Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Egbert, I am one of the many who has been watching with fascinatioin and emotion. I think you must be very very difficult to live with - a great tease indeed.

Please explain the contents of two framed sets of photos etc?

Kathie

Egbert,

Is the other picture a taster for your father's story and part in this? :)

Steve

The latest picture of your grandfather is wonderful. I looked at your picture in your profile and I am sure I see a strong resemblence in the shape of the face and jaw-line

Wow! :D thank you Egbert for letting us see these fantastic momentoes , I knew there was more than one reason to join this Forum . Super, I am looking forward to see more ,you have my attention- :D

What a fascinating story this all is, the suspense, poignancy and an amazing legacy

Thanks for sharing

I was up until late last night reading all the threads (matchsticks on eyes this morning B) )

This would make a good book Egbert :)

Caryl

Egbert

Is that a B36 I spy flying through the room? And what's the ship -

USN?

Just being nosey!

Ian

Very curious; i did not commit to reveal my personal lifestyle, this is an exception: here is the view towards the other wall and yes you're right B-36 and "my" USS ARizona

post-80-1132319330.jpg

The trunk reveals lots of secrets, and there are some more to come until it will be closed again for coming family generations. But it also reveals the very evil side of war. Originally I did not want to make it public, but I think it belongs to the context of the secret trunk. Although under German Military Law absolutely legal and justified it is kind of strange for me -being myself a senior staff officer in third generation:

please read this link and you will understand...

As you say legal & justified under German Military law of the time.

Panic is contagious, a warning had been issued. A later court martial for the instigator would not have quelled the immediate dangerous situation.

Nevertheless the action which had to be taken would have led to nightmares where it was replayed during many sleepless nights.

The way you have described this incident allowed us all to put ourselves in the position of the officer faced with this situation.

I, for one, am with him.

Kate

Egbert,

It was a time where terrible things happened. How many accounts do we all read whereby soldiers recount their own terrible experiences?

In the heat of battle a commnader has to do many things he does not like or would do in normal circumstances. The reality of his actions meant that the regiment held on and did what it had to do.

What you explain as the aftermath only goes to show that he must have had nightmares over his decision. That shows humanity in a time when there was very little about.

Plus it is all very well us dicussing this in the comfort of our own homes, but can we comment with no real experience of trench life?

But, I too, support the decision.

So far people have learnt a lot from the secrets of this trunk, it has made them think and it has let people who have never seen artifacts like this see what life in WWI was like. Egbert tell your story whether it be good or bad, it has to be told.

Steve

Egbert;

As long as I see that other people are snooping about your home, I will point out that I think I see what probably is a complete set of Schlachten des Weltkrieges on the shelf.

Bob Lembke

Egbert,

It was a time where terrible things happened. How many accounts do we all read whereby soldiers recount their own terrible experiences?

In the heat of battle a commnader has to do many things he does not like or would do in normal circumstances. The reality of his actions meant that the regiment held on and did what it had to do.

What you explain as the aftermath only goes to show that he must have had nightmares over his decision. That shows humanity in a time when there was very little about.

Plus it is all very well us dicussing this in the comfort of our own homes, but can we comment with no real experience of trench life?

But, I too, support the decision.

So far people have learnt a lot from the secrets of this trunk, it has made them think and it has let people who have never seen artifacts like this see what life in WWI was like. Egbert tell your story whether it be good or bad, it has to be told.

Steve

Steve put it exactly as I tried to in the original thread, egbert. Your Grandfathers story deserves to be told.

Egbert;

As long as I see that other people are snooping about your home, I will point out that I think I see what probably is a complete set of Schlachten des Weltkrieges on the shelf.

Bob Lembke

Yup. Shelf 1,2,3,5 are all WW1 primary sources, mainly from 1915-end 1920s

Today was a very important day for Granddad here on this forum. He told you in another thread of his actions at the occasion of the battle of Les Loges/Crapeumesnil. Slipping back into the year 1914, here is his first impression report home (always excuse my incompetent, imperfect English translation):

France, 9 October 1914

My Dearest! Do you see me? The Commanding Officer of the Regiment just pinned the Iron Cross to my chest. My Dear, I shall have saved the honor of the regiment, because –in times of crisis, when some Poles who were about to capitulate to the enemy - I shot the first and by that our weak position could withstand. My Dear, keep this letter in case I will stay in the field of honor, and read it often to my child. 30 men from my squadron killed and God saved me. Thousand kisses and greetings, your ...

P.S. I am now Commanding Officer of 9. Kompanie

post-80-1132352609.jpg

5 field letters later:

"My Dearest,

By my actions at the occasion of the deadly assault of our Battalion, October 7th, I am highly distinguished now; as soon as an officer sees me, be it the CO Regiment or a captain, they ask for my well being. But amongst the NCOs I have quite a few enviers. Listen, they state if I had not acted like I did, holding a difficult position with few men, it would have been a bad mess (for the Bn) …..

Egbert, (and all other contributors) ... please excuse me if I have misunderstood or not understood enough but was the CO your Grandad?

He did what he had to do, no choice.

The CO would have, himself, had his orders, so he was put in a doubly difficult position by the stress and danger of the situation with simmering insubordination in the ranks.

I really do not feel that he could have taken any other decision (especilly as this must have had to be made in a split second).

Whoever he was, it must have been awful for him.

But, I still feel he had no choice to make.

This is a riveting thread and deserving of some kind of recognition. Words have now failed me. Thank you Egbert.

regards,

Susan.

Susan,

on 7 Oct 1914 he must have been Platoonleader (I believe a platoon normal strength was about maybe 50 men"...30 of my men dead.."), due to the losses of officers he temporarily was put in charge as Commanding Officer of a company, as written in a field letter, dated 9 Oct 1914

Egbert, what a responsibility.

I know it fell to lots of men in this tragic conflict, and you cannot help but feel most dreadfully sorry for them all.

You can understand why they were trained to look after each other, but with a COs responsibility it must have gone further than than.

The CO must have born the full weight (mentally) when lots of men under his command were killed. To say it does not bear thinking about, is an insult to each and every soldier. It is unimaginable.

So, it is wonderful you have all this information on your Grandad, but also very sad because you can actually see (from his letters etc) and are more acutely aware of what he went through. This is something that not many of us can be party to from our own Grandads time during WW1.

On a positive note, it does reveal the love between your Grandparents and that is something discovered to be thankful, for, and happy about.

I cannot help thinking that this must be heartbreaking for you. . In my own interst (in your Grandad's trunk) I am guilty of overlooking that this cannot help but affect you. And having thought even more about it .........................You are very brave revealing all this

You cannot help but have this on your mind on a daily basis because of all the interest it has brought to the forum.

Thank you for this superb thread and for sharing what must be very painful.

Susan.

Well said Susan, thanx ALL for your interest.

Now - lets continue; what's that? A wallet:

Don't know though what's inside

Eggy,

You've got about ten thousand people hanging on a thread just dangling there, jumping with every tweak of the string you make. You make Hitchcock look like bedtime story teller!! GET ON WITH IT!!

Lionboxer

There is a letter from the coy, dated 4.5.1918, 3 days after his death with an enumeration of items to be sent. One of the items supposed to be the wallet but EMPTY it says! :angry: : bad guys? comrades/buddies taking the money?

post-80-1132431807.jpg

Hold it, stop! No buddy, no own troops pick over the bones of their own!

There is a field letter to Grandmother from a close friend still entrenched near Merville, what does it say?