Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LT EDWIN MACKINTOSH 8TH BLACK WATCH

charlesmessenger

Does anyone know anything about the background of this officer, who was killed on the first day of Loos (25 September 1915) and is remembered on the Loos Memorial?

He bequeathed £1,000 to Lloyd's Patriotic Fund for the families of naval officers killed in WW1 and I am intrigued why this should be so, given that he elected to be a soldier. Perhaps his family had a naval connection or one with Lloyd's?

Charles

There's a source (according to the 'Murphy's Register' CD) to Mackintosh, E. H. Lt. 8th Black Watch in War Illustrated (Album de luxe) vol. 4 page 1424.

Alan Seymour

Charles

I don't know if this an explanation but there is an Edwin Mackintosh age 13 years registered in 1901 Census: Born in Hongkong and living in Hertford, St. John Rural Entire. There is also an Edwin Mackintosh age 60 : Born in Islington London living in Hertford, St John Rural Entire. Work: Shipowner.

If this is the same Edwin it could be the answer.

Regards

Myrtle

Just to give you an idea of the family.

Edwin Mackintosh 60 B: Islington - Shipowner

Elizabeth Mackintosh 50 B: Aigbwith (?) Lancs.

Lillian Mackintosh 17 B: Hongkong

Elsie Mackintosh 15 B:Northumberland- Hunsham

Edwin Mackintosh 13 B: Hongkong

Regards

Myrtle

Alan, Myrtle

Many thanks. I will check War Illustrated, but will need to visit my loft to do so. Re 1901 Census, the fact that father was a shipowner might by provide the reason for the bequest to the RN. On the other hand, it would seem that Mackintosh had a brother and it was he who handed over the bequest to Lloyd's Patriotic Fund. If it is of any help, Mackintosh's full names were Edwin Hampson.

Charles

Charles

Do you know the name of the brother ?

If the brother does not show up on the Census then he could have been abroad at the time. Possibly even in HongKong.

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle

Alas, I don't have the brother's name, but he could well have been abroad at the time of the census. There is also no record of Edwin's age on the CWGC entry, but if he was 13 in 1901 he was of the right age to serve in 1914.

Charles

'The Bond of Sacrifice' only covers up until June 1915. In case it's crossed your mind his picture dosen't appear in the book 'Portraits of Lloyd's Men Whose names appear on the Lloyd's War Memorial 1914-1919.

Just had a quick look in my files, in which I have some copies of pages taken from ‘The Red Hackle’ April 1921, (monthly regimental journal?)

25-26 Sept 1915. I.B.’S first objective was HOHENZOLLERN Redoubt and E. of FOSSE 8. Zero was 06.30. 8/B.W. were in support with 8/Gordons, 5/Camerons, and 7/Seaforth leading. At 07.00 the redoubt was taken and Dump Trench W. of FOSSE 8. Casualties were heavy from M.G. and artillery fire. 09.30 CORONS and FOSSE 8 were captured by a mixed force of B.W. and Camerons, and a line was consolidated, which held till 01.30 on 26th. 18.00 Information arrived that brigades on R. and L. had retired, but, failing orders to contrary, 26 I.B. held on till 73 I.B. commenced relieving. The enemy counter attacked heavily on R., but was driven off by M.G. and rifle fire.

26 Sept . Relief was completed by 02.30, the remnant of the Brigade acting as reserve.

27 Sept. Enemy attacked HOHENZOLLERN, and about 08.30 100 B.W. reinforced 73 I.B., and at 10.30 succeeded in checking the attack. 15.00 26 I.B. advanced to re-occupy the ground given up by 73 I.B., but was held up by heavy artillery and M.G. fire. At 17.30 85 I.B. relieved 26 I.B., and latter was withdrawn. 8/B.W. having lost in three days 18 Officers and 402 O.R. 7 Officers were killed – Major Collins, Capts. Bowes-Lyon, Moubray, Lts. E. Mackintosh, Sanderson, 2/Lts. Shaw and C. M’Intosh. 11 wounded – Lt-Col. Lord Sempill, Majors Henderson and Stewart, Capts. Houston-Boswall, M’Tavish, and M’Clure, Lts. Butter and Strange, 2L/ts. Forbes, Murry and Forrester.

28 Sept. Battalion moved to BETHUNE.

• 6 years later...
Guest Cameronian26

Question: Was Lt Edwin Mackintosh related to Edwin Mackintosh senior, who was a Far Eastern Partner (manager) of John Swire and Sons back in the 1870s / 1880s? Perhaps Lt E. Mackintosh was a son or a nephew. I am curious as I know that a previous message mentions that Lt Mackintosh's family were ship owners, and I know, that at least in later years Swires dealt in shipping. If Lt Mackintosh is indeed related to Edwin Mackintosh, then I have some interesting information.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (RichardCameron2 @ Dec 15 2008, 02:22 AM) Question: Was Lt Edwin Mackintosh related to Edwin Mackintosh senior, who was a Far Eastern Partner (manager) of John Swire and Sons back in the 1870s / 1880s? Perhaps Lt E. Mackintosh was a son or a nephew. I am curious as I know that a previous message mentions that Lt Mackintosh's family were ship owners, and I know, that at least in later years Swires dealt in shipping. If Lt Mackintosh is indeed related to Edwin Mackintosh, then I have some interesting information.

Edwin Snr is buried in Hertingfordbury, on the back of his headstone is a dedication to Edwin Jnr.

It reads "In Loving Memory of Edwin Hampson Mackintosh, Lieutenant 8th Bn. The Black Watch.

Who was killed in action 25 Sep 1915. Aged 27 years. At Holenzollern Redoubt. Battle of Loos"

Edwin Snr - 26th May 1841 Died 11th August 1904.

Hope this helps.

3236731277_2fa1c8355b.jpg

E.H. Mackintosh, Memorial, 1915, Hertingfordbury by PaulHP, on Flickr

• 2 years later...

Mike

Again, many thanks. My original query was in the context that I was writing the bicentennial history of Lloyd's Patriotic Fund, which was published in 2003.

Charles M

Better late than never though.

I was Viewing Online List, forgot where I was, and thought it was a new thread. I can be a bit dippy, it's part of my charm :P

Cheers Mike

Archived