Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

36th Div Patches

roger

Can anyone elaborate on the description of battle patches worn by the 36th (Ulster) Div?

I have the Osprey British Battle Insignia by Mike Chappell so I am happy with the design of patches for each brigade. What I would like to know is what colour were the patches for each of the battalions within the brigade?

I know the 9/Royal Irish Fusiliers wore red semi circles (!05th Brigade)

Roger.

Roger

I hope this will help, all flashes worn at the top of both sleeves

107th Brigade

8th Royal Irish Rifles - Dark blue inverted triangle

9th Royal Irish Rifles - Orange inverted triangle

10th Royal Irish Rifles - Purple inverted triangle with 1/2" yellow stripe parallel with leading edge when on sleeve.

15th Royal Irish Rifles - Red inverted triangle

108th Brigade

11th Royal Irish Rifles - Orange half oval

12th Royal Irish Rifles - Blue/grey half oval

13th Royal Irish Rifles - Rifle green half oval

9th Royal Irish Fusiliers - Red half oval

109th Brigade

9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Yellow rectangle

10th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Orange & purple vertically bisected rectangle

11th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Dark blue rectangle

14th Royal Irish Rifles - Blue/grey rectangle

August 1917 8th & 9th Royal Irish Rifles amalgamated into 8th/9th Battalion and until disbandment in Feb 1918 wore an orange and blue inverted triangle (vertically bisected)

13/11/17 11th & 13th Royal Irish Rifles amalgamated into 11th/13th Batallion and wore an orange and rifle green half oval (vertically bisected)

16th Royal Irish Rifles, the divisional pioneers, wore a green shield with the red hand embroidered in the centre.

This is the scheme up to February 1918 when the brigades were reduced to 3 battalions and there were a number of disbandments and new units introduced into the reorganised division. I will sort out the details applicable then, plus divisional units and post again later.

Mike.

Roger

From the reduction to 3 battalion brigades in Feb 1918 the following applies to the infantry.

107th Brigade

1st Royal Irish Rifles - Black & green inverted triangle (vertically bisected)

2nd Royal Irish Rifles - Rifle green inverted triangle

15th Royal Irish Rifles - Red inverted traingle

108th Brigade

12th Royal Irish rifles - Dark blue half oval

1st Royal Irish Fusiliers - Green half oval

9th Royal Irish Fusiliers - Red half oval

109th Brigade

1st Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Dark blue rectangle

2nd Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Red rectangle

9th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers - Yellow rectangle

Machine Gun Corps

107th Machine Gun Company - Red and blue inverted triangle (vertically bisected) worn on left arm, red to front

108th Machine Gun Company - Red and blue half oval (vertically bisected) worn as above

109th Machine Gun Company - Red and blue rectangle (vertically bisected) worn as above.

Other Divisional units as follows-

121st Field Company RE - Dark blue inverted triangle with red hand embroidered in centre

122nd Field Company RE - Dark blue half oval with red hand

150th Field Company RE - Dark blue rectangle with red hand

108th Field Ambulance RAMC - Black half oval with red hand embroidered in centre

109th Field Ambulance RAMC - Black rectangle with red hand

110th Field Ambulance RAMC - Black inverted triangle with red hand

36th Divisional Train (251, 252, 253 & 254 Companies ASC) - White shield with black border and red hand in centre

48th Mobile Veterinary Section - Royal blue shield with dark red border and red hand in centre.

Much of this information came from the Royal Irish Rangers Museum during the 1980's

Mike

Mike,

Thanks very much, that is the info I require.

One more question, were these patches repeated on both sides of the steel helmet?

Cheers,

Roger. :)

Did anyone spot the not so deliberate mistake in my original posting? I meant 108th brigade not 105th, not even the same division, doh!

Mike,

Thats ok. The reason I asked about the battle patches is because my next model painting project is a soldier of the 9th RIF. The painting insructions show a red half oval on the sleeves as you described. They are also shown on the helmet cover.

The reason I asked about the battle patches is because I may paint the figure as a soldier from a different battalion of the 36th Div. ;)

Thanks again,

Roger.