Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Black Watch

Simon Jones

Forgive my intrusion ... but on the general issue of 6th Black Watch ... I think a sizeable number of men from the Belfast area were members of this battalion? I know there were no TF units in Ireland so I wonder if the Belfast lads joined up with the Watch because of 1. Kilts. 2. The chance of a 'holiday' at annual camp in Scotland?

Des

Hello,

Only had an hour in the Library, so I did not get a chance to go through all the newspapers that I wanted to. I did find the group photo, which should appear attached. Both Pte Keddie and Nicholson appear in it.

Pte Keddie died in a British Field Ambulance, his death notice appeared in the Peoples Journal, on 21 Aug. 1915, page 8. On the same page was a list of Casualties of the 6th Black Watch, there was only one listed as ''Missing'', which read-

''Pte W. Nicholson, Crieff.''

I checked up until the end of October 1915 ,I ran out of time. there was no Family notice of his death, it probably appears later as it can take some time for information to be passed on as you will know.

The positive things are that we are still heading in the correct direction. we cannot rule Pte Nicholson out. Also, I found out that there had been, during this period, a Co-op bakers in East high Street, Crieff. {I do not yet know at what number}

All the best, hope to go to Perth sometime next week. Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Stewart

Since he died as a PoW his death would have to be reported through the Red Cross and this could take some time to work through the system as I have found in other similar circumstances.

Any chance of getting a larger scan version of this photo sent to me by e-mail? After studying the raid details from the German side it is fascinating to put a face on the man. This is what makes the forum so useful.

Ralph

Forgive my intrusion ... but on the general issue of 6th Black Watch ... I think a sizeable number of men from the Belfast area were members of this battalion? I know there were no TF units in Ireland so I wonder if the Belfast lads joined up with the Watch because of 1. Kilts. 2. The chance of a 'holiday' at annual camp in Scotland?

Des

Des,

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of Cultybraggan Camp!!! :huh:

In WW2 it was a German POW camp - how suitable.

Aye

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Found this little bit in the Strathearn Herald Aug. 26 1915-

''NO WORD OF CRIEFF MAN''

''Writing home on the 16th May, a Crieff member of the 6th Black Watch says ''........But Wullie is Missing. He may have been dazed by the explosion of the mine and wandered into the enemies line, only 15 yards off, and been made a prisoner; but we fear he was buried amoung the debris. No word or sign of him has yet been found''

I will keep looking to see if I can find a death notice.

All the best,

Stewart

Hello,

Found this little bit in the Strathearn Herald Aug. 26 1915-

''NO WORD OF CRIEFF MAN''

''Writing home on the 16th May, a Crieff member of the 6th Black Watch says ''........But Wullie is Missing. He may have been dazed by the explosion of the mine and wandered into the enemies line, only 15 yards off, and been made a prisoner; but we fear he was buried amoung the debris. No word or sign of him has yet been found''

I will keep looking to see if I can find a death notice.

All the best,

Stewart

Stewart

That's very interesting - the date 16th May must be wrong.

Many thanks

Simon

• 7 months later...
Just discovered SNWM is no longer searchable for - say - 01/07/1916.

What does SDITGW say for 08/08/1915 and 09/08/1915?

for 6th Black Watch.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcom if you need a date related enquiry from the SNWM I can oblige as I have the data nearly 140,000 entries in various formats, searching by date is an excellent tool to see who was in action on a particular day. John

• 1 month later...

Peoples Journal 15/04/1916

CRIEFF LAD DIES IN GERMANY

Mrs M'Orist, East High Street, Crieff, has received information from the War Office that her son, Private W. Nicholson M'Orist, 1/6th Black Watch, who was previously reported missing, is now reported to have died a prisoner of war in Germany on August 12th 1915. He was a baker to trade, and served his apprenticeship with Mr Alexander, Comrie Street, Crieff. He was 22 years of age.

regards,

Mark

Mark

Fantastic! That provides the link to show that the 'pastry chef' in Jack Sheldon's interrogation report is indeed Nicholson aka McCorist aka McOrist aka M'Orist.

Many thanks

Simon

• 12 years later...

Hi guys. My name is Margaret  and my mother was the daughter of Peter Nicholson the brother of

Pte, William McCorist Alias Nicholson. 

my grandfather was also a baker and worked in the co-op bakery. The address in Crieff was my great grandmother  flat and was reached  by an external stair.  Five years after William was killed Peter Nicholson was killed in the co-op bakery. He left a widow  and two daughters Margaret and Catharine. They lost a daughter to whooping cough at eleven months old.  These daughters went on to have children of there own. Now I have chidren, grandchildren and three great granchildren.

I would be interested in receiving  as much information on my great uncle. We only discovered his name a few years ago, as my mother showed me a photo and said that's my dad and his broth. Years after her eath, my sister in law gave me some papers she was clearing out after my brother died. Where i found a small bit of paper the had Williams service number 1727 , a letter to my mum for her 3 birthday i believe just before he died.mums birthday was the 12th of July. I also have photo of Wiliam  dressed as a pipper.