Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Egbert,

What fascinating artifacts! It's almost as if they were just written yesterday!.

Steve

Yes indeed Steve!

I will go and have a close up picture made from the 08 glasses for (the other Steve (yellow); they seem to be never painted in (olive drab)green, looking as if grey since manufactured; stand by

And again thanx to ALL of you for your activ participation here :)

Steve (yellow): i can't help it they look pretty field grey; no traces of green; could it be that later batches were adopted to field grey, the dominating color scheme of the Army

post-80-1131211017.jpg

since such glasses were pretty much of value in those days, I'd think the owners took good care of them. I bet this is combat damage....

post-80-1131211052.jpg

Now -in anticipation of some encouragements to continue doing all the camera- and scan stuff, I will now post the first really personal artifact:

Obviously Granddad had space available to carry a baby shoe of his son, my father, with him into the war zone.

I would suggest the baby shoe is from a 2 year old. My father was 3 years old when Granddad was killed. In all his field letters he was so proud of his son; I had the chance to read the testament exclusively written for his 2 sons "only to be opened when i am killed"= I can tell you it is a heartbreaking text with apologies of being killed and not available to see them grow up; and emotional advices to the sons and future generation to survive in life and how to take care for mother when they are grown!!!!

Ok, was this his mascot in times of separation from family? It is just one single shoe:

post-80-1131232545.jpg

Egbert, this is almost unbearable.

As I said before ... your grandmother.....

An emotional Gwyn

Well this is something interesting- an interesting by product: there is this ugly oil on canvas from 1918 which shows my father (Granddads then 3 year old son). Nobody wants to hang it up , but it was always kept in good storage by me. A lot of my family members said "throw this ugly piece in the trash" - an inner voice said and will say in the future NO.

You see a picture, painted in Grandparents home about 1918. Do you see the shoes??? :) Shoes were very expensive in those days -these are most likely the "successors" of the mascot taken onto the battlegrounds.

Again the painting is ugly and of low value -but high emotional value to me :)

post-80-1131235406.jpg

Egbert

I think you have to show us the whole of this picture of your father.

It doesn't matter if people didn't think it was a good painting.

Is it too big to scan or photograph?

Kate

My wish is your command. Thank you.

I think it is a charming painting.

Edited by sandyford

What a great gift to give his sons. So many sons only had a medal or letters to their mothers. A letter full of love and advice must have been treasured when they were old enough to understand.

The picture is probably better than a photo as it is in colour. I'd hang it up just for it's sentimental value if nothing else.

Cheers

Kim

Egbert

I can keep quiet no longer. You are an incredible story-teller, and what a fascinating story you have to tell!

It was your father's shoe that finally pulled me from the role of 'silent follower'.

It is, as busybee said, heartbreaking.

The shoe was probably from his first pair - your grandmother probably kept the other amongst her treasured possessions. Each time your grandfather held it, looked at it - he probably had memories of your father's first steps in life - and how sad he must have felt at the thought that he may never see him walk to school, run his first race, kick a ball or dance at his wedding!

Such a poignant memento to have, so far from home & loved ones - such comfort - yet such sadness.

By the way - I don't think the painting is ugly - it's a beautiful image of a poor little boy who grew up without knowing his father - I'm so glad you kept it & that you cherish it the way you do.

Thank you for bringing these treasures into our lives,

Frev.

Egbert,

I can only endorse the comments of others. Thank you so much for sharing these treasures with us; as Kate said earlier, truly evocative.

Nige

Egbert,

The portrait is beautiful, the colours are fantastic and the subject so moving.

Thanks again for sharing all these treasures with us.

Mandy

Egbert,

this has been an amazing thread and I do hope you will continue to stun us into silences by releasing more wonderful pieces of information and artefacts from "the Chest".

How, if not too bold a question, did you end up living in the US? I mean, is it for your job or did your family emigrate there after WW1?

I look forward to learning more about your granddad.

Tim

Egbert,

this has been an amazing thread and I do hope you will continue to stun us into silences by releasing more wonderful pieces of information and artefacts from "the Chest".

Tim

Egbert,

Tim has got it right just there, "stun us into silences"- I can think of no better words to describe what happens when we view these treasures you are sharing with us. An amazing thread, and thank you

The shoe was probably from his first pair - your grandmother probably kept the other amongst her treasured possessions.  Each time your grandfather held it, looked at it - he probably had memories of your father's first steps in life - Frev.

I have never thought of that!!! Yes frev, that might be the clue - why is there only 1 single shoe; that gives the story sense = it's the bond with Grandmother and son -something physical in his hands on the spot whenever he wants

Thank you ALL for your comments, maybe somebody can read all this up there in the "Great Army" and conveys to his buddies: "we are not forgotten"!

They know they are not forgotten and are with us regularly watching over us.

I know some of you don't believe and I do not have a problem with that, I have regular visitors especially when I am on the forum. They love it too.

Mandy

Egbert

I love the nails round the sole of your father's shoe. They are very robust and would probably have been repaired on one of those 3 sized cobblers lasts.

I have got one of those lasts in my house - even though repairing shoes is hardly ever done now. Just stick on soles.

Kate

Obviously his son proudly sent him a self made mask made out of glassine paper (paper was very rare to get); he kept it as a memory from far away (do you recognize the folding pattern from being sent by fieldletter post/mail?)

I am very sure that this mask has been totally unfolded for picturetaking this Sunday first time since tons of years - it even smells damn old

post-80-1131305139.jpg

Edited by egbert

Oh Egbert.

Did you ever talk to your father about the contents of the trunk and his memories of any of them?

Gwyn

Oh Egbert.

Did you ever talk to your father about the contents of the trunk and his memories of any of them?

Gwyn

Unfortunately NO , Gwyn

I have to bring the pieces together by myself; I just try to remember something from Grandma's time; other than that I have to rely on crosschecking with fieldletters and other documents;

the only more clear picture I do have concerning my father's sayings is about the grave and his research he managed to conduct when he was a young Lieutenant in the Air Defense business invading Belgium and France. He visited the place 1940, talked very nicely with the old lady, who owned the ferme where Granddad was killed; she confirmed a single grave later being relocated; (I have some pictures from 1940) other than that my father was quiet.