Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Images of Flanders (The Great War In Ypres)

iain mchenry

Hi all,

Just bought forum member, Jacky Platteeuws's, newly published book today. The title of which is the post title. It is an amazing collection of postcards and photographs of Ypres town before, during and after the great war with a great emphasis showing the rebuilding of the town.

Anyone who enjoys visiting Ypres and walking its streets will love this book. In it include photos of many bars and hotels etc opened by enterprising ex servicemen after the war.

Well done Jacky, a great book mate.

ISBN 90-76684-52-9

Best regards

Iain

Hi all,

Just bought forum member, Jacky Platteeuws's, newly published book today. The title of which is the post title. It is an amazing collection of postcards and photographs of Ypres town before, during and after the great war with a great emphasis showing the rebuilding of the town.

Anyone who enjoys visiting Ypres and walking its streets will love this book. In it include photos of many bars and hotels etc opened by enterprising ex servicemen after the war.

Well done Jacky, a great book mate.

ISBN 90-76684-52-9

Best regards

Iain

Thanks for the post Iain, and congratulations to Jacky. I'll be getting mine on order tomorrow. Er, I've just thought - what language is it in?

Roy

How much is it??

Any chance of a scan of the cover folks?

Congrats to Jacky.

Des

Oh well, another book to get while I'm away!

This is going to eat into my drinking money, :D but hey ho there you go.

Looking forward to reading it Jackie

Mandy

Been away from the computer most of the evening so apologies for the late replies.

Tom - The publisher is through Tempus publishing Ltd, Stroud, Glos. Unfortunately due to awful computer skills I am unable to scan the cover or anything else!!

Anthony - The cover price of the book is £12.99 and worth every penny.

Roy - As Donna says its in English.

This book will have you wandering around Ypres on your next visit doing the "Then and now" thing using the book photos.

Best regards

Iain

The cover price of the book is £12.99 and worth every penny.

Iain

Iain

Quite agree - my copy arrived last week and its wonderful. Loads of photos which I had not seen before.

Buy it - you will not regret it! Essential if you are interested in Ieper.

Mike S

Jacky - I want a signed copy and Cynthia will too. She is coming over from the USA at Christmas. We may come over to Ypres .Will you be there ? Or sunning yourself in the pacific and spending the vast royalties ?

Ian,

A signed copy will be yours but..... I think Cynthia will regret asking this she will be literally overwhelmed with kisses.

Will be good to see you and Cynthia.

Jacky

Available in US?  THrough Tom?

Sorry, Andy - I didn't see your question. The book costs £12.99 and I expect to be selling it for £10.99. Postage charges to the USA will be approx. £1.82 Surface Mail or approx. £3.65 Air Mail.

Tom

I'm very annoyed Jacky didn't try to flog me a signed copy at the Menin Gate the other evening. Our good friend obviously isn't commercially-minded enough! Seriously, I'm very much looking forward to getting a copy. I shall try to secure one for our school library as well.

Hi Mark,

Simple explication to it. I only discovered last Monday that the book was for sale in Ieper. For the moment I don't have any copy myself of it the distributor just forgot to drop of some at my home. Next year mate a signature and if you were a lady some kisses but I'll stick to a pint :D

Jacky

I didn't want to add to this thread until I had seen the book, but now I have, as my copies arrived today. Well done Jacky. An excellent selection of pictures, and I don't think there's a single one that I remember having seen before (and being a big Ypres fan, I have seen a few!)

Congratulations, mate.

Tom

Jacky saw your book yesterday in Ieper - must say very impressed!

What a brilliant job you have done - this is the book we have all been waiting for - great images of Ieper.

Well Done!

Liz

Congratultions, Jacky !

Does there also exist a 'dutch language' version, obtainable at this side of the North Sea ?

Gilbert Deraedt <_<

Thanks to all for the wonderful feedback.

Gilbert,

There is a Dutch version 'Archiefbeelden' however with mostly different photos: ISBN 90-76684-09-X. Could be sold out.

Jacky