Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Well.

The 'clip' end must have fastened to a link or loop of some sort.

The end with the bead on it is the strange part.

It reminds me of the sort of fastening which used to be on those pens at the bank. The bead allowing the pen to turn at any angle.

I wonder if there was one of those very small silver propelling pencils on one end and the clip was to attach it to a handbag -

- Perhaps like for a dance programme. Although I have to confess that I have never seen one of these, because we didn't use them at the discos down our way.

Does that bead seem to have had anything broken off?

Kate

Egbert,

Is the "solid" piece of the tiny chain rigid or is it flexible. 

Susan.

Flexible, but don't bend it too often, it will brake due to its fragility

Egbert.

The fine chain looks not unlike the pince-nez chains you can see on this link.

What do you think?

Neil

This is interesting Neil, but after i post again the chain together with a true watch chain, a pen and a pair of glasses for siize wising....I am still undecided!

Kate, yes the knob distracts me.....

gunboat has a promising approach "to attach things to the button hole of a jacket"" don't you all think?

Where are your Grandmothers? Please ask them!

post-80-1131491301.jpg

I thought this morning, maybe it's a flower holder like see this excerpt from wedding picture 1912; but now i am not sure anymore

post-80-1131492014.jpg

If your grandmother kept it, then surely it has a sentimental value for her. Flower holder from her wedding day would fit. Or perhaps the pince nez chain - certainly looks similar to Neils' photo. Did Gottfried wear spectacles, Egbert?

Marina

Nope, he did not wear glasses!

Anyway lets continue investigating on the mystery chain.

But the secrets cry for further revelations. Granddad wants to present his cuff-links. Always be aware that this stuff could easily be stolen after his death or the return of items simply neglected in this raging hell. But his Kompanie did a hell of a great job. Here is the box for the cuff-links; it shows the name and location of the jewelry store in the peacetime garrison town of Gnesen, province Posen

post-80-1131493372.jpg

It happened today, that somebody translated the explaining Suetterlin text on the reverse side of a certain picture. This picture is the last taken picture of Granddad, 27.1.1918, and was discussed on this forum if you click here. The picture is totally faded, nothing really recognizable, and I called Granddad later in this archived thread "The Ghost from Bois de Nieppe". I could not read the text then and was just trying to capture the situation.

Now here is the original text my Grandfather wrote on the reverse side of the picture:

"Roubaix, d.27.I.18.

My dearest back home this is me as a twilight (dawn) phantom, hope that there is also dawn of peace soon.

Thinking always of you, your father

I like these sudden coincidents, don't you?

post-80-1131494878.jpg

I followed the thread where Andy & Lauren & Malcolm & Kristoff & others worked on that picture. It was marvellous seeing your grandfather gradually becoming clearer - and then Soren's picture.

The comparative shots of your grandfather as the war progressed were very thought provoking.

And this thread has made him even clearer.

Kate

P.S. I meant a very small pencil indeed (probably about 4cm in length and less than 1cm in diameter).

Not a chunky pen like the one in your picture.

Looks like the smallest of those optician or watchmakers screwdrivers.

But I am also favouring Neil's pince-nez picture.

oh egbert, how wonderful. that picture. i missed the original thread (probably before "my time") - the picture made me have all goosebumps. Grandfather seems to be stepping out of the mist. And the words on the back so simple, but mean so much..................

Can we still see the thread and Soren's picture? I should image he (Soren) made a very good job of it (an excellent artist if ever there was one).

Susan.

(ps do favour the pince-nez chain - great finding by Neil)

Guest CoriHoloien

wow, this is sucj a great story. i joined just to say how much i love it. The letter that told not to open it till your grandfathers death was so touching. I so wish i had something like this.

cori

Egbert.

Although it is not always possible to tell from a picture, and I am certainly no expert on these things, the items all appear to be very high quality. That is why I asked my earlier question about his rank - I thought he would have been a high ranking officer.

Are the items of very high quality and was your grandfather quite a wealthy man?

Neil

Egbert.

I read somewhere last night that men often wore pince-nez attached to their ear. Looking at your last picture, showing the comparison with reading glasses, the right hand portion looks like it might fit around a small ear.

The clip on the left hand end looks quite similar to the clip on the picture of a modern pince-nez from this website - although the angle makes it hard to be absolutely certain?

The fact that he didn't wear glasses is certainly a bit of a stumbling block though - might he have done so in the later stages of the war?

We need someone in the jewellry business to have a look at this.

Neil

I'd never seen the original thread, it's as emotional as this one. Well done to the posters who worked on it.

I also favour Neil's pince nez chain idea, the item does look like a version of the chain he has found for sale.

The cuff links are almost new looking they are quite distinctive and would probably not look a out of place today. What a veritable treasure chest this is turning out to be, egbert,

the possibility to break out and tell the public that ALL soldiers friend and foe had a private life that was catastrophical destroyed. This is the story of Granddads trunk in lieu of all the soldiers who serve now in the Great Army together!!!

I think you have achieved this in the best way that I can think of.

Brilliant thread. Very moving.

I too favour the theory about a monicle (sp?)

You have to remember that officers were often stuck in dimly lit dugouts with candle stumps as the only means of light. The strain on the eye's whilst studying maps must have been great and an eye-piece would have aleviated this.

Thank you ALL for posting here and be a part of the mystery relevation; thanx also for your comments -I appreciate

Yes indeed the links lead to something like these pince nez. There is no trace left of him wearing glasses, but who knows, yes perhaps for reading purposes so thanx for this hint for Neil, susan, marina (oh god hope I did not forget someone);

In answering the other questions;

His rank was Offizierstellvertreter; today you would possibly address this rank as Warrant Officer;

Wealthy: I wish he were; when he died, there was no money to feed Grandmother and the two children. G'mother educated and raised the children in poverty; the only income source was sewing cloth, repairing clothes etc, not much to live; later when the 2 sons were adults and had their own salary they supported her with their money until G'mothers death; exactly according to Grandfathers will explained earlier in this thread!!!

So she took the burden of raising the kids without father - she COULD NOT go to work!!!

P.S. I remember very well that my father paid her a steady sum of monetary support until her death in 1975ish.

and

the cuff-links looked terrible, i cleaned them for this thread

perhaps a gift from a lady friend?

Rob

Egbert

Following my earlier comments I recalled that the Austrian army had Tiny lockets which used to contain ID papers instead of dog tags. I am sure they were attached to a button-hole in the uniform and kept in a pocket. Whilst I dont think the chain was for that purpose perhaps this reflected the fashion of the time to have things displayed from a button-hole.

Probably clutching at straws but it is possible

The diminishing interest in the other, general jewelry -sent back from the front- leads me to the conclusion to post the last piece of shimmering stuff here:

post-80-1131571452.jpg

Egbert,

So the messenger dog was there as well!

I'm intrigued by one thing you mentioned earlier? You said that your father had tried to carry out some research in 1940? What was that?

Steve

Egbert,

So the messenger dog was there as well!

I'm intrigued by one thing you mentioned earlier? You said that your father had tried to carry out some research in 1940? What was that?

Steve

Yes i will tell the story ; just wait for the appropriate trunk item which comes later :)

Egbert.

Have you had any ideas as to what the 3 D's on the cufflinks could stand for? One (or all) of them might be for 'Deutschland' although I did wonder if they might date back to his university days (did he go to university)?

Neil

Egbert.

I read somewhere last night that men often wore pince-nez attached to their ear.

The fact that he didn't wear glasses is certainly a bit of a stumbling block though - might he have done so in the later stages of the war?

Neil

If he didn`t wear glasses, then monocle seems to fit the bill. I believe that they were worn primarily for effect and not as an aid to vision? Eric von Stroheim knew the technique! Phil B