dead hand of that Elton fellow has not fallen will be quite acceptable, thank you very much :)

(Though how you can identify them .... ??? Hmm, I have a cunning plan...)

Jim

• 1 month later...

Well, Santa brought this book "The First Casualty" down the chimney at Nulty Towers, and a very enjoyable read it was too.

For the record, I'm no fan of Ben Elton...far from it. And I also think that there are probably too many far fetched elements to the book for any GW purists. But as a plain old novel about the First World War, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Several areas, such as partaking in trench raids to interview a witness, doing something horrible to a German corpse to retrieve evidence, etc., really are stretching things a little too far, but for simple entertainment, it's just a detective novel which happens to be set in the vicinity of Ypres and is a good read.

Edited by Stephen Nulty

... but for simple entertainment, it's just a detective novel which happens to be set in the vicinity of Ypres and is a good read.

I think you just hit the nail on the head. Leslie Thomas wrote a similar novel set in occupied France during WW2 - I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was - an entertaining read.

Having also found it at the bottom of my stocking on Christmas day, I agree with Stephen that as a detective novel set in and around Ypres its a reasonable, if heavily cliched, read. The officers around who the murder mystery is focused are - almost inevitably - homosexual poets. I don't know who, if anyone, proof read it for military detail. My guess is no one as it really is littered with the 'howlers' mentioned above. For a start the hero has a beard. I may betray my own ignorance here but I'm sure that para. 1696, section XII, Kings Regulations 1914 forbids them (can anyone correct me on this ?). Further to this, on a number of occasions the hero is referred to as a Captain in the Royal Military Police. Wouldn't he have been Military Foot Police until 1926 and then not 'Royal' until 1946 ? Perhaps the worst error is the way the hero frequently removes his 'RMP badges' in order to mix with private soldiers and even at one point to travel in a railway wagon rather than an officers coach. This obviously ignores the major differences between officers and other ranks service dress and overlooks that the fact that a man in officers service dress but without any badges of either rank or unit would himself surely become the focus of MFP interest quite quickly !!!

For all this, its a clever - if far fetched - plot. Pals will need to read it as the fiction it is and not dig too deeply into Mr Elton's historical errors.

The book turned up in my stocking - I probably wouldn't have bought (being above that sort of thing ..... of course); however it was a gift from a dear friend so I read it (in about 3 hours).

Yes the premise is questionable (Met police detchive jailed for being a conscientious objector who then is sprung to travel to Passcendele to expose the death of a homosexual port by the SUS ); however it is no more far fetched than the later James Bond films. Consider it as light weight stuff, take a break and enjoy it.

As for those non WW1 buffs in the world, it will may tempt and sufficiently tittilate them to look deeper. B)

I got the book off Santa - read 4 pages and fell asleep. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the book.

I wouldn't recommend it even as very light reading or to use as a door stop. :blink:

The finale was terrible, the story was far-fetched and at times quite farcical.

Mr Elton should stick to comedy.

It's true that it a bit far fetched in places. Also true that it has the flavour of pastiche about it. But also true that it's a good page turner. And I thought he did well when writing about the trenches.

Marina

Although I have some criticisms, (the word brunch was certainly not around in 1917 as far as I'm aware for instance) I enjoyed the book. A pacey "who done it" which held my interest. Not for WW1 purists I guess, but after all, it is a novel.

Terry Reeves

Although I have some criticisms, (the word brunch was certainly not around in 1917 as far as I'm aware for instance)

My wife has read the book and says that it is OK, but nothing special.

The word brunch was mentioned in "Punch"magazine in 1896 ""Brunch...a portmanteau word combining 'breakfast' with 'lunch' for a meal taken late in the morning or just around noon", so it is possible that it was mentioned in the trenches.

Andy

Not for WW1 purists I guess

Then I shall immediately add it to my shopping list. For there is nothing worse than the WW1 purist anorak. Flogging is too good for them.

Have enjoyed all of his previous books and am just about to start "Past Mortem". This appears to be about "Friends Reunited". Are there any RF purists out there as I will be unable to tell if it's accurate or not.

J

The 'Daily Telegraph' gleefully reported that Mr Elton was at a book signing in Carlisle recently. Sitting behind a pile of 'The First Casualty' he was apparently approached by precisely two punters, who happened to be in the shop anyway.

I read it on holiday, and have to say I enjoyed it. Yes there are inaccuracies, yes there are bits which are faf fetched, but as a peice of fiction it was an enjoyable, stress free, on the beach read. He is writing a novel not a History degree text book.

Right, I may well be about to commit metaphorical suicide as far as this thread is concerned:

I acutally like Ben Elton. I've only read a couple of his books, 'High Society' being the most interesting and amusing. It's an obvious controversial topic that the book is based on, but it's well written, so even though it's not a war novel I would reccomend it if you fancy giving Elton more of a chance.

As far as Blackadder is concerned I watched the comedy connections programme on the BBC the other week and it was about Rowan Atkinson. Apparently the first series took a dive (I'm too young to remember exactly if it did or not) and when Rowan was head writer it wasn't going as planned, which is why he brought Elton in to hopefully improve the characters. I think the fact that people are still happy to watch Blackadder and still laugh at it proves that the partnership between Atkinson and Elton must have been a successful one in the public's eye, so it's a bit unfair to slag him off so much.

Hi Folks

I too got this book in my stocking on 25th Dec, & have just started to read it. So far, it seems to be an entertaining read, if not 100% accurate. One point that the author does seem to bring out against himself is that it was virtually unknown for a Conscientious Objector to be tried in a criminal court, much less get sent to Wormwood Scrubs. I also have doubts that 35 year old married Detective Inspectors with children would have actually been conscripted, but I am no expert on WW1 (or any other ) conscription regulations.

Once I finish the book, I will post again.

Cheers

Mark

Hi

May I just add that Ben Elton, quite correctly, co-wrote Black Adder Goes Forth. It was from this that his interest grew in the Great War, as he had a Grandfather in the British army and a Grandfather in the German army in the Great War. As pointed out before, he is writing a novel, and this book is by no means a fact based book!

I have read it and took it as light entertainment and furthered more awareness into the Great War as it sold out in our local WH Smith.

We could all sit around and pick faults with every book we have read, especially if we know better...

I think in this instance Mr Elton hasn't tried to be factual at all, but give us a 'general' idea of what went on in this time, in a parallel time constraint....sort of.

Lets all go and write a book then....... <_<

Cheers

Marc

I think I'd give it a go, I always like a book set in the Great War,and aren't too fussy about it's accuracy....it is fiction after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have read the book now, & must admit that I enjoyed it, although did (I believe) spot a few inaccuracies.

Incidently, met the author yesterday, got him to sign my copy, he seemed a really nice bloke, & pleased that I had enjoyed the book.

Cheers

Mark

P.S No, my copy will not be on E-Bay next week......

• 4 months later...

If you liked Blackadder... You will also like/buy this... ;)

Pat Barker's 'Regeneration' Trilogy meets 'Blackadder goes Forth' via the Da Vinci Code! (with perhaps a bit of 'Birdsong' thrown in).

Well this was on offer in Borders, so I bought it, Ignoring the comments of Pals who seemed to be reviewing it as a book of fact.

My thoughts a reasonable way to be entertained for a few hours, a number of historical problems, the usuall unbelievable plot and some characters, but this is after all supposed to be fiction!

As fiction I would give it 6 out of 10 definatly better than Birdsong.