Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

This is Granddads officer trunk from 1918; it was sent back to Grandma when her husband left her, my 3 year old father and his brother for ever, May 1st,1918 on the battlefield between Merville and Bois de Nieppe.
The trunk is locked and who knows what's inside?

post-80-1130808448.jpg

Go on, then, Egbert. I'm curious.

Gwyn

Please open it before Sunday, I have to go back to sea for a month.

Roger.

Well!

Are you going to open it? Or do We pick the lock!

gordon

I'll play! Tins of food, extra socks, and sheet music. Mundane to the ridiculous.

How did anyone resist unlocking it until now?

According to your avitar the trunk belonged to a grand-dad of the German persuasion. Had it been the second world war I am guessing that it will be full of earth from Poland where he was helping to shift the country back to the homeland bit by bit. However being the first world war I think that it will be empty. His kit would have been divvied out to his surviving mates and it was just the box that was shipped home as no-one wanted it.

Secret papers never been seen before. A map of the UK with all the pubs shown in red!

Come on you have to open it now, we're dying to see whats inside.

Mandy

No, take the money!!

(Egbert - a long time ago there was a TV game show called 'Open the Box' in which successful competitors culd choose between a cash prize or the unknown contents of a box. The audience encouraged the contestants with shouts of "open the box" and "take the money")

No, take the money!!

a long time ago there was a TV game show called 'Open the Box' in which successful competitors culd choose between a cash prize or the unknown contents of a box. The audience encouraged the contestants with shouts of "open the box" and "take the money")

"Take Your Pick".............Open the box was an option,they say your memory starts to go when you pass 50,{From one who knows!}

Your Quiz & Inqusitor tonight is Mr Michael Miles...........Werent Sunday evenings gentle way back then! :blink:

It'll be full of Reichsmarks,pre Inflation............Loaf of bread anyone?

Harry and Kate remember "Take Your Pick" with Michael Miles on the telly. This old geezer remembers it on the wireless (radio for younger pals).

Radio Luxembourg, 208 metres medium wave, only receivable in reasonable fidelity after dark (now why was that, wireless techies?), so daytime Radio Lux broadcasts were all en francais. I digress.

The thing I recall was the "generosity" of the money offered for the key. "I'll give you 5 bob"... "No, I'll open the box"..."7/6 then"..."No, I'll open the box"..."10 bob?" etc.

THey brought it back, briefly, a few years ago IIRC.

As for what's in Egbert's grandad's trunk - his (German) field-marshal's baton, the manuscript of THE (unpublished) novel of the Great War (it would have pushed even Mr Blackadder's opus into the shade) - and the items suggested by busybee.

Jim

Thanx a lot for youe encouragements :)

Before I can open the box, I need to find the key! Last week I restored this old lock and freed it from 87 years of rust; wow I found the key -so we might do the job; maybe piece by piece, day by day?

post-80-1130851341.jpg

It's a beautifully unusual key! Think of your grandad handling it, inserting it into the padlock, carefully lifting the lid and........

Gwyn

If we were any nearer to him we could go 'over there' and kidnap his wife til he opened the box!

Mandy

Ps Ok so he wouldn't do it and we would be laft with the misses I know but it sounded good to start with!

mandy if you kidnap my missus i will run down there and get the box for you and you can keep her as long as you want :lol::lol: OHHH what bliss that would be,maybe the dog would come back home,bernard

You could borrow my Wife for a couple of months, but she only does cleaning and cooking now, and its the cooking thats the problem, its too good, if she's away me and the dogs might lose some weight. Just about to tackle a couple of bowls of London particular(soup) followed by steamed treacle pudding. oh dear! I can feel the calories already.

And Egbert, for goodness sake dont keep us in suspense, I dont care if your G-Dad was in the Irish Salvation Army :D:D

Len

I know its been eighty years;since the contents last saw light of day,but could I offer a couple of suggestions ........................... :);)

Patience,patience........

Do be a good chap and open the box-carefully, of course!

The suspense is killing me!

How about just using a small piece of C4? :blink:

Steve