Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sailors/Ships and Airmen

christine liava'a

Chris,

Would it be possible to have 2 new sections, or subsections, for

Sailors & ships, and Airmen?

There are 15 pages of entries containing the word "ship", but under various sections of the site, and it's a bit difficult to decide where to post something concerning a sailor? :huh:

Christine

Anything on the oiler Elax or the transport ship Port Adelaide?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have a particular interest in the RFC/RAF (family originated) and have accumulated quite a bit of info over the years which I am happy to share, and in researching Airmen, which is slightly different to soldiers. There is far info available for a start.

Ian

I'm up for the inclusion of the air-war on this forum.

I have been using a USA forum for the air-war in WWI after some pointers from some Baker's Pals, but there are some very strange postings there :blink:.

Lee,

Do you have problems with the aerodrome forum? I didn't notice anything special...

Jan

Anything on the oiler Elax or the transport ship Port Adelaide?

Christine,

Sorry, no Navy information on these ships. Were they Mercantile Marine?

Aye

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Malcolm,

Doing some research on shipping losses in Scottish waters, and wondered if you can suggest a source for u-boat operational records? Also, can you suggest any good books beside larne and larne, and patrick stephens' British Vessles lost at Sea 1914-18 and 1939-45?

Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

I have some books on British Naval vesels and some odd bits and pieces on other navies but no U Boat info. For U Boat info I have found

http://uboat.net/wwi/

of good content.

There is also a Naval History ring I have used in the past but I can't find the UL at present.

Aye

Malcolm

The oiler Elax appears to have sunk by a U- boat off Cape Matapan. The South African Maritime Museum however has a photograph of a tanker of the same name taken in 1927 and lists her as being scrapped in 1954.

Two possibilities arise: that the Elax was recovered and repaired or that this was a replacement vessel given the same name. The site is at: South African Maritime Museum

The photgraph does not appear on the website by the way.

Terry Reeves

I think the one in S. Africa is a later ship. It is also in Australia,in the 1930s , 40s and 50s. and on the Shell fleet list was built in 1927. Actually its probably a series of ships with the same name

The first one seems to have been built pre 1900 by Marcus Samuel

"1878 when Marcus Samuel (the son) began handling consignments of cased kerosene, then the top-selling fuel in the world. Then in 1890, on the way to a buying trip near Batum on the Black Sea, he noticed the harbor at Constantinople (now Istanbul) was jammed with tanker ships loading oil. He realized there was more money in oil than in sea shells, so he ordered construction of eight tankers."

"The first tanker was nearing completion at West Hartlespool. It was called the Murex--named for a type of seashell, as were all of Samuel's subsequent tankers. It was a memorial to the elder Marcus, the shell merchant. . . . By the end of 1893, Samuel had launched ten more ships, all of them named for seashells--the Conch, the Clam, the Elax, the Cowrie, and so on"

Marcus Samuel's oil importing company later became SHELL oil