Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Grandfather sure loved the harmonica - here is another one; there was no IPod, CD player nor BFBS nor GFBS; imagine somebody playing his harmonica in the trenches and friend and foe listened to the tunes, maybe in the evening when all got more quiet; I bet everybody turned sentimental and thought of better times....I bet the hardest nut shell had a soft core

post-80-1132095896.jpg

The other side of the harmonica is badly damaged, but I assure you it is fully functional and still sounds sweet; reflecting what it might be out there in the dirt, mud, lice invested life, I cannot imagine an instrument with more overwhelming power to let these soldiers fade away into another world so far away, so unreachable....as long as the tune is played...

post-80-1132096617.jpg

Egbert

I am almost tempted to ask you to close the trunk and lock it again NOW. The reason is because I am totally enthralled in and enraptured by the revelations. To see such an intimate portrait of life at that time in history is such an honour and privelidge that I am going to feel very sad when it surely must come to an end. Unless you produce another trunk inside a trunk inside a trunk and the way this story is unfolding I wouldnt be surprised if you did

Egbert

I am almost tempted to ask you to close the trunk and lock it again NOW.  The reason is because I am totally enthralled in and enraptured by the revelations. To see such an intimate portrait of life at that time in history is such an honour and privelidge that I am going to feel very sad when it surely must come to an end.

Hm, maybe this is a good idea ;) let me think about it - the charme is - there will still secrets left for another internet time.....

Don't you DARE close that trunk!

Marina :)

I Second and third that!

Egbert, how wonderful. More enthralling items. Keep them coming. What a story, what a story-teller. Agree, that you could publish this. It would make wonderful reading and something for your descendants to treasure also.

I saw on an "Antiques" programme a lovely old brooch and it had a chain attached to it, not unlike your thin chain (several postings back). It had the same clip at one end, the other end dangled down presumably to go through a button hole!

Susan.

I Second and third that!

Egbert, how wonderful.  More enthralling items.  Keep them coming.  What a story, what a story-teller.  Agree, that you could publish this.  It would make wonderful reading and something for your descendants to treasure also.

I saw on an "Antiques" programme a lovely old brooch and it had a chain attached to it, not unlike your thin chain (several postings back).  It had the same clip at one end, the other end dangled down presumably to go through a button hole!

Susan.

Its a pity there is no smilie to denote smugness! I did suggest earlier that this might be the purpose :D

And Egbert I accept the will of the majority....keep the box open

Hm, Gunboat (presumably male), an Aussi lady and 2 Brit ladies inquire to go on? That's not too many! But to please my most faithful participants here, especially the ladies, here we go with something that might be of your interest. I call it a manicure set. I also guarantee you that it was last used 1918. The unidentified painting probably is from one of my Granddads kids

post-80-1132183046.jpg

And now comes the sad part of the set. The set most likely was in one of Granddad's chest pockets - the shell splinter must have crushed the mirror part with brutal force when penetrating through the uniform into the body of Granddad.

A very meaningful artefact of what a soldier carried with him even in the heat of the battle

post-80-1132183438.jpg

View from another angle.

I can imagine the children asking their mother later: "Mother why is the mirror broken, why do you keep that?" - - -

post-80-1132183777.jpg

Oh Egbert, how awful. Just think - your Grandad actually touched all these items. I find them all deeply moving. What a dreadful waste of life.

Egbert,

I also concur with everyone else who said, 'Don't close the trunk!'

You also said you'd tell us about the research part from your father in 1940?

Steve

Steve I did not forget! It just depends on the final decision to potentially close the trunk early in order to keep some revelations for coming generations :D

Don't you dare close that trunk.

It is a symbol, that no matter what side they fought on, they were someones son, brother, or husband.

These glimpses into a time gone are precious, especially for you, but by your generosity in sharing them, for us as well.

Kim

Egbert.

Now your thread has over 8000 views you are not allowed to close the trunk!!

I hope you enjoyed your holiday but did wonder if you were on the receiving end of a PITIFULMESIGH when a certain Forum member realised he had to stay behind to guard the trunk. :)

Neil

Egbert

I sat and stared at the pictures of the manicure set for ages, just thinking about your grandfather and your family.

I have previously suggested a book and even a TV documentary but I also think that you should take the box to local schools and show the children a real peice of family and social history to help with their studies and to help put a perspective on what is happening in their world today. It is too easy to swallow propaganda and dehumanise "enemies"

In the context if the great war your grandfather was considered as an enemy of the allies including the united states. I think that showing people, especially young people, the contents of your trunk may just make them think of all the people who are being killed in conflicts around the world today who may be considered as "enemies" and maybe they too will understand that they have families, they have children who draw pictures for their parents, that have letters to and from their loved ones, that they too have family who will hold treasure those little mementoes and memories for so many years to follow.

Perhaps then we will have some young people who are willing to challenge what they see on the news every night.

God Bless

Egbert

I have been very busy both personally and in business for the last few months and I have had to restrict my time before the one-eyed-wonder, including the GWF. I apologize to other forum members for I have probably missed some great topics – but it can’t be helped.

However I had to make an exception in this case and see what all the fuss was about - I was not disappointed

You have a treasure in that chest of your grandfather’s and thank you for sharing it with us – something which you have managed to do both with skill and with good taste.

However little time I have in the future I will certainly be making a point of following this thread

Thanks

Michael D.R.

Thanx for ALL the comments!

As I said earlier; he was wounded near Gheluvelt 14 November 1914; 91 years ago by today, he should have been back in Germany for treatment. This picture shows him later in a hospital, ca end of 1914. Interesting to see the pocket watch chain under his tunic as already shown in thread no 162

post-80-1132266289.jpg

Guest dorsetbaby

Was just about to go off to bed when I came across your posting. Then once I started to read couldn't stop. What a truely wonderful story. I have been busy today trying to find out what regiment my grandfather served in. As I only have 1 picture of him and don't know much about him at all. I only got the picture earlier this year and it was the first time I had ever seen a pic of him. So I really treasure the picture. You are very lucky to have so many things and now so much about your grandfather. My grandfather was born in 1888 and made it through WW1 and lived til 1947 but unfortunately I never got to meet him, as I was born in 1970. Treasure these memories and never let them go out of the family. I would do anything to just have 1 thing of my grandfathers. You a very lucky man.

With kind regards Donna

At this stage, he's still very different from the haggard and war-worn man you pictured earlier in the thread.

I find myself drawn to his eyes. They are bright, searching and alert, though the skin around them is tired with illness and pain.

Gwyn

..here is the Iron Cross II, he was awarded and so proud of for actions in the battle of Les Loges/Crapeumesnil, 7/8. October 1914.

You see also his original I.D. tag

post-80-1132272726.jpg