Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Development of Ypres Salient 'sites'.

Mark Hone

On my recent visit to Ieper I noticed that Essex Farm has now been developed into 'Site John McCrae' with picnic area and notice boards in the same format as Yorkshire Trench. They also both have complimentary exhibitions at 'In Flanders Fields'. I assume that this is part of the Westhoek 'Peace Park'-are other sites in the Salient going to get the same treatment? There is a suggestion in the 'In Flanders Fields' magazine that St Eloi is also being developed in this way. Will the proposed Tyne Cot development be the same?

Hello Mark,

The sites at Essex Farm, St. Eloi and Yorkshire Trench are projects in Ypres and therefor are supported by the 'In Flanders Fields' Museum. There is some kind of complementary publicity for these.

Tyne Cot Cemetery visitor's centre is in Zonnebeke, so I guess they will make publicity there for their new museum in Zonnebeke (noticed the big board in front of the cemetery?)...

All these project are also somehow connected to the Westhoek Peace Park-project from the province of West Flanders (mostly for money they can get from there).

Jan