The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment

Starspotter7

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to researching soldiers from the Great War, so I would welcome any help to find out about my Great Great Grandfather. :)

I am trying to find out about my 2xGreat Grandfather, Henry/(Harry) Frederick Bailey. I knew nothing about this man until I came across an old photo of him in his WW1 uniform, and a clever person was able to tell me that at the time of the photograph he served with the Kings Own Royal Lancashire Regiment, he was a territorial and a private, and also served in the Boer War with the same regiment. Because of this he is missing from the 1901 census, so I haven't been able to find out anything about his family. I do know however that he did not die in WW1, and that he lived in Islington, and was from London.

I would love to know more about the man in my picture, does anybody know how I can do this?

Sarah

Hello, Sarah and welcome to the Forum.

If you click on the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page), it'll take you to the mother site. If you then find the "research" section, you should find everything you need to know about how to find stuff out. Once you've had a nosy, please come back and ask any specific questions you may have.

You may also find the King's Own Museum at Lancaster has information about your relative. If he served in the Boer War, then he will have been a regular soldier at the time and museums often have more info on them than guys who enlisted just in WW1.

Good luck

John

Thanks for the link to the research page, that contains lots of useful tips. I had contacted the museum, but they could not find any record of my relative, so I am a bit stuck at the moment. I won't give up yet though!

Provied that Henry Served overseas, he may well be one of these two men.

Medal card of Bailey, Henry

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Lancaster Regiment 202827 Private

or

Medal card of Bailey, Henry

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Lancaster Regiment 202296 Private

Labour Corps 119820 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...=1&mediaarray=*

The 2nd man obviously also served in the Labour Corps which was created on 1-1-1917. Men were quite often transferred to the Labour Corps due to wounds or age.

The 6-digit numbers of these men identifies them as serving with the 4th Battalion as at 1-3-1917 when a general renumbering of Territorial (TF) infantrymen occured.

The 1/4th King's Own served in France from 1916 with 55th Division. Before that the were attached to 51st Division.

http://www.1914-1918.net/55div.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/51div.htm

There doesn't seem to be any other Bailey in the King's Own that fits.

It is probable that Henry is one of these two men (on the proviso of overseas service, which bearing in mind his age and probable service in South AFrica is not certain), but which one is not determinable without a look at their service records at the National Archives (if they still exist).

Both men seem to have survived the war.

The other possible avenue of research is a general trawl of local newspapers of the time.

Steve.

Steve,

Thank you so much for all that helpful information, I had no idea that you could tell so much about a soldier just from his number! I wish I knew whether or not he served abroad, I am guessing from his photo that he would have been in his mid to late 30s, maybe 37 or 38, so I just don't know. He could quite possibly be one of those men though, as both were Territorials and both seemed to have survived the war. I'll definately have a look at those Medal Cards though, so thank you for all your help! :)

Sarah