Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for info on 1/5 b'n Lincolnshire Regiment

Guest mikey

Hi,

I am trying to research the history of the 1/5 Battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment. So far I have obtained a copy of the regimental history, and the relevant volumes of 'Soldiers Died' and 'Officers Died' and have trawled the internet and military bookshops.

I am particularly trying to find a copy of the unit history (By its initial comanding officer Col Sandall) but would also like to be able to see/have access to any diaries (personal or official), letters or press clippings anyone has.

I am also trying to locate the descendants of Edwin Leaning (of Scunthorpe) and John William Leaning (of Silversides, just outside Brigg) who both served in the battalion and who both died in the attack on the Hohezollern Redoubt on 13 October 1915 and who may be distantly related to me.

If anyone has anything they can copy and send me, or better yet anything they can send me so that I can copy it using the office copier (the cheaper alternative!) could they please let me know. I will of course reimburse any expenses incurred.

Many thanks for your time in reading this,

regards,

Mike Leaning

Hi Mikey.

Coincedence, i myself have been researching the 1/5th lincs, and in particular the attack on Hohenzollern, as i research names on local memorials, including Brigg where i lived until last year, coincedentally on the next road to Silversides. I have info on John Leaning but am at work at moment, will find it tonight for you.

You should take a trip to look at the Battalion war Diary, most of the Lincs regiment diaries are held there, and appointments to view them can be made through the Museum of Lincolnshire Life (01522 528448). Scunthorpe Central library hold a copy of the battalion history, in the reference section. You could view it, or if you cover photocopy costs and live a distance from Scunthorpe i can arrange to get it phocopied for you. It contains some excellent officer group photos + individual pictures of several officers. I am not sure but you could prpbably get it via inter library loan service

mikey.

Checked my records for Brigg memorial, and whilst John Leaning of 1/5th Lincs is listed, there is also another Leaning listed - Fanthorpe Leaning; Pte 202332 of 1/5th Bn west Yorks Regt who was killed on 3rd Sept 1916, and is buried in Serre Road Cemetery No 1. A brief mention of the 1/5ths action that day is in Lyn MacDonald's, 'Somme' , pages 252 - 253. Of more interest to you possibly is that he is listed as the son of Ms Martha Pigott (formerly Leaning) of 10 St James Street, Brigg. Is this another relative of yours?

Regards

Chris

P.S: You could try the North Lincs phone directory as Leaning is still a familiar name in the Brigg/Scunthorpe area.

There is some material in the IWM's Dept of Documents as I have used it.

Go to www.iwmcollections.org.uk and select documents from the top right-hand drop-down box. Under Summary, type Lincolnshire Regiment. You'll get something!