Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Not read your thread for a while Egbert, it's been great catching up (absolutely love the wedding photo).

Fantastic to hear it's going to be on TV too, can't wait!

..........and he's on first name terms with Fiona Bruce :hypocrite:

Very well, just finished my text contribution for Paul Atterbury's book that accompanies the A&R documentary in 2014 (I guess I am not encouraged to post an abstract.....).

Great news. Looking forward to the TV show and the book.

You will be signing autograph next my friend.

• 2 months later...

I am innocent, am I?

Grandfather's story requires sacrifices.

:thumbsup: A sacrifice indeed...

Just been watching you Egbert on Antiques Roadshow. Having read this thread from the start I thought it was a great journey that you did and it was good to see some of the contents and see and hear you speak of your grandfather was great.

Regards. Mike

Egbert

Thank you ! Your appearance has completed a great story.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Egbert,

Having been an observer of Grandfather's Trunk in the 'early years' I of course have not forgotten it in the meantime. Indeed it is a thread I return to on the odd occasion I look at the GWF these days.

So, it was a nice surprise to 'see' you on the TV programme and to see the story of your grandfather's trunk reaching an even wider audience.

• 4 months later...

This is the new book/cover from Paul Atterbury that contains a snippet of this trunk thread, titled "The Story of my Grandfather's Trunk, Gottfried Sandrock".

Also thanks for an amazing 150.000 clicks here and all the great supporters who encouraged me to follow-up with my Grandfathers story. Could not imagine the interest when I started the thread in rural Alabama.

post-80-0-16108400-1408960012_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Although foreseen that the publisher, BBC books, presents me a copy of the book they were obviously not able to do so.

I am very grateful that the author Paul Atterbury saved the day. Today I received his presentation copy.

post-80-0-18503500-1410531366_thumb.jpg

does this picture look familiar?

post-80-0-83592600-1410531441_thumb.jpg

That is great Egbert. As well as being an 'expert' Paul comes across as a real gent.

I bet when the BBC first conceived the programme and the book they didn't expect to have a German contribution on the first page!

Neil

• 1 month later...

It will never end Ant.

Here is a letter from BBC with the dates of part II.

The date the second part will be aired will be coincidentally the date when I enter British soil first time in my life, but am leaving the UK at 5pm the same day by ship transatlantic (4 weeks).

Hope somebody can tell me how it was received in the UK and post here or PMs me

post-80-0-63950500-1413974542_thumb.jpg

Great news Egbert. So looking foward to it now. I can hardly believe it was over a year since it was filmed.

And thankfully I will be here in the UK this time! Looking forward to this one also!

Egbert,

Sometime back, I made a resolution to myself that one day, some day, I would visit Britain, France, and Germany to fulfill some "personal missions" in regards to my own family, both in terms of my ancestral heritage, and in the participation of my family and my wife's family in the two World Wars. I guess you could call it a "bucket list" of sorts. I will add to that list a visit to your grandfather's resting place. It may in the five years, it may be in twenty years, but I promise I will visit. This has been one of the best and most personal threads I've read on any forum. I have written down its location. As I have no family that was on "the other side," your grandfather's story is the most personal that I know so it would be an honor for me to visit.

Well Ant and Trajan, enjoy the A&R sequence - I don't know what will be aired with all that cutting and patching, so a big surprise to me as well

@TheFonz: be assured that Grandfather will be still there whenever you visit. When I was about 12 years old I swore to visit the USS Arizona memorial one future day. 36 years later I fulfilled my vow, coming back for a total of 3 times to pay homage to the men of the USS Arizona.

Great to see you again Egbert. You came across very well and your reading of the letter was excellent.

Eddie