Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Staff Officers

JulianB

The more I learn about the 1WW, the more I realise how many areas of 'military life' I do not know.

Could some kind soul explain (or tell me where I can find out) about staff officers in an infantry Brigade - and even Division.

I've references to Brigade Major and Staff Captain, but I'd love to know what they did.

thanks

Julian

The more I learn about the 1WW, the more I realise how many areas of 'military life' I do not know.

Could some kind soul explain (or tell me where I can find out) about staff officers in an infantry Brigade - and even Division.

I've references to Brigade Major and Staff Captain, but I'd love to know what they did.

thanks

Julian

Just to get the ball rolling. Staff officers did not serve in the line with a battalion, they carried out the administration and planning of all the details of running a war at several levels.Brigade, division , corps and so on. For a great description of just one of the tasks undertaken by a staff officer see " Liason 1914" by Edward Spears.

A brigade major was basically the Brigade Adjatant. He work hand in glove with the the Brigadier General and was his right hand man.

regards

Arm

Julian

It's ahuge subject. May I recommend Command and Control on the Western Front which is a collection of papers on the various levels of staff from Battalion up to GHQ. It is edited by Gary Sheffield and Dan Todman.

Mick Mills