Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Financial cost of the war

marc leroux

I came across this table that contains the financial cost of the war to various countries (link here). It puts Canada's cost (which I am particularily interested in) at $1.6 Billion in 1914-1918 dollars (presumably US Dollars).

Does anyone have any source for this number and/or could verify it?

Thanks

marc

Hard to believe that no one has an oinion on this :blink:

I have an opinion.

I find it strange that GB had more expenditure than France!

As for the validitedly of these figures I can not confirm them personally, but I feel sure that on the Long Long trail site I have seen something like this done by Chris. Have a search see if they match, assuming they exist there.

regards

Arm

NB Tried to find it but no luck on the mothersite, perhaps I imagined it!!?

Edited by armourersergeant

I also find it strange. I wonder how you would distinguish between a normal expense and a war related one. I believe UK made large loans to other participants. Would this account for it?

Interesting site. I wonder if the reason is navy expenditure.

The closeness of the figures for Russia and America may provide the clue. America spent nearly the same sum as Russia, despite the fact that Russia was in it from the start. with primarily land campaigns on every front, vast supply line problems, and buying arms abroad on a huge scale. Russia and France didn't prioritise naval building programs, but Britain and America did. Navies aint cheap.

I missed your post first time around. Now that I've got my thinking cap on, there is a dusty old book at the National Archives on national war costs which may break the figures down (unless someone already knows the source of the sites data?)

Bruce

Most of these figures are highly speculative ... I mean, think about it ... between damage and lost tax revenue alone, the figures would be huge ... then the long term interest rates to the US ... the losses of shipping ... I wouldn't use a real figure ... just the word "lots"

Most of these figures are highly speculative

Agreed, but there had to be a basis for the reparations assigned to Germany.

marc