Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

A total of 6 plaques , densely packed with the names of the WW1 fallen sons of a village that has a population of 2000 today.

post-80-0-02048600-1344181677_thumb.jpg

A very impressive memorial for a small village.

Thanks for posting, Egbert.

Good to see you're following through with other family members, Egbert. A real privilege to be able to follow your journey. The memorial is a testament to the way communities were decimated.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm very late to this but thank you for sharing everything. Most only have a fraction of the artifacts and information that you have. It has been an honour to read this thread and once again . Thank you.

• 1 month later...

"Revelations never stop" or "There is always something new".

Inside Grandfathers trunk is below shown picture of 4 lads, picture probably taken pre war in front of Grandfathers Gnesen barracks of IR 49 in Gnesen, German province Posen. It shows the regimental and battalion adjudants. I do not know the significance, but there must be one, otherwise GF and Grandmother would not have kept it throughout all these years.

post-80-0-88722600-1349020942_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Milosz , today I received the NOW picture with matching brick pattern. It is confirmed the old IR 49 barracks, located in today's Gnesen (Gniezno), Poland

post-80-0-80913400-1349021091_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

"Revelations never stop" or "There is always something new".

Inside Grandfathers trunk is below shown picture of 4 lads, picture probably taken pre war in front of Grandfathers Gnesen barracks of IR 49 in Gnesen, German province Posen. It shows the regimental and battalion adjudants. I do not know the significance, but there must be one, otherwise GF and Grandmother would not have kept it throughout all these years.

post-80-0-88722600-1349020942_thumb.jpg

It never ends. I just got another set of pictures from a local Gnesen/Gniezno citizen. Here are the latest pictures of Infanteriekaserne, where Grandfather was stationed before the war and which was his home garrison throughout the war.

post-80-0-85374300-1354028138_thumb.jpg

...post-80-0-80364300-1354028244_thumb.jpg

...post-80-0-16811900-1354028316_thumb.jpg

...post-80-0-10256100-1354028393_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

This thread has been my introduction to the WW1 forums. Very moving - especially the letters your grandfather wrote to his sons. A brave and loving man. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

This week was a milestone in my Grandfathers story. He found his way out from the virtual internet world into the real world.

The BBC invited me to film parts of the artifacts and air portions of the story. It all happened at the Memorial to the Missing at Thiepval, Somme.

The BBC program is the Antique Roadshow and they will present a special WW1 remembrance edition in 2014 and wanted to include a German perspective. I am very grateful to wards the BBC to let this happen. Also pal Anthony whose excellent Liverpool website -where Gottfried has his story in a compiled form- was the 'initializer' and from there it found the attention of the BBC.

And the best of all - my Grandfather was looking down to us from the Great Army up there .......

post-80-0-79754200-1375432151_thumb.jpg

I think it is wonderful that this story will now be seen by many more people when it airs.

Series editor, producer, presenter, grandson, assistant producer.

Just realized that we all look at the trunk which indeed found its way back after 95 years diaspora to the battleplace in France where its origin begun.

post-80-0-18493600-1375433769_thumb.jpg

This is wonderful, Egbert. Having (like many others on this forum, I expect) visited your grandfather's grave, I feel a sort of personal pleasure that you have been able to make his story known even more widely. Good for you and for Anthony, whose site drew this story to the BBC's attention.

Liz

Egbert,

This is fantastic news! Well done! I just hope I get a chance to view the episode when it airs.

:thumbsup:

-Daniel

This has given me goosebumps Egbert. Well done.

Well done Egbert. I hope the event went well.

Very well. The producer, series editor and presenter were extremely satisfied and the snippet will be shown as main feature in the anticipated edition. The subject was about a soldier with strong family ties to back home and the devastation of the family when Grandfather was kia. A fine and sober example that happened by the hundred thousands and serves as a reference story for so many, be they Commonwealth or German. I was a bit irritaded though when some of the audience in the background were sobbing quietly when the 2 testaments were read during the filming.....

post-80-0-12365500-1375448987_thumb.jpg

They said they are hoping for one to be shown around March, and the second if possible on Remembrance Sunday 2014. Egbert's story will feature in both shows.

It was an honour to see the trunk. Egbert was brilliant on his interview, and when he read the letters you could see the crowd begin to weep. Myself I have read the letters many times, but hearing Egbert read them out set my lip trembling, very very moving.

In the morning me and Egbert visited a few sites on the Somme. At Fricourt German Cemetery we saw this touching wreath laid by the British Legion.

kkqv.jpg

Great news Egbert - I am not surprised there were a few tears.

Must keep an eye out for the programmes next year.

Neil

The Pegler family from Orchard Farm has posted a series of photos from the BBC filming at Thiepval on Facebook

Paul Atterbury will also publish an accompanying book about the stories as well.