Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Where is this tank?

David Seymour

It is a cracking picture.

All I know is that it is not Hawick.

julian_ontour.jpg

Thanks Derek. Hopefully someone will recognise it. It's a good picture of the tank and railway but the crucial distant background is not so clear.

Best wishes,

David

Apparently the person who donated the photo to the tank museum said that he believed the houses to be 'Scottish vernacular' architecture.

Does this help anyone to pin the place down?

Best wishes,

David

Thanks to the 315 views of this topic. Clearly many Pals have had a look and tried to locate the tank. Looks like we'll have to draw a blank on this one. I'll pass on the result to the museum.

Many thanks everyone,

David

David,

If the postcard was clearer then it may be possible to make out the markings on the steam engine. Steam buffs would then be able to tell you from which yard she was running.

Derek,

My guess is that it says 'C R' (with a coat of arms between the letters). That is Caledonian Railway.

However that does not help us with the location, as the engine would be used all over the system, including other railway companies' lines (espec in time of war).

The best chance of ID is as per Malcolm's post - ID the church. It might still exist. Any Glasgow pals want to wander around Springburn Sidings area?

Ian

Hello Chums,

I have three images of the tank Egbert in Doncaster. I will try and post them here later and notify the tank museum to see if there is any interest.

Ray7155

maybe dereks suggestion about enlarging the picture isnt such a bad idea,the train may not be a mainline engine,she may be a shunter,the train is pushing the rolling stock in this picture,not something you do on a main line,especially with the limited view the tanks giving,bernard

Benard

The possibilities are of course endless, but knowing the railway company will not help. The engine is 'main line' - no, not an express passenger engine but neither is it a shunter. It is goods/mixed traffic. It is either shunting the flat car with tank into the unloading bay or about to pull it out. It may run tender-first (not ideal for a tender engine) or it could pull out the car onto a main line and then run around it and recouple, to pull it to its next destination. It would not propel the car on the main line.

But none of that tells us where it is!

See the Tank Museum link, where they explain what is evident from the photo.

Ian