Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bulgarian POWs

Bruce Dennis

Does anybody know where Bulgarian POWs would have been kept before being sent to their permanant camp? Or how to find out? My first troll through the National Archives produced nothing.

The time and place I am interested in is Macedonia early/mid 1917 and I am trying to find the source of some information gained in interrogation of two Bulgarian POWs who reported (incorrectly) U-boat activity in the port of Kavalla. I am working on the assumption that the POWs were interrogated soon after capture, possibly in a holding camp. Sorry, I don't have any other way of narrowing the search down.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 2 months later...
Does anybody know where Bulgarian POWs would have been kept before being sent to their permanant camp? Or how to find out? My first troll through the National Archives produced nothing.

The time and place I am interested in is Macedonia early/mid 1917 and I am trying to find the source of some information gained in interrogation of two Bulgarian POWs who reported (incorrectly) U-boat activity in the port of Kavalla. I am working on the assumption that the POWs were interrogated soon after capture, possibly in a holding camp. Sorry, I don't have any other way of narrowing the search down.

Any pointers gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

Bruce

I though I would take the liberty of bumping this back to the top. Does anybody have any ideas? I am still stumped.

Thanks,

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce,

Have you tried the NA on line index to FO 383. /252, /253, and /254 all have matters relating to the Balkans including in /254 "correspondence about lists of Bulgarian prisoners held in the United Kingdom" I have not got the full index for these sections so you may find more of interest.

Doug

Bruce,

Have you tried the NA on line index to FO 383. /252, /253, and /254 all have matters relating to the Balkans including in /254 "correspondence about lists of Bulgarian prisoners held in the United Kingdom" I have not got the full index for these sections so you may find more of interest.

Doug

Doug, Thanks, but despite the promising title they haven't (yet) produced anything that helps with my original, rather obscure, question. I will continue to wade through those documents every time I visit.

I appreciate the suggestion, but I am now nearly convinced that the records of how the prisoners were questioned were destroyed.

Regards,

Bruce