Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Finding the citation for an MC

Jerrymurland

Help please!! My great Uncle, Captain William Sydney Murland, 10th Hussars, won an MC. Gazetted on 3rd June 1919. I cannot find the citation anywhere using the Gazette online. In fact I had to go to the PRO in order to find the correct issue of the Gazette as all my searches online proved negative! Any suggestions how I go about finding the citation?

He is listed in Issue 31370, link. No idea where his citation is though.

It's this 3rd June date again. We can never seem to find citations for MCs on that day (in any year). The prevailing theory seems to be that they are King's Birthday Honours for "general gallant service".

:(

Steve.

3rd June 1919 Gazette is the "Peace" Gazette & in common with "New Years Honours" & "Birthday Honours" London Gazettes it is unfortunately uncommon to find Citations for these Awards as opposed to those published sporadically throughout the years,which often have later published Citations.

{A nuisance which Collectors & Researchers have had to accept for many decades! :angry: }

He is listed 4 May 1915 promotion from 2nd Lt to Lt antedated to 19/11/14.

17 October 1919 Lt W S Murland MC to be Capt 30/4/1919

5 December 1919 Promotion antedated to 15/1/1919.

Like others I cannot find his citation. I am inclined to agree that it was probably a King's birthday issue.

Fred

I have another example, that of T/Lt. (A/Capt.) Andrew Miller Anderson of the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Guards, whose MC was gazetted in the supplement of 3 June 1919 to the London Gazette of 30 May 1919. The information in this thread is therefore most helpful.

However, Steve and HarryBetts, having read your comments, I am wondering whether an award listed in a gazette of 3 June (particularly 3 June 1919) signifies anything about the nature of the event or events for which the award was granted. That is, were the events perhaps of some lesser level than those for which awards were gazetted on other dates?

Digging into my Tamplin and Abbott on British Gallantry Awards I see that the MC was to be awarded to officers for "distinguished and meritorious services". Then on 1 January 1917, orders were given to commanders in the field that the MC should as far as possible be restricted to fighting services (ie fighting personnel of brigades, divisions, corps and army troops, together with certain ancillary services associated in battle with those formations). A further notice was issued on 1 August 1918 that the MC should only be awarded for services in action.

Based on these points, is it fair to say that an MC awarded after 1 January 1917 was a result of the recipient's notable participation in action? If that is the case, was the quantity of awards gazetted on 3 June 1919 a reason for the absence of citations?

Chris

Chris: I have been able to find (in sources other than the London Gazette) citations/recommendations for quite a few awards of the DSO or MC to RA officers that were gazetted on 3 Jun 1919 and as New Year's Honors or Birthday Honors for years other than 1919 and they do not seem to be for any lesser degree of valor than the awards with citations published in the London Gazette. Therefore I tend to agree with the last hypothesis in your message, that the lack of citations were due to the large number of awards rather than the lesser degree of bravery. Dick Flory

Dick

Thanks for your response to my questions. I'll take up your approach and look at some other sources to see if I can unearth a citation or a least a mention of an event.

Chris

Dick, what other sources are you referring to? War Diaries are one that I have tried but there are perhaps others that I'm not aware of?

At the PRO in the library, they have all the London Gazettes for the War years and after held there. All they have in them is medal citations and awards as well as promotions. If you have the date, you can look them up there. I found a load of citations for the DCM which I had virtually given up on finding online.

Jerry: The sources for citations that are not in the London Gazette include school, college and university registers and rolls of honour and unit histories. For example: "The Roll of Honour and Roll of Service 1914-1919" of the University of St. Andrews contains numerous citations for the MC and DSO that are not in the London Gazette as does the" 29th Divisional Artillery War Record."

Regards. Dick