Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bermudian Dr Charles Wainwright

aodhdubh

I have a clipping from 18th August, 1914, which reads:

"Dr. Charles Wainwright, M.B. M.R. C.S., L R C P E., son of Mr. Musson Wainright, who has been practising in British Colombia, hasjoined [sic] the Hospital ship Prince George, given by Canada to England, for use in the war."

I assume Dr. Wainwright would have been commissioned (RAMC? RCAMC?), rather than serving as a civilian. Does anyone have any further details on him? Does anyone know anything about this vessel, and its War service?

I'll be thankful for any input.

Sean

There's information on the ship online, at http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.org/reso...irst_women.html

from which this is excerpted:

"[The] ship probably had the shortest life of any commissioned vessel in the RCN. Prince George was built in 1910. It was a 307 foot long steel vessel with twin screws, and weighed 3,372 tons. The ship was operated by Grand Trunk Pacific Steamship Company as a motor vessel cruising from Tacoma, Washington to Skagway, Alaska, and was eventually taken over by the Canadian National Railway (CNR) before being drafted into the Royal Canadian Navy on August 8th, 1914.

Prince George was rented for $500 per day (this included her crew) under RCN command. Because of a mistake in Ottawa, the ship actually received a commission instead of becoming a fleet auxiliary vessel.

The MV Prince George was delivered to Esquimalt Drydock for an intensive four-day refit, and converted from ex-cruise ship to 200-bed hospital ship.

The Prince George then returned to Esquimalt for a thorough Admiralty inspection.

On September 1st, the nurses left the ship, and on September 4th, the ship was paid off, reconditioned and returned to her owners. While officially in the navy for less than 30 days, the vessel was in fact hired out to the RCN for a total of 47 days. The only casualties treated on the Prince George were a sailor from a Japanese cruiser with a broken leg, a nurse with a sprained ankle, and several seasick nurses.

All the nurses eventually ended up the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corp in 1915."

Reading this makes me wonder if Dr Wainwright ever did cross the Atlantic. If so, I assume he did so as part of the RCAMC, also...again. If anyone can help me on that, I'd be grateful.

post-6977-1130704505.jpg