Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Excerpt from his last wish to his two 3 year and 1 year old sons:

difficult to translate to English and catch the right emotional words. Also the thinking and expressions from those time needs to be considered!!!

My dear sons!

You hardly did not know me (You almost did not know me), but your good mother will often tell you about how much I loved you. You have been my pride.

I wish you so much luck/fortune for your path of life, be always ambitious but decent and never leave your good mother.

Who will leave your mother in hardship, is not worth that the sun will shine on him.

My last wish is that you two learn a good profession and that you honor our family name.

Farewell my dearest sons.

Your father

I understand that I am walking on a thin line with respect to breaching someone's privacy[/color]

Edited by egbert

i echo everyone else's comments - truly beautiful stuff egbert.

i cannot find any more words.

truly amazing.

THANK YOU.

susan.

This crosses the divide of war Egbert, truly a social history gem!! I keep all i have from my family( Im a hoarder) and i consider i am privilidged that I have been given it, and as a guardian I will keep it safe, as you obviously do, all that i have, I treasure, as you say they are sacrosanct!

Egbert,

You've made a normally tough and reserved person shed a few tears with that last excerpt from your Grandfather's letter.

This post has had the power to move me in many ways.

Thanks for taking the time to share all the priceless artifacts from all the trunks.

Steve

P.S. Well done the messenger dog for guarding this piece of history!

Yes indeed sometimes very moving what these things express! Thank you ALL for reading and participating.

Now - before I go on with lots of more secrets, there is one piece of jewelry which I do not understand what it is used for; some few jewelry may be mixed later with stuff from Grandmother, so it is not clear whether this particular piece comes from G'dad or G'mother; generally it is all low value, cheap stuff. So here is my question: what is this? Ladies to the front!!! or is it Gentlemen stuff?

Scale is in centimeters!

post-80-1131369890.jpg

C'mon there must be an explanation! What is above depicted piece of jewelry good for????

Addendum to above mentioned testament, here is the fatal sentence:

"Only to be mailed after death of sender"

post-80-1131384673.jpg

Egbert,

My guess would be some type of pocket watch fob.....but it's just a guess. I am enjoying all your treasures.

Thanks a bunch.

Ann

C'mon there must be an explanation! What is above depicted piece of jewelry good for????

Is the interest fading away?

With so many hits somebody should have a clue what this piece is good for! Ann, it seems to be too fragile for a pocket watch chain or so :huh:

How amazing - yet another treasure.

It does look like part of a pocket watch chain but then again if its too fragile

what about an attachment for a pair of pinc nez (sorry probably spelt this wrong - GLASSES) or a single monacle? (but maybe they (or it) would have been too heavy in those days (ie not plastic, but made of glass) ??

just a guess egbert.

keep it coming .......................

Susan.

sorry about the triple posting. my system is playing up tonight. been booted out and running slow. if i delete one post it deletes all. so rather than not reply ................. sorry.

wow, how beautiful. (the little locket with Gottried's picture within)

it is a lovely picture of him.

Yes.

But the clip is very sturdy and seems as though it should clip through a ring - like on a dog lead. (But it wouldn't do for the Messenger Dog - obviously).

Or tiny keys for a very tiny chest that is inside the other chest.

I wonder if the ball part had something else attached or went through a hole. I am thinking - like small spectacles or even a lorgnette.

Or what about - used to have a notebook attached like waitresses carried hanging down from their waists ready to take orders.

Kate

Whilst I was posting. Egbert added wonderful new pictures of the locket.

Susan

My post has been duplicated without me posting twice and similarly if I delete 1 it deletes them both.

Kate

Hm Kate, Susan and Ann........

Maybe we should ask our mothers and grandmothers -if they are still with us - timewise they might have the closest relation to such an old unidentified piece???!!!

I will jump over my own shadow and ask my wife to contact mother-in-law :o no wait - better idea -I should send the messenger dog............

Susan

I was able to delete 1 of my duplicate postings just now so perhaps it has all settled down.

Egbert

The jewellery is lovely and I specially like the locket.

But - we will not rest until we know what the unidentified item.

Kate

Wish I had such a box of my grandfather, Egbert.

There's nothing like this.

All I have of him is his military pass, 2 photos and a postcard with an adress on backside.

But I was lucky to find him alive and to have so many good talks with him for several years.

Great work, Egbert. Go on please.

Malte