Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Wish I had such a box of my grandfather, Egbert.

There's nothing like this.

But I was lucky to find him alive and to have so many good talks with him for several years.

Malte

Malte there is something better than that: no trunk, no chest can ever substitute "so many good talks" with one's Granddad!

still having problems with the old messages, never mind - probably should be in bed anyway.(sad old devil).

perhaps a whistle chain (or too flimsy?) i like the idea of a key chain best.

susan.

A key chain - makes sense for the clip end but you'd loose all keys by the other end with the tiny knob, don't you think so?

post-80-1131417087.jpg

Egbert,

I'd go with the watch chain theory, it seems too fragile for keys. That's my in-put anyway.

Steve

Does it somehow attach to the other pieces of jewellery to turn them into necklaces? I too thought a fob chain till I saw how fine it is. How lucky you are to have all these things, I have nothing, only a photo and Grandad died when I was almost four years old.

Regards

Christina

Indeed,

I believe this could well be the chain used to tie your pocket watch to part of your granddad's army tunic.

Not being an expert in jewelry, tis but a guess on my behalf.

Thank you ALL for responding and best guessing!

But i am definitely not convinced that the piece in question is a pocket watch chain. It is way too small, fragile and too short in length; please compare also

with this next secret piece of Granddads trunk - a pocket watch chain; now that must convince you all that we have to look for something else in order to lift the secret of the undefined chain.

a pocket watch chain sent back to Grandmother after Gottfried's death (watch to follow later); amazing how honest his comrades have been by sending all the pieces back to Grandmother some 2000km far away:

post-80-1131444827.jpg

Is the mystery chain small enough to fit a child's wrist?

Kate

Maybe one of a pair ? Maybe something to do with glasses ?

Sorry Egbert the best i can come up with.

Roland.

No Kate unfortunately too small; the idea though has charme! But it will not fit

First, I have to say that some of your posts cause a lot of coughing and snuffling. Must be dust in the eyes or something. Second, as regards the chain. Ladies also wore fob watches. Could it be a chain for a ladies watch?

This thread gets better and better. I thought the chain was a watch or glasses chain until I saw the size of it compared to a hand; far too small...

Could it be something from say, the christening of a child ( like the present idea of a silver bracelet, or something silver). A memento of one of your most loved ones, the sort of thing a man might take to war to remind him of home....

Could it be something from say, the christening of a child ( like the present idea of a silver bracelet, or something silver)

That's what I thought. My Catholic Italian mother-in-law gave my son a very very small gold chain to "hold" but not wear at his Catholic christening. I'm not Catholic (nor Italian!) so don't know the relevance but it is a very small chain and certainly not something my son will ever be able to wear.

Kate

Somehow I missed this thread as it started out ... what a wonderful story. This is a true example of what this forum really is.

I rememer working on the picture of your grandfather and his face coming alive in the pixels ...

Thank you. More than anything else, you can enjoy the fact that you have honored his memory and kept him alive all these years ...

I'm with Andy above. I've only just got round to reading the thread throughout and I am absolutely enthralled. You have a wonderful collection of items and I thank you for showing them to us.

The child's shoe in the box really brings home the tragedy of this war for your relative and so many others. A truly moving object.

Thanks Egbert.

Egbert,

There is a chain visible in the miniature photo of your grandad - looks like what you describe as the pocket watch chain. (Not the fine/small chain of course, the use for that I cannot guess).

Thanks for the splendid exposition - items to handle, treasure and savour, knowing that your grandfather held them too, and must have been precious to him.

Ian

Wow , first of all thank you ALL for the massive responses; any logical idea is welcomed! Also welcome to the "newcomers" ;) who joined the thread.

Believe me I continue only because of your overwhelming support. That's what drives me, and despite personal fear that i might go too far with privacy revelations - now I see it more through a "mission" glass, to give an almost forgotten warrior of the great war a chance - at least for some days - the possibility to break out and tell the public that ALL soldiers friend and foe had a private life that was catastrophical destroyed. This is the story of Granddads trunk in lieu of all the soldiers who serve now in the Great Army together!!!

You all made some valid points regarding the mystery chain, but there is one big thing that does not fit with all your/mine theories: you cannot close the whatever it is, there is just a knob and that's it! There is no connection to the other end possible. Everything you would attach to the mystery would definitely fall out. I thought tonight of kind of device to hold flowers or a bloom tight to uniform/suit - but I am not convinced any more when i compared it to the picture showing Granddad and G'mother on their wedding day, my Grandfather wore a flower attached to uniform - but no sign of a mystery chain

This story is worthy of a book or a TV documentary, I was keeping it together until I saw the tiny shoe which is so very poignant

I dont think the chains belong together and may have been added together at a later date for sentimental reasons.

I think I have seen these thin chains before and I think they were used to attach things to the button hole of a jacket. I think that the ball end goes through the oop like a lasoo and the ball is fixed by fitting similar to those used on modern day dog tags. I think they may has been used for small watches, lockets or medallions like St Christophers

I am probably wrong (I ussually am) but I am sure I have seen these on old pictures.

Egbert.

A lovely thread Egbert - the tiny shoe was extremely moving.

Could the mask have been a 'Father Christmas' mask? Would he have existed in German culture at the time?

Thank you again for sharing all of this with us.

Neil

Good point Neil - that fits, Granddad rejoined the fighting forces in November 1917 - and yes it looks something like the "Weihnachtsmann" (Father Christmas)

Egbert,

Is the "solid" piece of the tiny chain rigid or is it flexible. It looks remarkably "ear shaped" - perhaps it fitted over the ear with whatever was attached to is - something like a monacle?

I do like the suggestion that the small bobble went through a hole in a gentleman's jacket.

It may then have been attached to either a small watch, token or medal of some kind that slipped into a top pocket. I wonder if there is enough length of chain (in total) to be able to fuction as an eye glass chain and be long enough to drop into a top pocket. I have seen "them" in old movies where they pull these spy glasses out of their pockets. Perhaps I am being over dramatic!!! Just a guess....

Whatever its use, it is a wonderful thing - as are all of your treasures.

Thank you again

Off downstairs now to prepare for "Tommy" on TV tonight in England.

Susan.