Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

With reference to the top paper depicted in the last photo (which was added to wallet probably by Grandmother after her husband's death):

Do you think death is for free??

If you thought so, you are utterly wrong. The bill from bureaucracy for processing the testament is 7Mark, 10 Pfennig. No, even servicemen who die for their country are not protected from official piracy.

7,10Mark then was a lot of money for a young women with 2 little children and being a house maker solely

post-80-1131647412.jpg

Yes i will tell the story ; just wait for the appropriate trunk item which comes later :)

Egbert,

I can't wait for the tale to unfold! You are such a good story teller. :D

Steve

Egbert.

Have you had any ideas as to what the 3 D's on the cufflinks could stand for? One (or all) of them might be for 'Deutschland' although I did wonder if they might date back to his university days (did he go to university)?

Neil

I don't think these are "D"s; just some ornaments; I believe he had the equivalent of High School and than became a professional soldier in NCO corps

Is there more to come? You bet ya!

We want to surpass the 10000 hit mark, don't we?

Egbert

I realise that the account/bill for your grandfather's death has a lot of text and I am not asking you to translate it all but -

What are the items against the charges? Are they engraving charges?

Kate

It just states the different fees for opening of the testament; the value of the heritage is 1000Mark, which was only the value of used furniture, household goods etc; you see they were not rich at all - poor Grandson :(

The testament bill is dated 25 Nov 1918. My Grandmother was so naive and wanted to pay her "debt" to the state immediately - as a good citizen. She should have waited couple of more days: I just read her diary and it says that 28 Dec 1918 Polish hordes occupied the town and started their reign of terror against the women and children (their husbands were mostly dead {IR 49 mourned 108 officers and 4822 NCOs and men lost in the Great War, more casualties than such a town could bear}); and 15 Feb 1919 the women fled to the West with their children under some protection from remnants of IR 49... and the German province of Posen was history

P.S. Moral of the story: never pay the state debts on the spot! Always wait 6 weeks- who knows what happens?

Egbert, what a sad story. Your poor grandma. What a stuggle she must have endured.

so the Germans loved their children too... your trunk is the strongest argument I've seen for making sure it never happens again

wholeheartedly agree.

susan.

Nearly six thousand people looking over your shoulder into this trunk egbert. Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

I was waiting for someone more knowledgeable but here is what I suggest for that piece of light chain with the sraight bit.

It is not Catholic, I am and that is nothing I can recognise.

I suggest that if you look at the straight bit, it has taken on a shape that looks like a circle if you pinch the part near the ball with the base of the straight bit. I think it will create a circle which is the shape of the object it must have been wrapped around.

Now I suggest you measure the diameter of this circle and if it is the size of a monocle glass. Can you hold it in your eye? Then that is what it must have surrounded and there would be a piece, or a binding thread, missing which would hold the circle closed.

The light weight would support a monocle theory, I think the thing was you peered at someone through it then opened your eye and let it drop in a sort of appraising gesture. I remember very old plays where, particularly German officers, would do this. I do not think you had to necessarily need glasses to correct eyesight, it was a sort of affectation of the times like swagger sticks and moustaches.

Does anyone have a picture of a German Officer, or maybe The Kaiser wearing a monocle we could all examine?

I hope this was not some sort of caricature of a German officer, I am just guessing and trying to project into a time well before I was born. If I offend, I appologise in advance.

Regds Bill

Egbert,

I have been away from the forum for some time, due to health issues.

I managed to come to this site on this special day.........and I found your thread.

Thank You so very much for sharing your grandfather's trunk with us. It brought home to me that so many of these men who never returned home had wives and children, and lives.

My great grandfather was KIA in 1917, leaving a widow and two children.

The child's shoe really touched my heart.

Thank You again.

Shelley

I am having a thought for your grandfather today, Egbert, on the day he was severely injured.

Gwyn

Happy hols egbert, we all await further revelations when you return refreshed

so the Germans loved their children too... your trunk is the strongest argument I've seen for making sure it never happens again

I think so Dave, this German family loved each other very much.

I am having a thought for your grandfather today, Egbert, on the day he was severely injured.

Gwyn

Monday, 14th November 1914: Granddad was seriously wounded at Chateau Herenthage/Gheluvelt and was transported back home; he recovered until mid 1917

Thanks for remembering Gwyn!

Ok -I think its time to continue with the revelations of the secrets.

This is an interesting one: another watch but completely destroyed, most likely by the shell splinter that killed Grandfather. It is a Swiss watch from Geneve

post-80-1132010502.jpg

And this is the hit: when I turned the watch face, I was amazed to realize an etching in order to identify the owner of the watch. The etching dates back to pre war, because the printed rank of Unteroffizier was held by Grandfather ca 1912, definitely pre war! Also the unit membership is depicted: 10. Kompanie , Infanterieregiment 49

post-80-1132011047.jpg

Good to see you back Egbert! I can't wait for more stories!

Steve

Egbert

Theres nothing I can say that hasnt been said already, but I cant keep silnet any more!! This is absolutely INCREDIBLE. I became really emotional when I was handed the Compass, so I cant imagine what Grandad's trunk must make you feel like? Just incredible.

I was in a small village called Panrod (an hour north of Frankfurt) last week and paid my respects to their Memorial and graves but this brings it home in a massive way how the soldiers from Germany, France, Belgium, Britain (etc) were all humans who though the same things and were basically decent human beings.

I bow my head to you and your Grandfather Sir. An incredible collection that I think its safe to say we're all unbelievably proud to be sharing with you. Beautiful and moving stuff :(

More amazing revelations and the story comes out piece by piece.

Have you ever thought of doing a book on this trunk egbert? The things it can tell........