Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Brig. Gen. Frank Henry Burnell-Nugent DSO

bmac

Can anyone confirm that Brig. Gen. Frank Henry Burnell-Nugent DSO is a relative of the current Second Sea Lord Sir James Burnell-Nugent and, if so, what relation.

Ta.

Bill

I think that James Burnell-Nugent is the grandson of Frank Henry Burnell-Nugent.

Frank Henry Nugent was born in 1880 and for some reason that I don't know, he changed his name in 1905 to Burnell-Nugent. He died in 1942.

He had a son (whose name escapes me) who served in the Second War in the RN and I believe that this man is the father of James Burnell-Nugent.

I've read this on the web somewhere but can't for the life of me remember where !!

James Burnell-Nugent no longer occupies the post of Second Sea Lord. Following a period of leave and pre-post aquainting he takes up post, following promotion to full Admiral, as Commander-in-Chief FLEET on 15 November 05.

The General was definitely not the Admirals grand-father as his grand-father and father were both RN men.

See: http://www.navynews.co.uk/articles/2005/0506/0005061301.asp

Dave

Stephen

Good thinking. I stand corrected.

Dave

A Lt. Cdr. A. F. Burnell-Nugent, RN was distinguished by having two destroyers sunk under him in 1940 and 1941 (Havant bombed off Dunkirk and Jersey mined off Valetta). Wonder of this is the father?

Bill

I believe Frank Henry Burnell-Nugent (b 5th Sept 1880 Sherborne, Hamps) was the son of Albert Nugent (Italian?). He married Ellen Mary Coke Burnell the daughter of Thomas Coke Burnell of St Cross Grange, Winchester (Ellen's brother Captain Arthur Coke Burnell, Rifle Brigade was killed on 19th March 1916).

Frank Henry and Ellen had a son Anthony Frank Burnell-Nugent (b 1905 Winchester). He married a Jean (?) Mary Alexander and one of their children was James Michael Burnell-Nugent.

So I think that is in agreement with Stephen and the man mentioned by you would appear to be his father.

Regards

Pam

And did you know Frank Henry Burnell-Nugent played one game of county cricket for Hampshire in 1904. Didn't score a run!

• 10 years later...