Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ally Sloper's Cavalry

Steven Broomfield

I guess this is one for Terry dDenham, but here goes.

On a recent visit to St Omer, I was allowed time off for good behaviour and allowed to visit Longuenesse Cemetary (thanks to the 3 ladies in my life), and I was interested to see that every Army Service Corps grave, bar one, was actually marked as Royal Army Service Corps, with attendant badge. This included ASC men who died as early as 1914. As I said, one grave (a shared one) had the ASC badge.

Why? I believe the Royal was granted in 1919, so although the regiment strictly speaking may have become 'Royal' before Versailles and the technical end of the war, most of the men commemorated died while the regiment was non-Royal. Anyway, why was the one grave marked as ASC?

Is there a CWGC policy on this? I have seen this brought up in other threads, but as the son of an old (WW2) RASC man, ASC/RASC graves stand out for me. Any comments/thoughts gratefully received.

Terry will know. However, RFC men who died as RFC are commemorated thus. And then there is the nonsense about renaming the Welch graves Welsh. I can see no reason why ASC men should not be just that: ASC.

By the way, my grandfather was ASC [MT]: I have his medals and his cap badge and shoulder titles, with a fine portrait to go with. And his ID disc and other memorabilia. This fine old gentleman was a substitute father to me in WW II when my own father was far away, in the RAF. Grandpa made 96 years.

Thanks. Now that raises another point - the RFC graves all appear to have the RAF badge. I commented on it to myself at the time, and you've reminded me. Interesting thought.

The gravestones with the modern? inscritions would probably have been placed there after the titles had changed, ie when the CWGC got round to replacing old marker's and the new titles were in use. The replacements took some years to be done. Hope that makes sense??

Len

Makes sense, but surely they shouldn't do it? The bloked served in the ASC, not the RASC, or am I being too picky?

am I being too picky?

No, I don't think you are.

The logic would then say that all replacement stones should be whatever the successor organisation is at time of replacement. So no more East, North & South Lancashires - just Queen's Lancashire - and soon to be changed yet again. Etc.

John

Thanks.  Now that raises another point - the RFC graves all appear to have the RAF badge.  I commented on it to myself at the time, and you've reminded me.  Interesting thought.

I believe that the RGC men are being given RFC badges when the headstones are replaced. I believe that one of the first to be done was at Cabaret Rouge.

Martin

You know - I'm not being picky. Men should be buried under the cap badge they wore at the time. No excuse, I'm afraid.