Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres Xmas Markets?

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

My wife does not share my passion for visiting the Battlefields (strange, cannot understand it myself!) Therefore part of my cunning plan for a quick trip over would be to take her to a Xmas market, therefore;

Does anybody know if Ypres has one?

or failing that does Arras or any other towns on the Western Front have hold one?

Thanks,

Scottie.

Scottie,

To my knowlege Ypres doesnt have an Xmas market on the scale of some of the other European towns and cities, however about 55 clicks away from here is Brugge ;)

Regards

Iain

Not really. Last year they did have a skating rink outside the Cloth Hall, and a weird but effective nativity scene based on a picture of the ruins. I'm hoping to pay a flying visit before Christmas to stock up on my diminishing Belgian beer supply. Unfortunately, I suspect that the Ariane will be closed again over Christmas, so will have to find alternative lodgings.

Iain, Mark & Tom,

Gents,

sorry for the delay in responding, been on a course for a couple of days, thank you for answers, I would like to visit Brugge sometime (Perhaps on the train from Ypres) but was hoping that my dearest would see Ypres in its Christmas Glory and fall in love with the place. On an 'overnighter' Brugge would be a bit too far and not leave me much time for a recce in the area.

Oh well, plan foiled, just have to look for another excuse.

Thanks again and regards,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Arras has a Christmas Market, but as I'm used to the ones in Alsace and Germany, I'm afraid that I didn't find the Arras one very interesting.

What about trying Manchester? :P

Gwyn

Lille has one which attracts bus loads of tourists. It has been hallowed by antiquity; its origins are lost in the mists of time, but it is thought to date all the way back to 2002. It certainly was not here when I first arrived in 2000.

It consists of about 18 garden huts huddled together for warmth in a corner of the main square. It's very odd. If it was taking place in your local Saturday market you would not leave your seat by the fire in the snug bar to go and see it. But becasue it is in Lille (or Strasbourg or Cologne) Brits flock here to buy their climbing Santas, marzipan, Rudolf in a snow-bottle etc.

Now there is a good one in Reims - and you can stock up with Xmas Champagne as well. I always make a point of going to Reims on business in mid-Decmenber

) Brits flock here to buy their climbing Santas, marzipan, Rudolf in a snow-bottle

... glühwein, cribs, glühwein, 'Belgian' chocolate, glühwein, burgers, glühwein, wurst in / not in sandwiches, with / without ketchup, glühwein, beer, iced gingerbread with E-numbers, wooden tulips in garish colours...

Sounds just like Manchester, and you don't need euros, and there's a Ferris Wheel too.

I found the Arras one thin and lacking in atmosphere. By Alsacien ones I meant the small ones in villages, where local people and local producers share their crafts and edible produce, sometimes in medieval costume.

I agree that the Reims market is a pleasant experience. All of them have their own magic at night.

Gwyn

Gwynn & Hedley,

thanks for the advice, having just spent a night in Manchester I think I will politely decline your kind suggestion and unfortunatley Reims is just a bit too far away from Ypres.

I came up with the idea as a couple of years ago a friend and I went on a last minute day trip to Colditz castle and we spent the afternoon in Leipzig where they had a fantastic Cristmas Market and i know my wife would have enjoyed it, so was trying to find something of interest to 'her indoors' but on the Western Front with some interest for me.

Best wishes and thanks again,

Scottie.

Seriously, now. Most of the regional tourist offices seem to produce leaflets which list the festive events, exhibitions and markets. I haven't got any links handy relevant to the area you mean, but I bet an email to the various offices would elicit some information.

Sorry we can't entice you to Manchester!

Gwyn

There's also one at Ostend every year. Largest one in the area is at Brugge indeed.

Does anyone, ever, buy those orangey rock-salt lamps that are always on sale in Christmas Markets?

Gwyn

Pal's,

it is no good you lot trying to entice me to bring my fair lady to Manchester, Birmingham or even Ostend Xmas Fairs for the weekend, I am afraid its 'Wipers' or nothing!!!!

The cunning plan was;

Visit Ypres with the 'trouble & strife',

Wife falls in love with Xmas Market in the fantastic surroundings of the Square at Ypres.

I slip away for a crafty walk around the Salient with my son!!!!!!!

So OK I failed on this occaision, but I will find another way to get her there, dont they indulge in a festival involving bit of 'cat throwing' from the tower? (Second thoughts thats hardly likely to get her there either!!!!!!!)

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Regards and thanks for the tips so far,

Scottie.

Hi all

For information on Christmas Markets Trips and other Trips for 2006 you can E-Mail me.

I have just printed a leaflet with our Schedule for Christmas upto July 2006 of Tours etc.... For Ypres and the surrounding areas.

LizM

• 10 months later...

Almost a year later.... I picked up a leaflet this week announcing a first Christmas Market in Ieper. Runs from 8 Dec to 1 Jan. Ice rink and 36 chalets.

See here or here for more info......

Le-Treport,

At last, my prayers seem to have been answered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Thank you very much for the news and the update, better start working on the wife again, you never know i might persuade her over the Ypres this year.this year.

Regards,

Scottie.

Hello Scottie,

I have got some good news for you.... for the first time Ypres is going to organise a Christmas market as well next to the skating ring on the market square. From December 8th till January 1st, 36 chalets will be put on the main square selling typical Christmas products. So it looks like there will be a way to combine your wife's Christmas shopping with your wish to explore the Salient... :D

Charlotte

Charlotte,

am hoping sometime to entice her to your wonderful establishment, but to be fair to her she finds the whole experience of visiting the war Graves just too upsetting, she takes one look at the ages of the men (boys)and then looks at our teenage son and just thinks of the pain all those Mothers felt.

If i cannot entice her over i may well drag my son over, perhaps in the October half term.

Hope you and the family are well,

Kind regards,

Scottie.

• 1 year later...

I see the Christmas Market is on again this year. Bruges was far better (stating the obvious really), but at least it something different to do if you are in Ieper

I was not impressed with the Christmas Market in Brugge last year, the Ice Sculptures at the stationn was impressive.

John

P.S. My wife agrees