Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

26th Division US Army

Jacob

I just got some records for Private Harry DEWAR of the US Army. It says that he was a private with Hq. Trp. 26th Div. Does that mean he would of been in the front lines? Thanks.

Bill White

Hi Bill,

It's quite possible he could have been in the front lines as a runner.

Just out of curiosity what records do you have?

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil. Not much. One reads Information Releasable Under The Freedom Of Information Act.

Name: Harry L. Dewar

Branch of Service & service #: US Army 0 210 538

Dates of service: Aug 30, 1917 - March 31, 1919

Duty Status: discharged

Assignments & Geographical Locations: Headquarters Troop, 26th Division, Camp Davis Ma.

Decorations & Awards: WWI Victory Medal w/Defensive Sector Battle Clasp, WWI Victory Button

There is another page with four photocopied papers about 4"X3"

One says tha he received a citation for gallantry in action (but not warranting any decoration)

One says he was awarded MSCC by CG, AEF, June 2, 1919

One says French Croix de Guerre with Gilt Star, under Order No. 11.405 "D", dated Nov 9, 1918

Thanks. I don't know what any of it means. Any idea? Thanks.

Bill White

Hi Bill,

The Citation would have entitled him to a silver star on his victory medal ribbon.

I'm drawing a blank on the MSCC, the Croix de Guerre w/gilt star is most likely a unit award although I don't have a history of the 26th to confirm this.

He should have more bars than "Defensive Sector" though for service with the 26th.

interesting record, generates more questions than answers!

Thanks,

Neil

Hi Neil. Thanks for your reply. Yes, it does leave more questions. How would I find out his regiment? Thanks.

Bill White

That's the strange thing, Bill. There is normally a notation of HQ Company xyz Infantry, which can give you a better idea. I'm not familiar with Divisional HQ troops although naturally they exist.

You may want to check with a 26th Divisional History, they were a pretty well documented unit and there's no doubt that the Croix de Guerre will be mentioned in any history that includes citations.

Good luck,

Neil

• 3 months later...

Hi Bill,

MSCC-Meritorious Service Citation Certificate. The US Distinguished Service Medal was considered a pretty much officers-only award. To recognize meritorious service by NCO's and enlisted men the AEF issued these Certificates.

Ironically the Purple Heart was intended to be the actual award that would be issued for these certificates in the early 1930's before it became almost exclusively a wound medal.

Sorry for the late reply, came across it checking an AEF Certificate reference book.

Neil

Hi Neil. Not much. One reads Information Releasable Under The Freedom Of Information Act.

Name: Harry L. Dewar

Branch of Service & service #: US Army 0 210 538

Dates of service: Aug 30, 1917 - March 31, 1919

Duty Status: discharged

Assignments & Geographical Locations: Headquarters Troop, 26th Division, Camp Davis Ma.

Decorations & Awards: WWI Victory Medal w/Defensive Sector Battle Clasp, WWI Victory Button

There is another page with four photocopied papers about 4"X3"

One says tha he received a citation for gallantry in action (but not warranting any decoration)

One says he was awarded MSCC by CG, AEF, June 2, 1919

One says French Croix de Guerre with Gilt Star, under Order No. 11.405 "D", dated Nov 9, 1918

Thanks. I don't know what any of it means. Any idea? Thanks.

Bill White

It's sort of confusing, actually. An infantry division should not have a "Headquarters Troop", but a "Headquarters Company". "Troop" was a term used only in Cavalry units. I guess it could be a typo for "Headquarters troops" (i.e. those soldiers assigned to the HQ), but it seems strange. Also seems strange that the only assignment/location is stateside. No mention of his overseas posting. Doc2