Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Very Moving Egbert. I mentioned it on a number of Liverpool forums and the response so far by those who saw it is fantastic. I will save all the comments and email you them.

Thanks for pointing me to the website. Sadly I could not watch the episode and I will only be back to Europe on Dec 2nd. No sat receive here in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.-No BBC here and it is blocked. Ant please collect all available information for me.

Great work Egbert,

You were the last and best feature of the program.

They had you reading the letter from the envelope with the IR49 seal on the back.

This time introducing the harmonica and the photo's in the map grid.

You came over as a great statesman, very calm and cool.

I think Fiona was truly shocked when you told her that front line soldiers had to send food parcels back home.

As you can see you got 4.48 minutes - and worthy stuff indeed.

Anyway here is just a screen shot. ( It does not Play )

post-103138-0-49676900-1415211951_thumb.

Although foreseen that the publisher, BBC books, presents me a copy of the book they were obviously not able to do so.

I am very grateful that the author Paul Atterbury saved the day. Today I received his presentation copy.

attachicon.gifPresentation copy - Kopie.jpg

does this picture look familiar?

attachicon.gifInnenseite - Kopie.jpg

I too was sent a book! I wasn't expecting to get one but I am so glad I have your story in print.

My last contact with the outside world before continuing the Atlantic crossing: thank you all very much for your feed-back, it gives me a glimpse of the UK BBC 1 watchers how they felt the interview came over. The suspense cannot be greater until I have a chance to view the series in December.

Egbert,

I have only just discovered your thread in the Classics. Unfortunately I missed both episodes of Antiques Roadshow, but anyway it has been wonderful following Grandfathers Chest. All the other people who have posted have used up all the things that I wished to say!

Superb!

Regards

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Returning from a long voyage more news about Grandfather.

At the occasion of Remembrance Day 2014 I was invited as a guest speaker in a British Remembrance Day service. I had a day to think about what I should talk about and yes you are right I chose Grandfather's message and a further lead over to address the some 600 mainly British but also Canadian and Australian attendees.

A friend videotaped the speech with his I-Phone, thus the quality.

If you are interested please watch this:

Well done, Egbert. I really liked how you linked your grandfather, your family and the families of the two Englishmen. The letters, of course, are very powerful statements for humanity.

Thank you for sharing.

Jonathan

Thank you Egbert, I have also only just managed to view the Antiques Roadshow episode. and this morning the link to the Remembrance Day.

That was a simple, yet incredibly powerful message: 3 families touched forever, words of a father to his son, and his great grandson shares those with us and we remember them.

Never Forgotten

Shirley

I just found today Friday, December 5, 2014 this thread that was started about 10 years ago. I have been a member for several years and clearly like everyone else feel intimidated by the sheer quantities and qualities of the posts to the GWF. However by focusing on a single real human being's all too short life and his fortuitous front line life with directly related richly diverse service and related personal and family artifacts you as so many previous posters to this thread have correctly pointed out cast a huge light on the individual tragedy of this conflict and more importantly how it affects those other family members who did not serve in the armed forces. I congratulate you like so many others again on all your efforts and fine photography skills as well and your continuing seeking to educate anyone interested in this conflict and above all its impact on people. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

John

• 1 month later...

Egbert

Did the BBC send you a copy of the book that they published with 6 pages relating to your appearances?

Keith

post-21979-0-78602700-1422547598_thumb.jpost-21979-0-26952900-1422547614_thumb.j

Whoops - I hadn't been following the more recent posts.

Keith

Egbert, it is Sunday night in Perth and we have the Antiques Roadshow, and it is you! Just telling the grandkids I know you, oh the delight of the forum. Truly you are now world famous, your grandad would like this I think

Cheers

Shirley

We had been at Thiepval last October, and my granddaughter was with her school battlefield tour, so it was very meaningful seeing the programme.

I did not know they air the program in Australia. Well, glad you liked and enjoyed it! Maybe the Australian BBC equivalent invites me to present the other 99% of artifacts that have not been presented yet? :hypocrite:

Egbert, during the filming, do you remember the Australian ladies we spoke to? They said it would be shown in Australia in around 2 years time.

PS If they invite you over then can I carry the trunk.