Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

daniel beak vc

shark

Daniel Beak gained his vc at logeast wood in August 1918 (63rd RN division) close to Achiet le grand

somebody told me that he was a tank commander (?????)

i know he was drake bn but i'd like to make sure about this information

could anybody who investigate VC help me?

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO FIND A PHOTO OF DANIEL BEAK

thanks again to all members of the great war forum

for your help

philippe

I believe Daniel Beak was a Sotonian, (from Southampton!), and is commemorated at his old school - Taunton's, in the city.

Att. pls find;

Commander D. M. W. [known as ‘Polly’] Beak VC.,DSO., MC., RNVR

From a portrait by Ambrose McEvoy in the possession of the IWM

Sorry but at the moment I can find no ref to the Tank incident

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-386-1130688395.jpg

They weren't armoured, but I believe he commanded a Regular battalion - 1st South lancs (?) - in France in 1940. Maybe he was in the armoured corps at some time, post war?

They weren't armoured, but I believe he commanded a Regular battalion - 1st South lancs (?) - in France in 1940.  Maybe he was in the armoured corps at some time, post war?

i might have the answer he was with the 8th army in africa during ww2

hope to get more but it is funny to have so much trouble to get a picture of him

thanks to you all for the great help

philippe

Daniel Marcus William Beak

Born 27th July 1891 In Southampton, Hampshire.

Died 3rd May 1967 in Swindon Wiltshire and is Buried at Brookwood Cemetry, Woking, Surrey with the Rank of Major General D.S.O., M.C. & Bar

Cheers

Brian

thanks to you all

best regards

• 3 months later...

Pals may wish to know that it has been provisionally agreed between Cheltenham Borough Council, This England magazine and the Cheltenham YMCA, that a bronze plaque commemorating Maj Gen Beak, VC, one-time resident of Cheltenham and Secretary of the Cheltenham YMCA, be erected on part of the balustrade inside the surrounds to the Cheltenham Borough War Memorial in The Promenade, Cheltenham.

The memorial will be unveiled by the Mayor of Cheltenham on an agreed date in September 2006 and the Cheltenham British Legion have kindly agreed to organise a short service of dedication immediately beforehand.

This England magazine will organise the bronze plaque and Cheltenham Borough Council will arrange for it's erection in the balustrade area. Television and BBC Local Radio will be invited to the ceremony and This England magazine will follow up with an article in the Winter 2006 issue.

All enquiries to Peter Worsley, This England magazine, Alma House, 73 Rodney Road, Cheltenham, GL50 1HT. Tel. 01242-537900

I'll keep Pals updated.

Regards

Jimmy

Jimmy,

Very many thanks for the news on the memorial to this RND hero

and thanks in advance for your offer of up-dates

best regards

Michael D.R.

• 3 months later...

The unveiling ceremony will take place at 1230hrs Wednesday 27th September. My brother and I have been privileged to receive an invite. I'll get a snap of the plaque and post it here in late September.

Regards

Jimmy

Thanks for the up-date Jimmy

It's a long way that you've got to travel, but I am sure that you will find it worth while, and I look forward to seeing any snaps which you manage to take

Best regards

Michael

Pals may wish to know that it has been provisionally agreed between Cheltenham Borough Council, This England magazine and the Cheltenham YMCA, that a bronze plaque commemorating Maj Gen Beak, VC, one-time resident of Cheltenham and Secretary of the Cheltenham YMCA, be erected on part of the balustrade inside the surrounds to the Cheltenham Borough War Memorial in The Promenade, Cheltenham.

The memorial will be unveiled by the Mayor of Cheltenham on an agreed date in September 2006 and the Cheltenham British Legion have kindly agreed to organise a short service of dedication immediately beforehand.

This England magazine will organise the bronze plaque and Cheltenham Borough Council will arrange for it's erection in the balustrade area. Television and BBC Local Radio will be invited to the ceremony and This England magazine will follow up with an article in the Winter 2006 issue.

All enquiries to Peter Worsley, This England magazine, Alma House, 73 Rodney Road, Cheltenham, GL50 1HT. Tel. 01242-537900

I'll keep Pals updated.

Regards

Jimmy

i don't know how i missed this because of my research on Achiet-le-grand i am very interesting in this

unfortunatly i will not be able to come but i would participate in lying a wreath.

could you do it for me ?

i will post it to you

could you also send me some photo and a copy of the local news paper?

i will add on my website on Achiet this event.

thanks

Philippe

I would be honoured to do so.

I'll PM with my brother's address in Cheltenham.

Regards

Jimmy

• 4 months later...

The unveiling ceremony took place, as planned, on 27th September. The autumn sunshine helped to make it a memorable occasion. Philippe Droiun (Shark of the Forum), Vice President of the Somme Remembrance Association and Teddy Colligan, Guardian of the Ulster Tower were invited and travelled from France to join the official procession from the Mayor's Parlour to the Cheltenham War Memorial.

Wreaths were laid by Jacky Fletcher Mayor of Cheltenham, Philippe Drouin and Didy Grahame of the VC and GC Association.

Captain (RN) Kevin Wilson and Brigadier Kit Jebens read accounts of Daniel Beaks exploits in the RNVR and South Lancashire Regiment respectively.

The ceremony was featuted in the ITV Central evening news bulletins and The "Gloucestershire Echo" will run a major story with photographs in tomorrows edition.

I have attached a snap of the bronze commemorative plaque.

Truly a day to remember.

Regards

Jimmy

The plaque.