Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Thanks for the link to the great pictures. Sure hope our PBS station continues to air the programs here.

Ann

• 3 weeks later...

This 1912 wedding day photo intrigued me to further research the religious aspect revealed in the trunk. Well, today I found in the wedding registry, which is stored in the trunk, that the wedding took place in the Lutheran (Evangelisch) garrison church of Gnesen. But there are only Catholic churches today in town.....

post-80-0-22012800-1377427013_thumb.jpg

A good friend was in Gnesen this week and found out, that the old garrison church was rededicated catholic when the Poles took the German province of Posen. It is still there and just a 2 minute walk away from Grandfathers housing across the infantry kaserne. So here is the church where the wedding celebration took place in 1912, as well as the christening of Gottfried's son, my father, in 1915.

post-80-0-43207700-1377427605_thumb.jpg

This is the original 1912 seal of the garrison military parish office and signed by the military Protestant pastor then.

post-80-0-53154800-1377427964_thumb.jpg

Through this gate, they once entered the church for their wedding- (and babtism) ceremonies 101 years ago.

I guess before Infanterieregiment 49 left the garrison in 1914 to invade Belgium they got their blessings there as well....

post-80-0-00169700-1377428194_thumb.jpg

I have read his topic from the beginning. Egbert, I must thank you so very much for sharing this story with us. I find it truly amazing.

Marvellous story Egbert. Thank you for sharing it.

Absolutely amazing! This makes me wonder what other wonderful secrets you are going to reveal in the future.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing find by comparing actual, THEN and google pictures.

I own a photo of Grandfather, Grandmother and son from ca 1917 in Gnesen, garrison town, strolling alongside of an unknown building. I could never trace the location of the photo back, how should i?

post-80-0-64444000-1378899537_thumb.jpg

Now I discovered the building at the very southend of the Infanteriekaserne 49 compound which is a college today. In 1917 it was most likely the regimental HQ. See by yourself, compare the pattern and details

post-80-0-31428000-1378899756_thumb.jpg

...post-80-0-15120600-1378899859_thumb.jpg

What a thread. Haven't been reading it for a while, have some catching up to do.

Roel

Amazing find by comparing actual, THEN and google pictures.

I own a photo of Grandfather, Grandmother and son from ca 1917 in Gnesen, garrison town, strolling alongside of an unknown building. I could never trace the location of the photo back, how should i?

attachicon.gifGnesen ca 1917 Großvater-mutter, Günther - Kopie.jpg

Egbert, this photo of your grandfather, you look so much like him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Egbert

I have only just found your thread and it took me several hours to read it and I must say with growing interest. I almost feel that I know you, your father and your grandfather after becoming immersed in your family's history. To have the things you have is fantastic, and I know you will say you would have preferred to have known your grandfather, but you also have these things forever.

My grandfather was in the Royal Field Artillery and survived the war along with his two brothers but I never knew him, and have only now and with thanks to forum members are beginning to learn more about him than I ever knew before.

Many thanks for sharing all of this with us and I look forward to hearing further on this thread and other threads I know you are active on. Regards. Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I have only just bumped into this fantastic thread and thank Egbert (and all others) very much for sharing this wonderful trunk.

Thank you, all.

A great read, I've read the first and the last few pages (time, you know..) but will sit down some time soon to soak up this great story. Really, it does seem worth a book, doesn't it?

I've reserved two dates next year already, for the episode's op the AR show. :poppy:

• 2 weeks later...

Any idea when this might be shown?

The BBC just contacted me. It will be shown in two parts, one in April the other in November 2014. They are in the process to edit and cut both broadcasts and add Fiona's commentary.

The BBC just contacted me. It will be shown in two parts, one in April the other in November 2014. They are in the process to edit and cut both broadcasts and add Fiona's commentary.

Fabulous, and Fiona is a great presenter. Can't wait!

Tom.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Pegler family from Orchard Farm has posted a series of photos from the BBC filming at Thiepval on Facebook

Paul Atterbury will also publish an accompanying book about the stories as well.

Very well, just finished my text contribution for Paul Atterbury's book that accompanies the A&R documentary in 2014 (I guess I am not encouraged to post an abstract.....).