Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cologne Memorial - Pte John Codd 29400 DLI

Guest tommythetyke

Guest tommythetyke

I have recently found out that my great grandfather Pte John Codd DLI 29400, is remembered on the Cologne Memorial in the Cologne cemetry.

He is one of 25 uk servicemen remembered, whose bodies were never recovered, 19 captured by the Germans and 6 drowned after the armistice.

He was one of the 19 captured and lost, and for him personally, this occured between 22/8/18 and 22/11/18.

If anyone has pictures of the memorial or knows anything about the other men remembered on it, i would love to know more.

I am also totally in the dark about my great grandfathers switch in regiments. He enlisted in Barnsley and was originally in the Yorkshire regiment, number 31727.

He was killed as a member of the 2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Can anyone shed any light on when and how this switch would have come about, bearing in mind he didn't join up till 1916 at the earliest (he hasn't the star medal)

Anyone who can tell me anything about this man and his regiment pls reply, no matter how trivial you think the info may be.