Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Belgian wounded in England

Cnock

Hello,

Pic of wounded Belgian soldiers in England.

Written on back of pick :

Bedale,

Red Cross Hospital,

Market Place, Yorkshire.

More info available about the hospital?

Thanks,

Cnock

post-7723-1130511608.jpg

I live in Bedale and am thrilled at seeing your picture. The Hospital was in Bedale hall. Pic

Here

Bit busy at the moment but I'll get back as soon as poss.

Near where I live there is a plot with 21 Belgian war graves, I have not seen it myself, but thought it rather strange to have a plot of Belgians in Blighty!

I don't have much at the moment on the hospital in Bedale Hall but on the centenary of the Battle of Waterloo a wreath was laid on the grave of Captain John Hinks, a Bedale man who was at the battle, Belgian soldiers convalescing at the hospital attended the ceremony.

The Hall was owned by the Beresford -Peirse family but prior to the Great war the Lawson family took up residence. One of the sons, Lt.Col Arthur Bertram Lawson was killed in 1918.

Roger.

Quite a lot of Belgians are buried in Britain, mostly in ones and twos. Sadly, some of the graves have disappeared even though they are on the Belgian army lists.

For example, unless someone on this list can find it, the grave of a Belgian in the RC cemetery at Bath has gone (it's a small cemetery and very open, so little chance of missing it).

Equally, the grave of a Belgian in the old cemetery at Cobh has disappeared entirely (I've spent a couple of hours searching and so has a friend).

There are also graves at Folkestone and other places.

I've never thought of seeing if any of the Belgians died here. Sounds like a bit of research is in order.

Is there a Belgian equivelent of the CWGC?

Roger.

During the early months on the 1914 campaign, the Belgian Army stationed in and around Antwerp send many of it wounded and sick to Great Britain, (away from the war) this was possible because the German Army moved from eastern Belgium (Liege) to Brussels and then south to France while the communications (road and rail) between Antwerp and the Belgian coast lay in north west Belgium away from the German marching routes and were surprisingly ignored by the Germans, a fatal mistake which would contribute to the successfull survival of the Belgian Army when it retreated from Antwerp.

CWGC look after many Belgian war graves in the UK although it is the responsibility of the Belgian authorities to provide the headstones.

There was an unmarked Belgian war grave in Eastbourne which I reported about five years ago and the headstone was only put in place in 2004.

Below is a pic of this stone in Eastbourne (Ocklynge) Cemetery and another of the older style from Brighton (Bear Road) Cemetery.

post-19-1131112369.jpg

Found this Link

It doesn't look like any of the Belgian soldiers died from the hospital in Bedale.

The following photos are of the Belgian WW1 Memorial and plot in Kensal Green Roman Catholic cemetery which I have posted before on another thread.

post-38-1131235157.jpg

post-38-1131235200.jpg

Roger,

Thank You for the information.

In attachment another foto of Belgian wounded in GB.

The back of it reads in French:

Richmond 15/11/1914

Hospital King Alberts

Hospital nr.2

London.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1131292043.jpg

As far as I know there is no Belgian equivalent of the CWGC.

Patrick DeWolf was doing a complete inventory a few years ago (and I looked out a few graves for him), but a couple of years ago he disappeared into cyberspace and doesn't reply to mails to the only address I have for him (it's the one on his website).

He was offering a CD-ROM of all the war graves - which is what I want, but until he replies.................

I do have what I think is a nominal list (sent to me by Patrick), but I can't say that it's complete as it only lists men who have graves, not disappeared, etc.

If you would like a copy, mail me off-list.

As Patrick deWolf is doing an inventory of Belgian dead complete with photos, I'm sure he would appreciate a copy of these photos or any other that people know.